Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

16 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

It’s a photo Neal and the spelling is spot on (mine not yours :laugh2:, pronounced buy-gall, none of this bagel nonsense), in the dark hallway by the stairs so I didn’t get a great picture. I also meant to include this picture from my son’s room - Smoothsailor’s great post reminded me.

E252CC1D-F794-4AF0-AD0E-8ABF4A15780C.jpeg

I know, i was just pulling your leg, the fact that my spelling was off is out of my control, i just copied it from the photo :blush::D

That's nice too^

Edited by Double 0 Soul

...And it’s the other beige shop. The one a couple of doors down has the queue out the door. 

my humble contribution is my one true love (don’t tell the missus I said that):

About a third of my record collection pictured.  About 25 years of collecting and spanning soul, funk, reggae, ska, lots of hip hop and rap, psychedelic rock, jazz etc. 

66B571B6-111A-4A12-9472-E6724E330551.jpeg

I grew up about a mile from the Beigel Bake so we occasionally had beigels, cakes, etc from there as kids but we had numerous other Jewish bakers even closer selling the same things. It wasn’t until I became a teen of drinking age that I started frequenting it regularly in the late hours. Most people tend to go for cream cheese and smoked salmon or hot salt beef but my favourite is chopped herring. I haven’t been in for a few years but definitely worth a try if you’re in the area and don’t go to the other beigel shop a few doors down (if it’s still open), it’s not as good - you’ll know the difference as one usually has queues and one is empty.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I grew up about a mile from the Beigel Bake so we occasionally had beigels, cakes, etc from there as kids but we had numerous other Jewish bakers even closer selling the same things. It wasn’t until I became a teen of drinking age that I started frequenting it regularly in the late hours. Most people tend to go for cream cheese and smoked salmon or hot salt beef but my favourite is chopped herring. I haven’t been in for a few years but definitely worth a try if you’re in the area and don’t go to the other beigel shop a few doors down (if it’s still open), it’s not as good - you’ll know the difference as one usually has queues and one is empty.

You’re right. This is the good one! I needed to look closer after reading this. It’s been years since I went. 
my family is all over Bethnal Green, mile end and Victoria park. I left London for country life 10 years ago. 

A few from my Mrs.. she's not such a stickler for Sheffield artists

Anita Klein's 2005 'Bathroom Mirror'

fullsizeoutput_2c16

She bought this^ to celebrate me finishing the bathroom in the old house, it took me flipping ages trying to fit it in between work,  i made the frame out of the maple which was left over from the bathroom woodwork and mounted the print inside a double glazed unit to protect it from the moisture. It now sits on our landing next to the pulley airer.

Scott Campbell's Purple Rain

fullsizeoutput_2b1c

...and The Life Aquatic

fullsizeoutput_2af9

17 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I was there Christmas Day nice and quiet 

D9DB2F23-167B-413E-887C-41D062A8F899.jpeg

Few from me, all difficult to capture due to placement and me being crap at taking photos 

First homage to the UKs premier city 

20210101_145708.thumb.jpg.935c1771aa43290a05dcc467ebfbd041.jpg

Next a Tokyo subway map. We have a well worn one in our travel box we use so last time we went we picked up a (free) new one and framed it

20210101_145633.thumb.jpg.526c0c16fa110cdb8f5978fca455622c.jpg

A few masks collected on our travels adorn the hallway. Cuba, Thailand and Japan.

20210101_145522_resized.thumb.jpg.7982842be1ae65b439dda58971693f47.jpg

Last is framed drawings of 90s hip hop stars listed by the real names. Visitors have to prove their pedigree by naming as many as possible....

Couldn't capture detail well so images borrowed from the artists site also included

20201231_185744.thumb.jpg.43ad12cd42b7140262cf507af786f79f.jpg

Bonus point for naming these guys 

20201231_185944.thumb.jpg.6542ad544c40a58a804d37d9a68efec8.jpg

IMG_0136_Grade.thumb.jpg.2c47c5c933c2908844fd767a9aa8e1a0.jpg

Print.thumb.jpg.0f9440895f8856ae226d2e1b0b61f1e4.jpg

28 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Bonus point for naming these guys 

20201231_185944.thumb.jpg.6542ad544c40a58a804d37d9a68efec8.jpg

IMG_0136_Grade.thumb.jpg.2c47c5c933c2908844fd767a9aa8e1a0.jpg

Top image looks like Rick Rubin and Ice-T

Bottom image i can spot LL, is that Africa Bambataa tucked way in the corner? the dude from Digital Underground, Dilla, Will Smith, & Tyler...

Do i win a prize?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

@Double 0 Soul only person other than myself to get Ice T!  Must be our age..

@smoothsailor yes mate I was there then. Small world.  Should have said Hi, would have made my day. 

My wife wasn't to keen on Ueno but I liked it. Saying that she did put away a far amount of sake in the one place we ate/drank in so couldn't be that bad!

Edited by Geeman

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

@Double 0 Soul only person other than myself to get Ice T!  Must be our age..

@smoothsailor yes mate I was there then. Small world.  Should have said Hi, would have made my day. 

My wife wasn't to keen on Ueno but I liked it. Saying that she did put away a far amount of sake in the one place we ate/drank in so couldn't be that bad!

ice t was easy! but then yeah, I'm old too.

Edited by fre-co

8 minutes ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Haha. Yeah I thought someone will probably mention it sooner or later. It’s a preying mantis molted cuticle(shed skin). So not dead. Just two biology students living together and liking weird things. 

My kid found a shed skin from a dragon fly a few years ago

fullsizeoutput_2c18

..and here's one that he caught mid-flight, they're supposedly fast but not when you compare them to the reflexes of a 5yr old

IMG_2300

..then it bit his finger :D

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I used to be a massive fan back in the late 80's.. i bet i could still recite every track from Power, it was rarey off the Walkman.. I even used to stretch to the rest of the Syndicate..Donald D and such.

Massive fan myself back in the day.  

Darlene recently posted a pic of herself reliving the power cover..... she's still got it 

10 hours ago, Geeman said:

Massive fan myself back in the day.  

Darlene recently posted a pic of herself reliving the power cover..... she's still got it 

Yup, she's still a fine woman, i watched a (filmed) radio show or podcast with Darlene as a guest a few years ago, she's pretty witty and intelegent her recolections of the early days hustling with IceT are just golden and even though he ditched her for some bimbo she's not at all bitter, I think the interview coincided with the release of her book.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

1940's enamel bread bin, i use it to store kindling for the fire

fullsizeoutput_2c1e

...Cat dish by Alessi

fullsizeoutput_2c1d

I bought this^ back in the late 90's as a birthday prez for our old cat Gillespie, i'm embarrassed to say it was around £60 but our cat still loves it or maybe that's just the food contained within... "You've got more money than sense" is what my old man would have said...

My constant companion for 35 years - there isn’t a bottle we couldn’t conquer. I think the Laguiole wine key is just beautiful, mine is pear wood and has darkened a lot over the years with the oil from my hands. Needs a bit of a clean, but in terms of functionality it’s like new.

5FE02306-5249-407F-8982-CE0AD7D355F0.jpeg

1. Ornithoptera Goliath - bought for my son (for his day of birth by a famous French actress!). The span is about 6”

2. Inspired by OO and Duke, my ‘Alessi-man’ corkscrew 

3. Italia ‘90 commemorative bottle of Barbera d’Asti. I bought and consumed it during the tournament. Wished I’d bought a second and kept it unopened

4. Seletti magnetic world map. It’s in a darkish spot and difficult to photograph without reflections but is over a metre wide

5. Aluminium globe on Mrs F’s power shell table from New Zealand 

6. My bedside table made from recycled aluminium cans

E8C3D9B2-9363-4FA5-BE15-083AE83A82A6.jpeg

7820D9A3-2110-438D-A880-4CD31BA51C25.jpeg

C19CE127-F871-48D8-BCDB-06911F2A9454.jpeg

C8E4282E-B23D-4D44-93BB-D31F895F30B5.jpeg

58FF1FFE-8274-4D8C-95F2-6254863C7DD4.jpeg

A51C17F1-F024-4077-930B-F71F5A4580D4.jpeg