WAYWT 2021 [denim edition]

volvo240thebest

7 hours ago, lee porter said:

Hi double 0 when I was about 14 in 1987 we used to go to American classics in London and they had vintage Levi’s in bundles we used to choose by the fade we liked happy days :biggrin:

Sounds like you hit that golden age of UK vintage, i used to collect 70's era MiJ Nike runners in 87 so was always aware of the Levi's by trawling the vintage shops but by the time i got around to buying them in 92 (when i couldn't afford to buy new jeans) the golden sizes with a decent inseam were getting hard to come by and/or too expensive...

I had rent to pay and a hectic social life to consider :D

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:
10 hours ago, lee porter said:

Hi double 0 when I was about 14 in 1987 we used to go to American classics in London and they had vintage Levi’s in bundles we used to choose by the fade we liked happy days :biggrin:

Sounds like you hit that golden age of UK vintage, i used to collect 70's era MiJ Nike runners in 87 so was always aware of the Levi's by trawling the vintage shops but by the time i got around to buying them in 92 (when i couldn't afford to buy new jeans) the golden sizes with a decent inseam were getting hard to come by and/or too expensive...

I had rent to pay and a hectic social life to consider :D

Used to visit London regular mid 80's to mid 90's, originally looking for old Levi's and mainly 50's styled attire. Would visit all the markets, vintage shops, walk the length of the Kings Rd up to American Classics, Kensington Market, Camden on a Sunday. Decent inseam length was always hard to get. Back then never had the budget for the really old good stuff so ended up with mainly 70's Levi's. Often stayed the weekend as generally there was someone I knew living there so there was a sofa to crash on or if we were lucky a student house party to go to.                                      

The purpose of these trips changed in 1989 from daytime shopping to nightime driving around the M25 :smile:     Normal service and style was derailed for a couple of years and then settled on a mix of vintage denim, skate & 80's old skool.

8 hours ago, freshwater said:

Used to visit London regular mid 80's to mid 90's, originally looking for old Levi's and mainly 50's styled attire. Would visit all the markets, vintage shops, walk the length of the Kings Rd up to American Classics, Kensington Market, Camden on a Sunday. Decent inseam length was always hard to get. Back then never had the budget for the really old good stuff so ended up with mainly 70's Levi's. Often stayed the weekend as generally there was someone I knew living there so there was a sofa to crash on or if we were lucky a student house party to go to.                                      

The purpose of these trips changed in 1989 from daytime shopping to nightime driving around the M25 :smile:     Normal service and style was derailed for a couple of years and then settled on a mix of vintage denim, skate & 80's old skool.

I remember going to Knebworth 1979 there was a stall there selling old levis< there were so many pairs with cut of cinch's which id never seen before should have brought a few pairs, but was more interested in bootlegs.

I did the m25 raves too in 89 brilliant never see anything like that again just pleased to have experience it wasn’t the same even the next year in 1990 

Decent inseam length was always hard to get. Back then never had the budget for the really old good stuff so ended up with mainly 70's Levi's.

...plus, it wasn't like today where any old short inseam length would fly, if you were wearing shoes or low cut pumps, any kind of visible ankle and... "Sup! has the cat died or summat" ..and that was just your mates :D so a pair of Chucks, AJ1's or DM's would fill the gap and save your blushes.

When i first started buying vintage Levi's, the older stuff was always on hangers behind the counter with a hefty price ticket (£40 or some crazy shit) but as an uninitiated denim n00b i could never figure out why some pairs were so much more expensive.. :blush: in hindsight

It was the same back in the late 80's/early 90's with cuffed jeans. Walking around the small market town l grew up in, if you had a tiny cuff you survived unscathed, anything over an inch (but without Dr Martens) you would hear cries of "come on Eileen .."

They're the highs but I have a pair of the lows too.

Highs I got online, no bots, no raffle, just went online when they were going on sale. Those were the days...

Got the lows from TK Maxx for £30 though which was even better.

Stash Air Max look fantastic, I had the Stash AF1s possibly my all time favourite shoe but I stored them in an attic and a rat ate the toebox of one of them :(

2 hours ago, generic_guy said:

Bargain. I had a pair of buckle back LVC I got from TK Maxx, due to a mix up my wife sold them at a car boot for £2.50 :o

Ha!  I think I might be the antipodean @generic_guy – in addition to my precious lucky clothing finds getting "rationalised" or disintegrating while awaiting their moment, I had a beaten-up but very playable (and beautiful-sounding!) '60s Maton parlour guitar that I liberated for $20 (so, 10 quid or less)... my wife chose to display it in the lounge room... finally! some recognition for not only my valuable precious things, but my impressive skills as a glaneur!... and then contrived to knock it onto the hard floor while vacuuming the next day, where it broke into several irreparable pieces.

In her favour, she does often suggest that I change into my most faded SC47s rather than the crispy rigid jeans I've selected for whatever occasion I'm feeling the need to wear "good" jeans to (What..? these are edo-ai, I go to so much troub.. oh, all right. Just for you)