Lightweight Japanese Denims?

dawei94

Given most denim is midweight (what I'll call 13oz to 16oz) and there's a fair amount of heavy denims (over 16oz) available as well but not a lot of makers of lightweight denim, I thought it might make sense to have a dedicated thread to lightweight denims. The ones that are available off the top of my head are the Oni 12oz Kiraku denim (many models), the PBJ 1143's 12oz denim, the Momotaro 0405-12 denim, various Japan Blue denims (there seems to be at least 3 in the below 13oz range), and the Sugar Cane 2014's 12oz denim. Are there any other lightweight denims out there that people are aware of, and what do you like / dislike about any of them?

17 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Warehouse, fullcount, denime. Resolute, evisus summer denim are also around that 13oz range, so on the lighter end of the spectrum

I didn't know that Evisu had a summer denim, that's definitely helpful to know! I would have categorized most of the others as midweight since they're ~14oz, but the Fullcount 13.7oz and Warehouse banner denim are definitely more pliable / comfortable than most denims in that weight range and more in line with a lightweight denim. Will need to go check out Resolute, and do you know what the current state of Denime is? I saw they got acquired by Warehouse, but not sure if they've released any new product yet

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I believe all of the LVC models are <13oz pre-wash and are now made from Japanese denim (Kaihara mills I think).

I think, pre-soak the weight is often around 12oz and then after the wash 14oz. 
That seems to be typical for the denim of the 40s and 50s. Possibly 60s (not sure).
The Jelado founder was saying that in a recent interview, where he talked about scientifically analysing vintage XX Levis and then upon the knowledge producing his Last Resort denim.