WAYWT 2022 [denim edition]

goodrain

@bartlebyyphonics I’m sure I have, although probably not as much as it deserves. For searching purposes: it’s the Okolehao ranch jacket, from 2019.

I like this and the Palaka blouse both quite a bit, in principle—but, where the Palaka blouse rarely sees any wear in practice, this has been one of my most-worn pieces of clothing over the last couple of years. It’s lined with a light cotton canvas that cuts wind pretty well without being too warm, and the style is super transferable.

The denim is funny. It came pre-washed, and the crease / wrinkle points were already significantly lighter, which made my think it would be quick to lose color (generally a downside, from my perspective, all the more so for jackets). I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by how subtle the wear has been, over time. I think the initial wash must have just been really aggressive. Just as of the last season, it’s started to lighten up nicely in a few high-wear points, and I’m really looking forward to seeing where that goes.

Sadly, no giant side-entry pockets. They’re something I was looking forward to, when I ordered, but it turns out that the stitching is decorative (or, at best, that it serves some other purpose unknown to me). I’ve thought about adding the pockets myself, but decided against it—when I want a medium-weight jacket with pocket space, I can just take the liner out of the Type 900 and be plenty happy.

In another year or so it should be showing enough wear to be worth posting some photos—stay tuned!

@julian-wolf - thanks for that; sorry that the pockets are not the dream! I was wondering if there was a Hawaiian cowboy / military denim shirt cross-over that sun surf was mining! looking fwd to the next years update! interested in hearing on the palaka as I think it is the nearest to the lvc triple pleat they made in gingham / soft cloth that is still in circulation... [in my memory hellers cafe may also have done a cloth blouse, but more dogtooth than gingham...] ; but as ever; impeccable collection [inc. the tender 900], worn well...