Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

7 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:
7 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

cast iron pans/skillets are a big yes,

Took a picture, for tis thread, of my steel de Buyer pan. When new its all dirty and a bit rusty. Now after it's broken in, it looks like you can see every dish made in it. Than I thought, I'm not posting a picture of a pan, thats stupid.

It keeps changing how it looks. If I didn't became a tattooer i would have been a chef now.

Edited by smoothsailor

6 hours ago, redragon said:

PXL_20210105_034340704.thumb.jpg.f1dd1699ceed5ed55268d859093bc4e2.jpg

Twice my age and still working perfectly...

Don't like the current snobby incarnation of the brand but the grand daddy is definitely a functional design masterpiece.

Beauty!

I used to have a 1940's Zorki, the Russian Leica-rip with the same screw mount with plans towards fitting a Leica lens but it never happened :(

Agreed, it is quite repulsive.

7 hours ago, redragon said:

Twice my age and still working perfectly...

Don't like the current snobby incarnation of the brand but the grand daddy is definitely a functional design masterpiece.

Such a beautiful thing - but also (arguably) one of the best cameras ever made - and possibly so is the lens (a newer 1990s model?)  ... so for me it’s an almost perfect ‘nice thing’.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Such a beautiful thing - but also (arguably) one of the best cameras ever made - and possibly so is the lens (a newer 1990s model?)  ... so for me it’s an almost perfect ‘nice thing’.

90s might be correct, definitely not the current model.

Pretty crazy that the prices skyrocketed these couple of years on the back of the film photography resurgence, wish I bought it ~10 years ago...this one (I hope) will last a lifetime.

@Double 0 SoulSoul

Think I read somewhere that there were lots of copycat around the same time of the release, so much so that they make a book about it.

The Brand's history was quite fascinating up till the red dot happens...

Edited by redragon
Quote more

Some “nice” things from my shop.

elvis light, my wife bought in nyc  in 1998 as our first piece for our household .

the king had to sit on our lap on the flight back home. It didn’t, fit in the overhead.

after being in our houses, as a prominent light, and bed light it got moved to my shop. Some kid peeled out one eye. Damn kids, shouldn’t,t be hanging out in tattoo shops.

60EEF46F-5FF8-47DA-B558-DA9EB762A383.jpeg

1 hour ago, redragon said:

90s might be correct, definitely not the current model.

Pretty crazy that the prices skyrocketed these couple of years on the back of the film photography resurgence, wish I bought it ~10 years ago...this one (I hope) will last a lifetime.

@Double 0 SoulSoul

Think I read somewhere that there were lots of copycat around the same time of the release, so much so that they make a book about it.

The Brand's history was quite fascinating up till the red dot happens...

The font used for the various lens markings all looks like the square font (LG1050) which means AFAIK the lens is early 90s onwards. I’d be amazed if the camera doesn’t last your lifetime - Leica will even still repair it. I’ve got a Lumix G9, there’ll be fat chance Panasonic will look after that in even a decade ...

(and Peak Design anchors too - I like)

Edited by Duke Mantee

6 hours ago, mondo said:

Ha, @youngofthesoonest, might have to steal your Count To Five settings...

Yeah do it! This is my alternative to the “shimmer” effect from the strymon blue sky. Less reverb washiness and more glitchy without being insane. 

On 1/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

Todays..

Back to Sheffield and.. Michael Latimer, watercolour/mixed media on board which i bought nearly 20yrs ago

He's been doodling little monsters as long as ive known him :)

fullsizeoutput_2c1a

These look a bit like the 'Things' from the Viz comic strip. Some may consider these to be ‘nice’.

104.jpg

097.jpg

Edited by Maynard Friedman
Delete space at bottom

So, to add to the guitar strand of this thread—and I must apologise for the awful iPhone pics, but it's all I had to work with—here's my '72 mahogany Thinline. When my mum died, my dad gave me some money aside from the amount that went on bills and family expenses and told me to get something for myself that she would have liked. "She always liked to hear you playing at night" (perhaps my only true fan!—I was deep into flamenco at the time, but that's probably another post or another topic altogether)... so I found this, from the original owner, who had long since put the guitar aside in favour of fishing. This was the only year of production for the combination of wood and pickups. I've not seen another in Australia—he bought it with him new when he came here from the UK. It's as close as I could get to a birth year guitar (I'm a '71 model, myself).

The strap should probably go in the leather goods thread—it was made by a local lady who did leatherwork for Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, who feels that pelham hooks (as used in saddlery) are the best fastening for such things... I have to agree!

thinline.thumb.jpg.abcb719f39abf3b359f9eead51ea72d3.jpg

Next up is a Shin-ei Resly Tone from the same period. This was an early circuit from Fumio Mieda, who is still around and applying his genius to Korg products. He had made the Uni-Vibe a few years prior, which in turn was descended from "The Psychedelic Machine": a fuzz/tremolo/phase device intended to capture Mieda's remembered impressions of Radio Moscow broadcasts, and the way they modulated strangely as they bounced off the ionosphere (I am not making this up; I wish I had the imagination! this is why I love the guy so much). Mieda used a light bulb to modulate the audio circuit, and spent much time searching for globes that had a "decay" time as they switched off that would translate to a useful musical effect. As far as anyone knows, he was the first to use optics to mediate audio effects, which in my opinion puts him up there with whichever mad genius created the optical sound tracks that ran down the side of celluloid film strips.

Anyway, this device is a tremolo, vibrato, and.. erm, "Resly" pedal, because it sounds somewhat like a rotating Leslie speaker. Still sounds great, but I don't use it frequently as much of it is irreplaceable. Actually, Shin-ei has rebooted as a brand and seems to be making reproductions of their Uni-vibe, so maybe they've got access to those old light bulbs... Mieda says he eventually found a medical equipment supplier, but a lot's changed since the 60s.

reslytone.jpg.d07fe957464aa1208e27838f1118874e.jpg

@mondo damn that’s a beautiful guitar. A vintage ‘72 thinline is still on my list of guitars that i want one day. I had a reissue but the reissue picks up were disappointing and fender was very into the high gloss on their reissues that made them look and feel like plastic so i swapped it for something else.....i believe i got an epiphone reviera for it that i still have now. That pedal sounds amazing. I hadn’t heard of it so i looked it up....They go for a lot these days haha i don’t think i will be getting a new one nor a vintage one anytime soon. I just had an opportunity to get a Gibson 59 Nashville custom shop es-335 for a great price so i jumped on it and now i am on a guitar and gear hiatus until my finances recover. 

Filson Mackinaw 100% Virgin Wool Blanket

fullsizeoutput_2c2f

Massive, heavyweight, cozy warm and Made in the good ole US of A

fullsizeoutput_2c36

..and keeping with the spirit of the thread... "it doesn't have to be expensive to be a nice thing"

A little old tobacco tin from our kitchen shelf

fullsizeoutput_2c39

I bought an old metal cabinet at auction many years ago for £14 because i needed something to store flammable liquids..

Inside were some leaky old paint cans and some lovely little tins, i use this one to keep fuses, paperclips, blutack, shit that would be otherwise lost in the kitchen junk drawer.

Only time can make something this charming :)

fullsizeoutput_2c3a

20210109_122618.jpg

I have quite alot of nice things. Mostly old things. These are my walling hammers. The two big ones are 4lb hammers, then a 3lb on the right and a 2&1/2lb on the left. They are all around 15 years old and have had numerous handles. The one's on the right have been recently serviced, the blue one l hardly ever use and the rust coloured one is my go to, basically l'm a lazy waller insomuch as l usually only use that four pounder for everything and a bricking hammer to get nodules off of weak stones.

Edited by Dr_Heech
Because

I can get down with this Chaz..

Pax handsaws by Thomas Flinn & Co Sheffield

fullsizeoutput_2c45

Clifton (Sheffield) rebate plane

fullsizeoutput_2c46

c1912-14 paring gouges with boxwood handles, all Made in Sheff

fullsizeoutput_2c47

Vintage spoke shaves by Record Ridgway (Sheffield)

fullsizeoutput_2c4a

Stanley Tri-Plane, Jack-Plane, Smoothing-Plane and Block-Plane (Made in Sheff)

fullsizeoutput_2c49

Vintage Moore & Wright / Stanley (Sheff/Sheff) squares, bevels, center finders, angle heads ect

IMG_6533

Marking guages, inside/outside calipers and dividers, some Moore & Wright, some Marples and some home made (all in Sheffield)

fullsizeoutput_2c4b

...and some more Moore & Wright goodies (you've guessed it)

fullsizeoutput_2c4c

Edited by Double 0 Soul

6 minutes ago, smoothsailor said:

Beautifull gear Neal. Is that the same record as the vices?

Thanks Paul

Yup, Record Ridgway was just around the corner from my work address

On 4/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Record Ridgeway, a sprawling art deco works, soon to be demolished to make way for yet more flats

IMG_6432

If you can be arsed to dig it up, i did an explore of the derelict factory over on DB