Super(blogs)

busterthehuman

@Double 0 Soul There are few blogs that take the amount of time and put in the amount of effort you did making the M-Series archive. This is one of the points I was making earlier - blogs don’t have (by necessity sometimes) much depth; you can see/read the amount of research is limited.

There are some very honourable exceptions but I feel they are slowly disappearing and are being replaced by the casual opinion pieces that, despite what bloggers tell us or hope for, really aren’t much use in a learning/research process.

13 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I compiled a catalogue of every pair of Sugarcane M-Series jeans from the 1990's

..being from a pre-internet age, it took me years of research, i used to have it posted on a forum called Denimbro, it was the only place on the internet where it existed.. but one day one of the mods took it upon himself to start deleting all of our work without even having the decency to ask if we wanted it :rolleyes: i didn't have a back up, but a forum member to whom i will always owe a dept of gratitute recovered it for me via the Wayback Machine (what a hero) so i posted it here instead.

I could have posted it in a blog but the way i look at it, forums have given me so much over the years, i like to give as much back as possible.

Wow!

Thanks for doing this - that's insanely cool. There's something in the fact that people like yourself take stuff like this so seriously and take it upon themselves to dedicate time and effort into something so rad. I'll definitely check it out. That's intense that it was almost completely wiped from the internet. 

There is so much gold like that^ buried in the forums, you just have to seek it out.. as previously noted, search engines don't make life easy when they send you to the blogs but it's so rewarding when you hit a rich seem of information and so annoying that a lot of that information is lost to the ether thanks to the mishandling of denimbro.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://indigoamateur.com/2022/04/04/sustainability-in-our-clothing-and-why-i-wear-pre-loved-boots/

New blog post on sustainability and my personal experience. Wanted this to be a quick think-piece on the way we consume products and why we should wear more, buy less. Hopefully doesn't come across holier-than-thou. 

Of course any C&C appreciated; I am learning as I go along and I do a lot of research but if I miss anything or if there is misinformation, as I know someone will, let me know!

Enjoy!

/ You’re right to point out that fiber production itself (either plant or animal) is often very problematic from an environmental standpoint, but it doesn’t have to be. Carbon-neutral and climate-beneficial cottons, bast fibers, and wools are are actively developed by folks like Sally Fox (whom some here might be familiar with through Studio d’Artisan’s recent collaborations), and, more broadly, are studied and funded by organizations like Fibershed. If this is something you care about, buying second-hand is obviously the best option—but there’s still plenty of room to buy first-hand and support producers who are taking the right approach. Of course, buying local is always best when possible, and these requirements can often be at odds with each other.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

While some of the points you made are valid and important points, I fail to see how mentioning the fact that you are vegan has anything to do with the article. Other than that great reading in my opinion. 

Hey friends - thanks for your feedback. Because it's my personal blog there will be personal elements strewn into the pieces that are opinionated. Although if there are facts stated, like I said previously, they can be incorrect sometimes but I try to be very thorough with my research. If you want some more reading or videos where I pull my info from please shoot me a message!

Thanks for reading and your feedback!!

Edited by busterthehuman

On 4/11/2022 at 5:32 AM, busterthehuman said:

https://indigoamateur.com/2022/04/04/sustainability-in-our-clothing-and-why-i-wear-pre-loved-boots/

New blog post on sustainability and my personal experience. Wanted this to be a quick think-piece on the way we consume products and why we should wear more, buy less. Hopefully doesn't come across holier-than-thou. 

Of course any C&C appreciated; I am learning as I go along and I do a lot of research but if I miss anything or if there is misinformation, as I know someone will, let me know!

Enjoy!

I agree with others here - I’m not sure why you mention being vegan then undermine it by accepting leather patches (you also wear leather boots) and saying you avoid wool (except for your RMC Tanker jacket).

But then veganism seems to be the new Christianity - constantly being preached at by any one of dozens of denominations that can’t seem to agree with each other.

Strong finish though …

• 4 months later...

@busterthehuman I see you’ve studied the USN Regulations a bit - well done - I think that gives the blog a bit more credibility. There’s a lot of stuff about Sperry available (many sneaker sites as well as the company’s own) but I have it in my mind there’ll be plenty of folk that probably never thought much about the CVO (the sole unit first specifically) being commissioned into USN contracts.

Arguably Sperry didn’t invent the idea for ‘siping’ but much like Edison, he was probably a better businessman than he was an inventor.

Still, it’s a shoe that has most definitely stood the test of time.

A few images of the 40s issue:

686FE4C0-8B22-47CD-A39B-1BA085D79AC0.jpeg

18A775C3-70B4-42B2-A6F1-D81F70D7FF3B.jpeg

159D08DE-ED48-4A5C-B79F-EF586A30C2FB.jpeg

9C0ADCC4-34CD-4E9E-AE6A-15275B3D25CE.jpeg

39ED9867-8749-4354-AD9B-1B357365B548.jpeg

7804C951-3FD8-4244-9371-576A2737FE3D.jpeg

0B3CA5E0-1D1B-45D0-8A46-05519919DE1E.jpeg

AC39693F-2130-4929-BF80-7A72F511D625.jpeg

3F7A3126-1796-46C1-8842-E707E91F57CE.jpeg

On 8/30/2022 at 11:52 AM, Duke Mantee said:

@busterthehuman I see you’ve studied the USN Regulations a bit - well done - I think that gives the blog a bit more credibility. There’s a lot of stuff about Sperry available (many sneaker sites as well as the company’s own) but I have it in my mind there’ll be plenty of folk that probably never thought much about the CVO (the sole unit first specifically) being commissioned into USN contracts.

Arguably Sperry didn’t invent the idea for ‘siping’ but much like Edison, he was probably a better businessman than he was an inventor.

Still, it’s a shoe that has most definitely stood the test of time.

A few images of the 40s issue:

686FE4C0-8B22-47CD-A39B-1BA085D79AC0.jpeg

18A775C3-70B4-42B2-A6F1-D81F70D7FF3B.jpeg

159D08DE-ED48-4A5C-B79F-EF586A30C2FB.jpeg

9C0ADCC4-34CD-4E9E-AE6A-15275B3D25CE.jpeg

39ED9867-8749-4354-AD9B-1B357365B548.jpeg

7804C951-3FD8-4244-9371-576A2737FE3D.jpeg

0B3CA5E0-1D1B-45D0-8A46-05519919DE1E.jpeg

AC39693F-2130-4929-BF80-7A72F511D625.jpeg

3F7A3126-1796-46C1-8842-E707E91F57CE.jpeg

Thanks for sharing buddy! These are great photos.