Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

• 2 weeks later...

That's^ a beauty..

My daily rider.. this Condor 26er with Simworks bits....has been driving me fk'in nuts these last few weeks.

P1030672.thumb.JPG.de285b1f147e7e4c85d342432f344590.JPG

Around a month ago, i pulled up at some traffic lights in top gear.. powered away and the crank/small sprocket spun, i got to work, stripped it down and degreased the drivetrain, cassette, freehub, chain.. ect but building it back up, the cassette lockring was just turning rather than locking up tight.. i could get 20Nm of torque but it would spin at 25 and not tighten up to 40Nm..  i couldn't figure out what was wrong so i ended up machining half a mm off the spacer at the back of the freehub body (giving me 0.5mm more lockring depth) put it back together and adjusted the rear mech accordingly.. then the damn chain started falling off the narrow wide chainring when changing down the low gears.. the chain was stretched/worn so i replaced it..  i did the old chain length equation and calculated the new chain length to 54" ..3" shorter than the old chain?.. that didn't work.. wtf!.. i made the chain length the same length as before, i could reach all 10 gears but it was bouncing around the sprockets so i stripped the cassette again and carefully filed down the burrs on each tooth but still no joy so i had to buy a new cassette, Hff! but now everything works a charm.. i still get a sense of childlike wonder when all of your gears are just working perfectly.. it's amazing what a simple pull of a cable can acheive.

..then riding home last night i got a fkin puncture and had to carry my bike 2miles home on my shoulder.. on the up.. out of the 5 cyclists who passed me, 3 of them asked if i was ok or needed any help/tools.. their kindness is in such contrast to the average car driver who just sits in their car and beeps their horn in fustration if someone breakes down in front of them.

I watched this recently https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/amsterdam-children-fighting-cars-in-1972/

The story of a working class neighbourhood in Amstardam back in the days when the car was still king before their cycling revolution.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I bought a Muddy Fox Courier (with Suntour thumbshifters, no click-shift and a heavy frame) in about 1987. A few years later I was living on the 24th floor of a council block with unreliable lifts on the Isle of Dogs. The number of times I had to carry it up the stairs (you can imagine how bad the stairwells were too), cursing under my breath with a sore shoulder…

• 1 month later...

I found this lovely old Stussy ring recently.. i bought it from Sumo back in 1994

Sorry the photos are a bit dark.. it's getting late

fullsizeoutput_3978.thumb.jpeg.4c74fcfd67236ecb700807742c87908b.jpeg

Working with cranky old woodworking machinery, i've never really worn it, it's been in a shoe box for years so it's still in mint condition

IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.8ed94aed28bc83a29b20aefd6758b0a5.JPG

fullsizeoutput_397c.thumb.jpeg.fc9795fbb5037a63097bffd1ec0e7d24.jpeg

They're solid silver (925)

fullsizeoutput_397b.thumb.jpeg.70e2f214ce95b38ed8d733581d8909e9.jpeg

..If i remember rightly they were made by a London jeweler but my memory is pretty hazy and i know nothing about hallmarks, can anyone confirm?

fullsizeoutput_397d.thumb.jpeg.815f23f10a830b64777c37e2e9fbd5d4.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Lovely condition @Double 0 Soul

I have the same ring plus another one with 'Stussy Old Skool' on it and the pictured pendant/keyring.

All bought back around 1993ish.    And all seem to have the same Hallmark as yours. Also heard they came out of London.

Also have a set of Stussy beads which I'll dig out later.

IMG_9862.jpg

Edited by freshwater

Retirement fund!  The prices vary wildly but...wtf!

https://www.vestiairecollective.com/women-jewellery/rings/stussy/silver-silver-stussy-ring-29082339.shtml

i reckon if you took yours to a silversmith or working jeweler, it'd polish up exactly the same as mine

I remember those beads, haven't seen those for years.. i bet most ended up getting lost

Great collection you have!

Are yours little finger sized?

fullsizeoutput_3980.thumb.jpeg.77b6af098d8ced0c064dac5d11b5daa8.jpeg

Yep both mine are little finger size.

Here's that linked ring also on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285063352070?hash=item425f198f06:g:W24AAOSwBApjjNxx

15 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I remember those beads, haven't seen those for years.. i bet most ended up getting lost

I did had 2 sets of beads but lost one set some 10 years ago on a very good night out :-(   

Looks like you’re right with the date 1993.. I don’t tend to remember dates but I remember how old I was when I bought something.. alas it’s my birthday in Jan so a few weeks either way can throw me off.

There was a silver ‘stussy’ key on a chain too, remember that? .. I had a tee with the same key on the chest and a massive back print saying “Knowledge is... (with a picture of a) Key” B)

Edited by Double 0 Soul