Safety razors

i shave with the grain first pass, then against the grain second pass.

however, i usually dont shave against the grain cause i dont have time. 

i only shave with a DE razor when i have a lot of time, but most of the time i use an electric razor. i just got a foil razor to replace my rotary razor and it didnt seem to be that much better. I only got the foil razor because it was a wet/dry shaver and it makes it possible to shave on a humid day as oppose to my dry, rotary razor.

Edited by mr.invincible

man, if you 'don't have time' then DE shaving might not be for you! saying that, it should only take 15mins at the absolute max. i hate electric razors as i find they aren't close enough and give me ingrown hairs, but if you've found one you like maybe stay with that? save the DE for special occasions or something.

yea, usually i save it for special occasions but i need to improve my shaving technique when i do. i dont want to keep hacking myself.

just watched the geofatboy video and he doesnt really steam his face? just some hot water splashes and itll suffice? and all this time i thot we need to steam our faces.

wow, so i haven't posted in this thread in seven years but  with regard to wet-shaving - attrition has streamlined my process. i've gone through various phases, and even own a huge shaving scuttle (that has been sitting unused in my closet). i've done away with the hot towel with no ill effects.

i soak my brush while i splash my face with warm water and apply proraso preshave.

i build lather on my face using the brush and mama bear soap.

shave with the grain, 90 degrees to the grain and 45 degrees to the grain. (going against the grain is almost guaranteed suicide for me; YMMV)

then splash with clubman pinaud aftershave.

i haven't timed myself but this probably takes seven minutes from start to finish.

i don't go for perfection and that strategy has saved me from pain and loss of flesh.

wabi sabi

that's the thing with shaving, 'ymmv' is so commonly used on forums because there seems to be so many different things that work for different setups/skin types/beard coarseness etc. personally for me:

1. soak brush (i've gone back to a badger after using boar for a year or so).

2. hot shower.

3. splash face again with warm water.

4. build up lather (proraso super sensitive) in bowl.

5. apply + shave everywhere wtg.

6. re-apply + shave xtg (face) + shave atg (neck).

7. splash face with cold water.

8. cleanup.

i always use a feather and replace the blade after every 2nd shave. like ddl, i don't go for a 'bbs' or total perfection due to the hair on the left side of my neck growing in all different directions. my skin is also incredibly sensitive so i can't use any aftershave or moisturiser as everything just goes bright red and burns like crazy.

Edited by conqueror

for a while now ive been using thayers cumcumber witch hazel (non-alcohol) as my aftershave. 

i really want to setup my aftershave game tho.

but imma start using it more often and just keep practicing and hopefully it'll turn into a quick and effective morning routine for me.

I usually do two passes WTG and one last pass ATG. I use an Edwin Jagger DE89L. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to completely shave. Once you get the technique down it's actually a pretty quick process.

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to starting with a safety razor this week, I'm already incredibly pleased with the results. Incredibly easy to clean, much cheaper (after the initial investment), and I actually have gotten far less nicks and no ingrown hairs compared to my old cartridge razor

Relatively cheap razor (microtouch), entry-level edwin jagger badger-hair brush, and proraso soap - one pass wtg, and as of yesterday, have been doing a second pass atg with even better results, followed with aesop neroli post-shave lotion

• 1 year later...

*bump*

I've been using a DE razor for 8 yrs now and still enjoy it. Like many shavers, I used to use the overpriced plastic Gillettes but then I discovered the world of DE shaving and haven't looked back. I probably own a dozen or so DE razors like a Gillette Fatboy, Gillette Fat handle tech (my favorite), Merkur, and a few others I can't recall. I like the Fat Handle Tech because it's gentle on my face but I've since gone back to using my Merkur because it's slightly more aggressive and works better for my coarse whiskers. I used to be a collector but grew tired of it. I still own around 100 Personna blades that I suspect i'll own for another 20 yrs.

I do still occasionally use a 4 blade disposable when i'm really pressed for time, but more often than not my DE razor is my go to.