WAYWT 2021 [denim edition]

volvo240thebest

On 4/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, Kit Carruthers said:

@bartlebyyphonics high praise indeed from the master! I’m actually closer to your neck of the woods these days, in Camberwell. Was only back on the beach for a brief visit.

master of bad dad jokes only... but welcome back to se5! perhaps see you at the open air drinking stadium of fox on the hill... 

8 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Tell me what you want, these 711 are definitely underrated 

20210406_110606.thumb.jpg.94332a97afd6782c42affe8dade61d47.jpg

H&M - Resolute  - Chuck 70s

really would like a pair, but my gaijin lumbering frame needs more rise than the 711 allows... looks like great construction and fabric... would wear a pair with 33cm front rise very happily - but am I right in remembering these are modelled off a child's pattern for the SE Asian frame?

13 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

really would like a pair, but my gaijin lumbering frame needs more rise than the 711 allows... looks like great construction and fabric... would wear a pair with 33cm front rise very happily - but am I right in remembering these are modelled off a child's pattern for the SE Asian frame?

I understand the need for a higher rise. Sometimes you just gotta try some different jeans in person and see that it will work albeit one of the preferred measurements is off.
I also thought I need at least a 12" rise to wear comfortably but sometimes jeans with less rise work as well, if other parts of the jeans somehow "compensate" the lower rise. I also used to think for a long time I need a 34" inseam :D
But yes, a lower rise can still be worn comfortably but doesn't necessarily match one's style or works with the other items in one's wardrobe.

Also a yes, the 711 is modelled after a '50s Levi's kids jeans (would that be the 503B?) and just scaled from there.

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Taking a stroll through Epping forest, thought I’d take a pic as I wait for the little man to catch up. MF and TCB and Chipps:

9E0A24AC-B7D0-4D42-9967-FDCC02F5C9A3.thumb.jpeg.9a78370e8988640da3fb2090a845b070.jpeg
Hunting for Baba Yaga..49CFFB33-D43B-4D15-8C9A-B657E6CF8C70.thumb.jpeg.c97ce3929906c84061b6c3b2d0953fcf.jpeg

Details:

5ADE9C13-1204-4F0E-9A65-B3BDF0689596.thumb.jpeg.e23f0bc3a0d3849cae635c271c17c4be.jpeg

Edited by Toegun

you are totally right @beautiful_FrEaK sometimes a gentle rise can be a very good thing when matched by the rest of the troozer... ... the rise on my tender 132 is a mere 31cm-ish with a huge thigh in the upper 30s, worn in comparison to my recently acquired nigel cabourn army pants (rise of 34 with equivalent thigh): the tender top block is much more debonair / less bulky [but less able to be stuffed with m65 military liner trousers in the frozen months] ...

interestingly the top block measurements of the 38w 711 here seem to be roughly equivalent to a 36w tcb 50s which I have worn happily ... so ignore me everyone! 

and yes @Kit Carruthers - but if you ever find yourself in the strange hinterlands of ramsgate, the seafront 'spoons there has a pretty top notch roof area...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

1 hour ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

after all the canes talk I went for a toyo enterprise frenzy via hinoya... the 47s have a rise to get lost in... [but a surprisingly smaller waist than expected; the 38w came in at just under 36, but stretched with dampness and wear to an easy 94cm]

Yeah, i remember mr r over on DB complaining about their nipped waist, they look good tho, what's your plans for the hem?

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Yeah, i remember mr r over on DB complaining about their nipped waist, they look good tho, what's your plans for the hem?

already hacked around 3 inches off before the pic: so currently at around 32" ... either hemmed to 31" or 29" seem like the options atm...

really like them: very much like a 30s pair with all the bits (cinch etc.) stripped off and in a darker deeper denim, as I imagine 40s pairs probably were...  I can see the fervour that @Pedro has for them...

given that I've been asked to 'fess up to my hoard; most similar pair to what already have is to my sz5 tender 132 I have: really quite similar continuous wide leg and general  heft, but an inch longer front rise (13" over the tender 12") but an inch smaller thigh (tender around 15" canes around 14") and then same-ish hem / leg opening...

a really stubborn starched and thick feeling denim...

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

@bartlebyyphonics I am just a tiny bit disappointed but you know better what you like and what suits you...and these Canes definitely do ;)

I know very much that the work of hayashi-san must be experienced: will have to find the pairs of 710s and 711s in hand to know which to go for: 711 seems like the more characterful denim from pix...

44 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

already hacked around 3 inches off before the pic: so currently at around 32" ... either hemmed to 31" or 29" seem like the options atm...

really like them: very much like a 30s pair with all the bits (cinch etc.) stripped off and in a darker deeper denim, as I imagine 40s pairs probably were... 

given that I've been asked to 'fess up to my hoard; most similar pair to what already have is to my sz5 tender 132 I have: really quite similar continuous wide leg and general  heft, but an inch longer front rise (13" over the tender 12") but an inch smaller thigh (tender around 15" canes around 14") and then same-ish hem / leg opening...

Great arn't they!

Back in the pre-jp denim days i used to size up LVC-47's in the hope of having a similar fit through the leg, my last pair were a tagged 38" (measuring 34-35" on a 32" waist) the waistband would pop out from under my belt..usually at the button... B)

fullsizeoutput_2ecb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ec9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ec8.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

4 hours ago, Kit Carruthers said:

tough act to follow ^^^

still enjoying these ecru 1101s, plus a fresh n crispy longhorn from wh

so thank you and much of a yes-yes to the longhorn: would love one if they were ever made in a 44! (the 42 as biggest size has too small a collar for me when tried on...) 

@Double 0 Soul - can't imagine you wearing a 38 everar! always happy to wear with the button popping up [and the arse sagging ] ... and as ever, great wear on that pair!

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I used to buy vintage Levi's back when i was a penniless 18-20yr old (through necessity more than fascination) and would often swing a tagged 36" waist on a pre-abused/undernourished 28-30" waist :D

I liked that wider leg, cropped short (again through lack of option) with a stout pair of boots.

Back then i would choose vintage Levi's based on price, if i liked the fading and if i could swing the fit, i didn't even know what a redline was back in the early to mid 90's.