WAYWT 2021 [denim edition]

volvo240thebest

Sufu Tuxedo (tm) for my trip to the Windy City to grab a special beer release today. 

Shrunken vintage Levi's trucker

Kate's Pearls 

Vintage SS Sweat

501 STF

r&b Indy clones

Half Acre DDH Double Daisy Cutter  with Riwaka, Galaxy, Rakau, and Enigma hops.  Perfectly juicy and bitter. 

Cheers!

20211119_150936.thumb.jpg.444d87297cfd48317055b60b8bfbfff4.jpg

20211119_150953.thumb.jpg.1bfeee54f802191008d3295ff3793ab4.jpg

20211119_153151.thumb.jpg.665c6d9ec28ca3db3489a0fa7af23b89.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-151833_Gallery.thumb.jpg.203d046d8084cd53ac7ff3c35aaccea3.jpg

Screenshot_20211119-153430_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2706c5e7d37de09168c8f804bf093a3f.jpg

Edited by cultpop 0217
Clarity

54 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

some prep-jock-drag-business

ladies letter[wo]man / varsity [from neuqua valley high class of '01' ...] - tcb - tender - r.mocs

UexO0Gjh.jpg

PTVHwuNh.jpg

grabbed it of a vintage rack not knowing the sailor-collar etiquette due to my status as dumb brit metropolitan elite ... the fact it has 'krystal' sewn on as name may have been a give away...

amazed at how thick the chenille patches are...

Nice fit, but this is too bizarre to me. NV '01 was the second class to graduate in this still pretty new high school. Had I lived 5 miles south of where I grew up that's where I would have gone - and at around that time. Between Warehouse making repro knockoffs of another school in my backyard and seeing stuff like this, I just get a kick out of it all I guess. I probably could find some people who still have this jacket stuck in the back of their closet. 

That’s quite the ensemble there Bartles, a lot going on with that jacket, I like it but think it’ll be a real Marmitesque opinion divider. Just make sure your kids don’t sneakily add a ‘ce’ next to the ‘NoN’ at the back when you’re blissfully unaware! :laugh2:

3 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Nice fit, but this is too bizarre to me. NV '01 was the second class to graduate in this still pretty new high school. Had I lived 5 miles south of where I grew up that's where I would have gone - and at around that time. Between Warehouse making repro knockoffs of another school in my backyard and seeing stuff like this, I just get a kick out of it all I guess. I probably could find some people who still have this jacket stuck in the back of their closet. 

thnx & wow-lol-spooky! the dissonance between living something/-where and folks elsewhere taking an interest in surface signifiers but without any insight into / understanding of context is one of the unspoken engines of fashion, I guess [however heritage sufu approved brands may seem...] I was happy to pick it up as it didn't have such colonial signifiers [such as head-dress] or other symbolic war-machines but didn't expect it actually to be such an ambiguously gendered object... as opposed to the whitesville remakes [which do look fab] I am interested in how this is the material-cultural remains of a particular person, not a simulacral remake...

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

That’s quite the ensemble there Bartles, a lot going on with that jacket, I like it but think it’ll be a real Marmitesque opinion divider. Just make sure your kids don’t sneakily add a ‘ce’ next to the ‘NoN’ at the back when you’re blissfully unaware! :laugh2:

definitely marmite [and definitely very warm...]! Going back to early adult / teen histories / horrors that the jacket evokes for @AlientoyWorkmachine - in some ways wearing this feels like an homage to my youth of the 90s; I saw so many slyvester patched big jeans [yes Joes Bloggs, I'm talking to your ghost] paired with bomber/puffer jackets... this is probably tame in comparison to those bolder times...even I waiver with the collar; it seems to be only for ladies varsity jackets in my searching on varsity/letterman online [since getting the jacket, not before... quite a few have 'cheerleader' written on the back flap section] ... the splayed out material has elements of the split zip hood n-2b parka [a real early '00s staple as I remember in London, iirc another ladies favorite] and even though the sailor's collar has a strong male-clothing history, interesting how it now sits in the child's / adolescent female domain... so I'll be channeling sailor moon [and her sailor guardian posse] and this margiela piece...

as for the NoN - the 'o' is an actual informational patch (unlike all the other letter on arms / chest / pockets) - demonstrating membership[?] of 'United States olympic training centre' - but oh yes do like a 'non' - v&r did some excellent fashion negatives...

image.png.c13188620e2ce9e9e5a35d6c733b51a4.png

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

@bartlebyyphonics your reply makes me think you're the perfect person to have picked up this jacket. I could tell you about the culture of this school, why it was a rival of ours - aside from location, and all that it evokes from me (even down to Friday night American Football gatherings, no joke) - but I think I'll let you indulge in the symbolism it puts forth to make up your own stories! I will say there are no valleys anywhere near the school - it's in terrain about as flat as you can find in the US. There's a part of me that feels like I could probably even track down exactly to whom it originally belonged - not that I will - but probably not too many Krystals at that school with that level of athletic involvement...hell, my guess is there's a good chance I've been in the same vicinity as that jacket numerous times ohh, exactly 21, 22 years ago haha. 

And yes, though my memory is a touch foggy, I had little interest in anything cultural outside of skateboarding and music (and that included fashion unless it was from a skateboarding company) and I myself never got one of these jackets I do seem to recall that those collars were just for the ladies - our school had them as well. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

Cool coincidences and loving the branching out Bartles... 

Now back to Krystal... given that Bartles is a big fella and that fits the big fella very well... I'm guessing finding an ex-quarterbacker called Krystal can't be that hard?!  Or, more sensibly, was the trend to wear them jackets oversized? Surely the latter

4 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

@bartlebyyphonics your reply makes me think you're the perfect person to have picked up this jacket. I could tell you about the culture of this school, why it was a rival of ours - aside from location, and all that it evokes from me (even down to Friday night American Football gatherings, no joke) - but I think I'll let you indulge in the symbolism it puts forth to make up your own stories! I will say there are no valleys anywhere near the school - it's in terrain about as flat as you can find in the US. There's a part of me that feels like I could probably even track down exactly to whom it originally belonged - not that I will - but probably not too many Krystals at that school with that level of athletic involvement...hell, my guess is there's a good chance I've been in the same vicinity as that jacket numerous times ohh, exactly 21, 22 years ago haha. 

And yes, though my memory is a touch foggy, I had little interest in anything cultural outside of skateboarding and music (and that included fashion unless it was from a skateboarding company) and I myself never got one of these jackets I do seem to recall that those collars were just for the ladies - our school had them as well. 

thnx for the reply! I have googled the school, but imagine your stories would have more texture... 

and yes: if someone publicly wore the rugby stripes / cricket whites of my school or its neighbouring institutions I would convulsively retch... you are being most generous in your comments! [the only time I got caught on field with the serious jocks there they tried to break my legs in revenge for the verbal lacerations they had received from my tender nature... ] I was never a jock, always the nerd; found myself skateboarding, however, in mid-late 20s alongside a young daughter who needed to transition from a barbie scooter to something more serious [in her mid 20s now she is now quite a serious quad skater]...

3 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Cool coincidences and loving the branching out Bartles... 

Now back to Krystal... given that Bartles is a big fella and that fits the big fella very well... I'm guessing finding an ex-quarterbacker called Krystal can't be that hard?!  Or, more sensibly, was the trend to wear them jackets oversized? Surely the latter

yes; have been thinking flight jacket profile for a while, but the ma-1 is too club-bouncer for me, this has a camp je-ne-sais-quoi... 

to your comment; quarterbacks are the petit princes of the field; the linebackers on the other hand...

but yes; I believe the high-school girl style is to size up at least 3...

@AlientoyWorkmachine - if krystal was ever found; tell her the jacket patch design is enthusiasm-perfection... I have looked at a lot of the varsity jackets on eBay, etsy and grailed and few have the va-va-voom of her design...

Quick dirty pick of me new Oooeees just picking up a cheeky take away:

9A471078-B60A-40CD-9BFB-FE6AD9725636.thumb.jpeg.3519ab736b429dcbd87abcf38f4fc27a.jpeg

can’t wait for them to soften up as they’re pretty scratchy when they’ve dried out. 
image.thumb.jpg.1122bc8fd5ea0e1cf6a3fbbabc468bcd.jpg

On 11/21/2021 at 12:02 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

Eton or Harrow @bartlebyyphonics:laugh2:

neither! but yes; this would be the better varsity jacket perhaps...

image.thumb.png.9ff4df3c6b1821585d358d5e3e2a8726.png

or this beauty below is better for my 'B' icon (and drag continuations... and pin additions!)

image.thumb.png.35d5acce7ae46cbc9109fe50311c942c.png

On 11/21/2021 at 5:40 AM, heyson said:

@bartlebyyphonics love the hemmed length of your tenders. If I can find a trustworthy seamstress near me I want to get a group of my denims hemmed up

thank u! hemming is my overall def. agenda right now; but for my previous 130 tenders, leaving them super long as they were more tapered and tighter fit felt right [with these sized up baggy / more voluminous 132's, however, it felt right to remove the weight, mostly wearing them uncuffed with pecos...]

21 hours ago, cultpop 0217 said:

@bartlebyyphonicsand @AlientoyWorkmachine

Thank you for that fantastic exchange. What a small world! 

thank you and yes: what a small world! still a little in shock...

It's been a while...

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

FW, FW, Roy, White's

IMG_4614.thumb.jpg.9702bf9d598f674692daebe23efe76ce.jpg

IMG_4630 (1).jpg