Super(blogs)

busterthehuman

Howdy everyone - thought it would be interesting to talk about denim-related or community aligned blogs (and their posts) in this thread here.

I have my own, too, so I'll post on here occasionally when I update it or release something new.

I'll start with some of my favorites - 

https://denimhunters.com/

https://almostvintagestyle.com/

http://thedenimhound.com/

Feel free to share your own or any posts that you enjoy!

From my perspective.. blogs seem more about self promotion than true denim knowledge.. if you want true denim knowledge you need to pick through the forums, like this one for instance.. when you've been around the game for as long as some of us reading articles like 'How to Cuff Your Jeans' 'Denim Explained' ect it's just face palmingly laughable, they're alright for clueless noobs i suppose who just want a superficial grasp of the culture.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I don’t read blogs. Japanalogue is the only one I’ve read with any regularity, but only because he interviews denim brands, which I find more interesting.

I’ve watched the occasional vlog on YouTube but again, not very interesting to watch some dude talk about jeans for 10 minutes unless I’m obsessed with something specific 

I've been reading the blogs, and I've found some interesting and useful things there. People who devote their time and energy to maintaining such resources inspire me with reverence and amazement. I could not be able to do that.

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Forget blogs, I’ve heard there are websites with forums/fora dedicated to discussion purely on jeans. Can you imagine?

You're shitting me right?

The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

20 hours ago, busterthehuman said:

Howdy everyone - thought it would be interesting to talk about denim-related or community aligned blogs (and their posts) in this thread here.

I have my own, too, so I'll post on here occasionally when I update it or release something new.

I'll start with some of my favorites - 

https://denimhunters.com/

https://almostvintagestyle.com/

http://thedenimhound.com/

Feel free to share your own or any posts that you enjoy!

Buster, I think the idea to talk about blogs is a good one - why do write yours, what do you do it for and what do you hope to achieve?

I used to spend a good amount of time on old Japanese blogs. But for the most part they are no longer updated, have been replaced with weird text that doesn’t look like any language on earth or have just disappeared completely such as Jeans Pavilion. Hearing (and agreeing with) some of the complaints here I found the Japanese enthusiasts blogs far less ‘basic’.

Here are a few that I can recall and still exist

http://wrangler.jugem.jp/?eid=346#gsc.tab=0

Quite a few we’re just reams of pictures, fine with me: http://blog.livedoor.jp/char3red3/

https://www.denimba.com/about (More recently denim bridge focussed, but historically loads of brands covered) 

A more recent one from a TCB fanboy: https://kameisenpai.hatenablog.com/

Not specifically denim but worth a dig: https://www.bandanna-almanac.com/the-bandanna-almanac

And I enjoy the company blogs like Warehouse staff and TCB, but these are more glorified adverts than actual blogs. 

Last but not least, it’d remiss not to include Paul T’s. Loads of knowledge here: http://loomstate.blogspot.com/?m=1

Edited by unders

19 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I was just reading your post on Amekaji, great stuff! Looking forward to more.

I haven't written much lately at my blog Rocktransformed but I'm planning to add some new articles soon. If nothing else, I will keep my fade archive up to date as I work through my jeans.

Thank you! Didn't know you were rocktransformed. Glad you liked the post on Amekaji, it was a lot of fun to put together! 

15 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

From my perspective.. blogs seem more about self promotion than true denim knowledge.. if you want true denim knowledge you need to pick through the forums, like this one for instance.. when you've been around the game for as long as some of us reading articles like 'How to Cuff Your Jeans' 'Denim Explained' ect it's just face palmingly laughable, they're alright for clueless noobs i suppose who just want a superficial grasp of the culture.

You may be right - but I feel like a lot of the people who write those articles are obviously doing it for the beginners, no? A lot of them have more in-depth pieces and reviews on denim / boots, etc. Maybe you haven't found the right blog for you yet!

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Buster, I think the idea to talk about blogs is a good one - why do write yours, what do you do it for and what do you hope to achieve?

Thanks Duke - I started it because when I opened a lot of blogs and their articles I felt like I was stepping into something I knew nothing about. I'm still an amateur to this and I love to learn. There's so much information on denim and the technical aspect / history of it and I only have barely scratched the surface. I kind of wanted it to be a place I could spill my thoughts on that was formatted the way I like it (not insta or a forum) and somewhere where I could share my discovery of things that interest me along with what I'm learning as I go along. I'd like for it to be an easily approachable place where you could pick anything I write and learn something from it - that's it. 

Double 0 has a point, a lot of blogs cover topics that aren't interesting to those who've been "in the game" for a long time. When I touch on those subjects, it's usually in a more editorial manner of sharing my particular opinion on what I think works, and Jake/AlmostVintageStyle's blog is even more in that vein, which I like. But I don't think it's bad there are blogs like Denimhunters as it's useful information for noobs who don't yet have any of this accumulated knowledge we take for granted.

Like @unders i used to gather a lot of information from JP blog sites and i'll add GeoCities (RIP) to the list. I also used to follow blogs attached to Japanese stores.. Junky, Warriors, 49's for instance.. alas as previously mentioned a lot are now defunct and ive become jaded by it all.., in recent years a new gen of denimheads have come along which has coincided with the influencer culture and everything has become a bit more lazy and simplistic, the quest for knowledge has gone, replaced with.. well, the quest for clicks.

I would hazard a guess that 99% of recent denim blogging has been previously discussed on here, if only folks could be arsed to look for if they would be in for a treat and find a much broader perspective. Take Jake's blog for instance, i only read his CSF post and it was just a re-writing of the CSF thread over on DB, all points had been previously discussed and not by him, he offered me nothing new.. but that's best left in the past.. (a little wizard hasn't been milked that vigorously since Debbie Mcgee met Paul Daniels :D) that's what annoys me about lazy writing ie "How to Cuff" nobody is that stupid, that blog post serves one purpose and that's exposure. Try it for yourself..  Type Conners Sewing Factory (for instance) into g-images the first 3 images are from heddles, and the next batch are either almostvintage, indigoveins or denimhunters rather than the forums/source info.

9 hours ago, busterthehuman said:

Thanks Duke - I started it because when I opened a lot of blogs and their articles I felt like I was stepping into something I knew nothing about. I'm still an amateur to this and I love to learn. There's so much information on denim and the technical aspect / history of it and I only have barely scratched the surface. I kind of wanted it to be a place I could spill my thoughts on that was formatted the way I like it (not insta or a forum) and somewhere where I could share my discovery of things that interest me along with what I'm learning as I go along. I'd like for it to be an easily approachable place where you could pick anything I write and learn something from it - that's it. 

So do you consider yourself a sciolist or a dilettante?

Don’t answer that unless you genuinely have balls of steel - I’m almost joking when I ask.

What I am asking is if you consider yourself an abedecarian yet hope readers can learn, what level of reader/knowledge are you pitching at?

My general gripe with some of the denim-related blogs is that they can be trite and vacuous, and read like Instagram caption bingo - they can lack integrity. This is where I agree with @Double 0 Soul to an extent, and why I quoted JFK.

I definitely think there’s a place for blogs … I’m obviously reading them (and yours)! They have the potential to be interesting and informative but I’d really love to see the bloggers try hard (harder), do more (original) research, and more than anything try to avoid building on that ‘raw denim’ fakery which has become ‘persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.’

Blogs have the advantage over forums in that they are compact and focused, however social media culture allows them to be the truth without question - on a forum there are likely to be responses and challenges of some substance. It’s that type of interaction the creates new knowledge rather than regurgitates it.

In the meantime I’ll keep reading and hoping, and maybe eventually I’ll become an ‘expert’ on blogs! :laugh2:

59 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Aye but then I’d face a torrent of abuse about how badly written it was :angry2:

No, but you could use more simplistic terminology rather than sciolist, dilettante or abedicarian. I need a fuckin Roget's thesaurus sometimes when you're posting :laugh::laugh: !

(joke)

27 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

No, but you could use more simplistic terminology rather than sciolist, dilettante or abedicarian. I need a fuckin Roget's thesaurus sometimes when you're posting :laugh::laugh: !

(joke)

What a great joke - awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me because I just really love using these words, they’re so cool, I’m just trying to live a good story and keep my comments raw just like my denim blah blah fucking blah … :laugh2:

(the joke being you need to work to know the words so the return is greater)

Edited by Duke Mantee

21 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

What a great joke - awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me because I just really love using these words, they’re so cool, I’m just trying to live a good story and keep my comments raw just like my denim blah blah fucking blah … :laugh2:

(the joke being you need to work to know the words so the return is greater)

'Like'