Super(blogs)

busterthehuman

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Like @unders i used to gather a lot of information from JP blog sites and i'll add GeoCities (RIP) to the list. I also used to follow blogs attached to Japanese stores.. Junky, Warriors, 49's for instance.. alas as previously mentioned a lot are now defunct and ive become jaded by it all.., in recent years a new gen of denimheads have come along which has coincided with the influencer culture and everything has become a bit more lazy and simplistic, the quest for knowledge has gone, replaced with.. well, the quest for clicks.

I would hazard a guess that 99% of recent denim blogging has been previously discussed on here, if only folks could be arsed to look for if they would be in for a treat and find a much broader perspective. Take Jake's blog for instance, i only read his CSF post and it was just a re-writing of the CSF thread over on DB, all points had been previously discussed and not by him, he offered me nothing new.. but that's best left in the past.. (a little wizard hasn't been milked that vigorously since Debbie Mcgee met Paul Daniels :D) that's what annoys me about lazy writing ie "How to Cuff" nobody is that stupid, that blog post serves one purpose and that's exposure. Try it for yourself..  Type Conners Sewing Factory (for instance) into g-images the first 3 images are from heddles, and the next batch are either almostvintage, indigoveins or denimhunters rather than the forums/source info.

This is noticeable even on this message board.
Take the Roy thread for example - Half the questions, details and stories are repeated there over time. I’m sure I’ve even had my own posts from years prior quoted back to me. Really enjoy it when people reply to my own comments on the (a)subject as if I’m a idiot, and then use an old post of mine as reference material to do so :);) 

Such is the denim circle of life.  - I’ll still keep buying them if they keep making em. 
Shame about credit not being served on the original content though for CF and such. 

Edited by UkeNo

I still refer back to Repeat to Fade and Loomstate too.

A further couple of blogs I’ve enjoyed over the years are:

• Denim etc - he posts occasionally on Denimbro but I don’t think he’s active here. Sadly the blog hasn’t been updated in a while
  • Paul T - a predecessor to his loomstate blog and also contains much of the info that was later (I think) consolidated into his excellent LVC 501 thread here on Sufu

14 hours ago, Geeman said:

@busterthehuman which is your blog?

I check Heddles out every now and then , 99% of the content is of no interest or just lifted from else where but I do like their 5 plus 1 articles. 

Last week they had a "what type of of denim are you quiz".......:blush2:

Heddels is.. decent. I like when they do brand spotlights or talk about certain collections in depth, but it mostly just seems like advertising now.

My blog is https://indigoamateur.com/ ; I'm working on a new piece about sustainability at the moment.

13 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

So do you consider yourself a sciolist or a dilettante?

Don’t answer that unless you genuinely have balls of steel - I’m almost joking when I ask.

What I am asking is if you consider yourself an abedecarian yet hope readers can learn, what level of reader/knowledge are you pitching at?

My general gripe with some of the denim-related blogs is that they can be trite and vacuous, and read like Instagram caption bingo - they can lack integrity. This is where I agree with @Double 0 Soul to an extent, and why I quoted JFK.

I definitely think there’s a place for blogs … I’m obviously reading them (and yours)! They have the potential to be interesting and informative but I’d really love to see the bloggers try hard (harder), do more (original) research, and more than anything try to avoid building on that ‘raw denim’ fakery which has become ‘persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.’

Blogs have the advantage over forums in that they are compact and focused, however social media culture allows them to be the truth without question - on a forum there are likely to be responses and challenges of some substance. It’s that type of interaction the creates new knowledge rather than regurgitates it.

In the meantime I’ll keep reading and hoping, and maybe eventually I’ll become an ‘expert’ on blogs! :laugh2:

I would say neither, I'm being as genuine as possible - hahah.

I didn't create the blog with a learning curve. I created it in hopes of people actually interested in this stuff would be able to read a piece and gain something from it, whether they are incredibly knowledgeable in this niche scene or total newbies. At least that's what I want to convey, I don't put too much thought into it, I just wanted it to be fun! I get what you're saying though, I did want this to come across as somewhere we could discuss this stuff, whether a blog piece is trite and unrealistic, or whether we learned something from it and found it fun to read. Nevertheless I hope people enjoy what I put out - as I do really try to source from original places and take info from all over the web. 

Cheers to becoming an 'expert' on blogs because I know I am not one yet! ;)

45 minutes ago, busterthehuman said:

I would say neither, I'm being as genuine as possible - hahah.

I didn't create the blog with a learning curve. I created it in hopes of people actually interested in this stuff would be able to read a piece and gain something from it, whether they are incredibly knowledgeable in this niche scene or total newbies. At least that's what I want to convey, I don't put too much thought into it, I just wanted it to be fun! I get what you're saying though, I did want this to come across as somewhere we could discuss this stuff, whether a blog piece is trite and unrealistic, or whether we learned something from it and found it fun to read. Nevertheless I hope people enjoy what I put out - as I do really try to source from original places and take info from all over the web. 

Cheers to becoming an 'expert' on blogs because I know I am not one yet! ;)

Oh, don’t worry I wasn’t singling out your blog - or any for that matter. 

As I said, I think the idea of blogs is a good thing, and I think this is a good idea for a thread and I hope it flourishes.

At this stage I think many of the denim-related blogs are very similar - they talk about the clothes (or whatever) the blogger owns and present the virtues of that thing with shiny optimism. My preference, and clearly it can only be a preference is for something a bit more substantial or where a bit of detective work unearths some new information.

Let me ask you one more thing; how much work do you put into something you don’t give much thought?

… and good luck with your own blog, I’ve read what you’ve written to date and I’ll be reading the next instalment … sustainability is something that’s a major aspect of my profession.

Edited by Duke Mantee

16 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Oh, don’t worry I wasn’t singling out your blog - or any for that matter. 

As I said, I think the idea of blogs is a good thing, and I think this is a good idea for a thread and I hope it flourishes.

At this stage I think many of the denim-related blogs are very similar - they talk about the clothes (or whatever) the blogger owns and present the virtues of that thing with shiny optimism. My preference, and clearly it can only be a preference is for something a bit more substantial or where a bit of detective work unearths some new information.

Let me ask you one more thing; how much work do you put into something you don’t give much thought?

… and good luck with your own blog, I’ve read what you’ve written to date and I’ll be reading the next instalment … sustainability is something that’s a major aspect of my profession.

No worries - you weren't misunderstood! 

I appreciate the sentiments and agree with you, I think I definitely am trying to avoid being 'like other blogs' if I can. 

As for your question; when it comes naturally, I put in just the right amount of work. :D Learning is fun.

21 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Shame about credit not being served on the original content though for CF and such. 

Yeah, I remember Alex aka Indigoveins aka Bobbo dropping me a pm saying I'm writing a CSF blog post, some of it will broach upon discussion in the old CSF thread but i'll just give y'all a little credit in the post. Thanks Alex.. What a gent!

Whereas dudewhatthe.. Even though his blog states "All Opinions Are My Own" just re-wrote the old thread into his own words, the opinions of others were protrayed to his readers as 'his opinions'  there was no mention as to where he got them.. at this time Buster.. Insta was in it's infancy (if you can imagine such halcyon days) and the only broad church of CSF source info on the interwebz was the old 150something page DB thread.. eventually after some booing, hissing and general pantomime villiany he re-wrote and gave credit to those who's opinions he's taken as his own... So now DB has become a ghost town and that info is lost to all but the most intrepid internet slewth, those opinions would seem like his opinions without the credit... not that i think bloggers really care, forum info's.. peoples opinions seem like fair game but it doesn't take much.. for example, i was reading such and such regarding xyz and i tend to agree with this discussion.

If you had taken someone elses photographs you would credit them (or at least i hope you would) so why not their words.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

If you had taken someone elses photographs you would credit them (or at least i hope you would)

This is an optimistic version of the world we live in haha. I'm a nobody photographer and I still can't even count how many times my work's gotten stolen, sometimes by own clients! What's worse is usually when you catch people they get mad at you, as if you did the shitty thing by pointing out that, um, you need to clear this issue up. Hell, I just sent out a bill to an institution for doing this. People biting shit for their own gain is the grease behind social media's gears, and was for blogs too. Of course it's not everybody but the general outlook was to ask for forgiveness not permission. Words are easier to steal though, and probably are stolen even more often, I'll give it that.

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

Five’s blog doesn’t seem to have a homepage, I think it’s purely chronological, so I’ve linked it on my favourite article of his:

http://five-secondskin.blogspot.com/2009/09/warehouse-warren-dd108.html?m=1

I do try and credit photos, it's just basic good manners, especially when it's within our little denim world.

Re- the m-series archive, they're either my own, credited or from sales posts which i have no morale issue with taking/impossible to verify

Not so much with the quiz because they're not part of our world and not used for gain.

Here’s another: https://long-john.nl/

Whilst we’re in the Benelux, I used to enjoy a blog from a Belgian, based in Antwerp I think, who also had a shop or webstore. He closed everything down a good few years back and resumed his career as an artist iirc. He had a pair of those old Sugar Canes with the Mt Fuji arcs for sale, but sadly too big for me. Anyone remember it?

... searching memory; two blogs I liked were:

http://sanforized.blogspot.com - and https://sanforized.tumblr.com realising how much Tumblr is a forebear for instagram in its 'roll' format... and yes, it is basically a dealer's window; but interesting objects...

another, again linked directly to a producer; the post overalls blog brought some 'spark-joy' as, in some posts, he goes through his own earlier designs, his collection of bits and bobs, and is pretty upfront over the design process and source material...

but yes, blogs as 'how-to' manuals-advertorials vs forum users giving sometimes rosy sometimes unvarnished experience and/or actual fits and real log of wear... a different set of knowledge/s... a different requirement of attentional economies... 

3 hours ago, busterthehuman said:

I love the idea of an online catalog gallery space for all the models of a brand.

I know it's kind of intrinsic with a lot of brands websites now, but some don't do that - you'll have to end up buying their catalogs or Lightning Archive mag!

I compiled a catalogue of every pair of Sugarcane M-Series jeans from the 1990's

..being from a pre-internet age, it took me years of research, i used to have it posted on a forum called Denimbro, it was the only place on the internet where it existed.. but one day one of the mods took it upon himself to start deleting all of our work without even having the decency to ask if we wanted it :rolleyes: i didn't have a back up, but a forum member to whom i will always owe a dept of gratitute recovered it for me via the Wayback Machine (what a hero) so i posted it here instead.

I could have posted it in a blog but the way i look at it, forums have given me so much over the years, i like to give as much back as possible.

Edited by Double 0 Soul