HATSKI denim

conqueror

description from namu shop, which i believe is one of only two retailers currently carrying the label outside of japan:

Based in Osaka, HATSKI [Hatsuki] was launched in 2016, making it one of the youngest labels we carry. Focused purely on jeans, HATSKI leverages some of the most impressive, high quality denim for modern, playful fits. We’ve found their pared-down philosophy and hard-to-find fits (higher waists, roomy cuts, and sleek tapers) to be a breath of fresh air. They cite nature as their primary inspiration, specifically citing the month of August, lush skies, and clear waters as inspiration – we’re not completely sure how those things tie back to denim, but for us, it captures nicely how good you feel in a pair of HATSKI jeans.

anyway, i remember reading about them on heddels years ago and decided i wanted to try something different beyond the names everyone knows and loves. i get the impression the label and cuts won't appeal to the repro stronghold on here, but thought they were worth posting about anyway.

they make three main cuts: the straight, the loose taper, and the regular taper all in selvage, multiple washes, and sizes 0-5. i bought the loose taper (HTK-22001) in one wash, size 5 from them directly and despite some language barriers and being sent the incorrect size initially, it was a smooth process overall.

happy to post some photos of the jeans, labels etc if people are interested as (english) information on the label is limited, but in the meantime you can check them out on IG at @hatski_official, or https://www.hatski.shop.

similar to orslow, one huge plus for me is didn't need to hem my pair at all due to the short inseam (noting i'm tall at 186cm, but also have short legs for my height).

namu-shop-hatski-loose-tapered-denim-one

Edited by conqueror

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Thanks for posting. Brands that do this kind of sizing (0-5 or XS-XL. just like orSlow) are always a little bit suspect to me but as long as the fit is right, it's all good. You got some pics of your pair?

it's funny you're the first to reply - when i was posting i thought you would be one of the few that might be interested based on your previous fits (denime, 60s cuts with short inseams etc) over the years.

from memory we have similar measurements, too (i'm 186cm/85kg). 

Edited by conqueror

photography is not my strength and it seems like the files have compressed a lot with uploading. 

measurements are somewhat deceiving, especially the waist, as these are a much higher rise (a positive for me) than pictures may suggest. denim feels somewhat flat and even without much slubiness. i really like the subtle 'h' on each button compared to the same old crested donut, too.

IMG_5560.thumb.jpg.6efae03fcaed5d3c985c2233ffbc3d19.jpg

IMG_5550.thumb.jpg.f633776fac64564912fcf924ecac109f.jpg

IMG_5551.thumb.jpg.46c9f90d0ea3c8f76793e6f632840c95.jpg

IMG_5552.thumb.jpg.4fa05bc4c28ba359a8ad7db9873599bd.jpg

IMG_5555.thumb.jpg.242aec4bfdfa956779820cdc7eee2fbc.jpg

IMG_5554.thumb.jpg.3fd250a421bd454a58430cf469667b84.jpg

IMG_5553.thumb.jpg.3c14fd7c97fc379c90365e4223df8035.jpg

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5558.thumb.jpg.245398a7921c4590a4fb11ff693c7901.jpg

IMG_5559.thumb.jpg.bf013231e51e687168cc23077100b34c.jpg

Edited by conqueror

2 hours ago, conqueror said:

it's funny you're the first to reply - when i was posting i thought you would be one of the few that might be interested based on your previous fits (denime, 60s cuts with short inseams etc) over the years.

from memory we have similar measurements, too (i'm 186cm/85kg). 

I saw them first on reddit I think or maybe IG. Not sureI am a fan of the pattern/cuts but it's nice to see something new.
Yep, we are the same height, i'm just a bit ligther these days.

Hatski became my go to brand for jeans after getting my first pairs from the now defunct and absolutely brilliant shop Alpha Shadows

I now own around 20 pairs or so - some too worn in/out to wear. I also like their different washes and really miss their overdyed indigo.

I’m around the same height and weight as you and the loose tapered fit suits me amazingly - high rise, loose around seat and thighs and perfectly tapered. Some will probably be a little put off by the short inseam, but I think it works well for me. I’ve always preferred a shorter inseam.

So I consider them some of the best and most interesting jeans around - but I don’t think they’re for everyone :)

Edited by simontuntelder

9 hours ago, simontuntelder said:

Hatski became my go to brand for jeans after getting my first pairs from the now defunct and absolutely brilliant shop Alpha Shadows

I now own around 20 pairs or so - some too worn in/out to wear. I also like their different washes and really miss their overdyed indigo.

I’m around the same height and weight as you and the loose tapered fit suits me amazingly - high rise, loose around seat and thighs and perfectly tapered. Some will probably be a little put off by the short inseam, but I think it works well for me. I’ve always preferred a shorter inseam.

So I consider them some of the best and most interesting jeans around - but I don’t think they’re for everyone :)

20 pairs is insane! do you have the 'wide taper' cut? apparently it was only released just before christmas, but i only found out after making my order for the loose taper. might try it in a year or so.

agreed with short inseam, particularly because i have short legs for my height. getting other repro denim taken up with a proper chainstitch is/was always an expensive pain in the ass.

Edited by conqueror

2 hours ago, oomslokop said:

agree on alpha shadows. great shop. they also used to carry boncoura before it was all the (semi-)rage. 

Tom was first to introduce a lot of brands to the west from Japan and South Korea.

Way ahead of his time and unfortunately didn’t get the recognition and traction that his shop needed. I think covid was the final spike in the coffin.

2 hours ago, conqueror said:

20 pairs is insane! do you have the 'wide taper' cut? apparently it was only released just before christmas, but i only found out after making my order for the loose taper. might try it in a year or so.

agreed with short inseam, particularly because i have short legs for my height. getting other repro denim taken up with a proper chainstitch is/was always an expensive pain in the ass.

I think I got my first pairs from Alpha shadows in 2017 or 2018 and has since then been buying a few pairs at a time from Japan, after AS closed its doors. Living in Denmark, our customs system is crazy expensive, so you better order a few pairs to spread the costs.
Hatski became the only jeans that I wear - to compliment other pants and trousers from mainly Orslow (another favourite)

I haven’t seen the wide tapered that you mention. I’ve only seen the wide model, which didn’t seem too interesting considering it’s a fit that many denim brands offer.
I mainly buy the loose tapered and have some “regular tapered” and their “regular” - I think the regular tapered would work the best for most people, but I have very muscular thighs, so I need the loose tapered model to look somewhat normal.