Vintage clothing and footwear

Flash

9 hours ago, aho said:

Definitely incredibly risky and it doesn't seem he or his partner are the most professionally trained, etc. to be doing things like this! Honestly got a bit of an adrenaline rush watching, but hopefully they keep it safe moving forward. I'd love to hear some of your stories some day @Sansome1877, I'm sure you've seen some sketchy things as well!

I didn't realize there are actually a few videos out there, here's another with Levi's, Stronghold, etc. found in case anyone hasn't seen it (my first time watching). Funny that it seems all of them know of Brit:

Love this stuff!

10 hours ago, Sansome1877 said:

This must be one of the new owners of Cerro gordo, sketchy planks he’s walking on, I know a guy- who’s partner was killed walking across planks like this...I sure as shit wouldn’t do that- cool video

thanks for posting

You have to know what you are doing very easy to dislodge rocks with your rope as you descend which can kill you easily even with a helmet on.

2 hours ago, H...crimper said:

You have to know what you are doing very easy to dislodge rocks with your rope as you descend which can kill you easily even with a helmet on.

This is one of the reasons why I never rope down anywhere, the shaft divers can have it, too damn dangerous.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I like to imagine all the half naked miners emerging from the mineshaft... miners from the north of England must'uv had it easy.. no matter how hard their day working at t'coal face they would always manage to leave work fully cloathed ;)

These Russian lads mean you don’t have to imagine - but they never had much luck in finding denim of any sort

9C9ACADF-D4F0-43EC-AA96-72863B7B09E6.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
1984-86 Adidas Ivan Lendl Geometric Warm Up (Tracky) Top

fullsizeoutput_2ebf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ec0.jpeg

These were reproduced by Adidas Originals some years ago but this is the 80's Ventex, Made in France version, it's in perfect as new condition, colours are vibrant, the white is super-bright with no signs of yellowing and even the painted zipper is free from chips.

fullsizeoutput_2ec2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ec1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ec3.jpeg

The repro'd version has a different zipper, different labels (of course) and like all flipping repro's they've tweaked/modernised the cut, it's less boxy, longer in the body (familiar story?) probably cut for the pub rather than the tennis court.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ordered this vintage 1960's British army cadet smock and I'm pretty excited to get it , I'm pretty content with what I own as far as reproduction clothing is concerned so for the foreseeable I'm just gonna try and pick up the odd vintage piece 

20210608_194902

20210608_194840

Really cool design and a bit of a change from the regular M-65/51 jackets knocking about , nice bit of wear on it as well which is only a good thing in my book 

Well the ^ smock didn't work out , measurements on the site were way off

So I've been "trying" to take some product pics for the Nippers webstore and id appreciate your input , I'm next to clueless about photography ( as long as its the right way up its usually fine in my book ) 

All deadstock vintage 60/70's sneakers 

DSC_0140 (2)

DSC_0141

DSC_0148

DSC_0149 (2)

DSC_0133

DSC_0134 (2)

DSC_0136

Love the sole on this last pair 

@Flash The pictures look fine enough, at least here on my monitor. A few could maybe be opened up a tad (this means overall lightening, getting a bit more detail in the shadows and trying to make the neutral tones just as close to white as they are black). Try to make sure your histogram is pretty well distributed (again, at least for these sorts of pictures where a full range of tones is important and the subject isn't super dark or light). This sort of even lighting you have is usually preferable for products especially where conveying accurate color and texture is kind of the goal. Your second to last picture is a bit of an awkward crop - the way the sole cuts off there. Nitpickers might get fussy about the crinkles in the background - and a lot of people will pay a service to just knock out the backgrounds to a solid white - but personally I'm not bothered by "imperfections" - as I'd imagine most here would prefer less artifice given the choice.

Some people like to get into it a bit with the styling aspect but then it gets more into trying to make a creative statement as opposed to just conveying the physical in front of your lens. I feel like for the sort of stuff you're dealing with that overly styled pictures don't really help anything. 

Just my two cents - though my expertise is far from product work these days (I spent a short time shooting product for a commercial house, but it drove me bananas).

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Well the ^ smock didn't work out , measurements on the site were way off

So I've been "trying" to take some product pics for the Nippers webstore and id appreciate your input , I'm next to clueless about photography ( as long as its the right way up its usually fine in my book ) 

sorry to hear smock a no-go...

less technical advice than above... but a potted history of the product shot in pics to get an eye for things? how to shoot things? thinking about where to place and light things...?

Spanish still life of 1600s - invented a particular non-space and concentration on the object itself... (something similar happens in Holland too at this time...); 

Juan Sánchez Cotán

image.thumb.png.b3c40561bc251dd02d8a1decccd55b10.png

and Francisco de Zurburan

image.thumb.png.77797f410ce9b10c300d8aeeed090194.png

back to 20th century when Robert Mapplethorpe wasn't doing hardcore s&m portraits he did a mean flower...

image.thumb.png.2d89e6388a538df624438212fc046ffa.png

Walker Evans' photo-story on tools in the 50s gets to the joy of simple things... [note the attention to tonality of background in backgrounds here... it can work with the object or go into other directions...]

image.thumb.png.aaa2278f312f26ac6b3401cf9d775d5b.png

image.thumb.png.3087c3ec077b9991c64f9baa0cfe5fe5.png

Hugo P. Herdeg's 1940s lightswitch gets a bit of dynamism and two-tone going on...

image.thumb.png.501819d2745319fe9a04169361c3d2cd.png

whilst Paul Outerbridge does a lot with shape and form in the 1920s...

image.thumb.png.584d636e3d8bac4d02809cf79b7aa465.png

a favourite of the current moment is Sheltens & Abbenes... I've posted on their re-doing of the flat-lay before... a 2021 version

image.thumb.png.efa79391f3b2b87537146c965f1400ae.png

basically no one way to skin the cat; but practice makes perfect and context makes the object 'become' itself...

1 hour ago, discwork said:

@Flash curious how you're lighting the photos? I'm certainly not a pro, but it looks like the light is dropping off towards the back of the photos. Adding some kind of white poster or foam board opposite your light source may help brighten up some of those spots. This guide has some helpful images on that kind of setup.

:D the sun .... it was an overcast day so I thought I'd give it a go , I've got a lighting rig I bought so I guess I'll try using that indoors 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LGot the vest and im really happy with it , been wanting one for quite a while 

20210826_131110

Fits nice and short on the body , as it should because it was ment as a layering piece for under a field jacket 

20210826_130728

20210826_130748

Really nice condition except for a bit of damage on the back but for an 80 year old vest I think that's OK 

20210826_130512

Alpaca is in good nick except for a few balding spots at the bottom 

20210826_13055820210826_130623

Zip is a little stiff but im gonna give in a little oil and that should sort it out 

Well pleased all in all