Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

• 4 weeks later...

Grado GS1000

fullsizeoutput_382d.thumb.jpeg.3e7691112efa563e2f9a23ac41582969.jpeg

The soundstage on these in incredible and the seperation is equivalent to running a £1000 DAC

I really like to bang out music but we only live in a small house so when it's late i use these lovely cans so i'm not being anti-social or as anti-social as one can be with headphones on.. :) i would have liked to Pepsi chalenge these^ and the RS1.. i think the RS1 are meant to sound warmer but the GS have more seperation and bass .. i might even buy a pair of RS1s in the future...

One of my old bikes had a lot of xlite parts , including stem, bars and bar plugs. 

I changed to a cannondale lefty (with the single fork arm) and the headset - stem set up meant you were limited to cannondale OE parts.  

1 minute ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I love a Cannondale with a lefty fork but it would drive my OCD wild!

It did take some getting used to! Magura disk brakes, full XT kit if I recall 

Just did a quick Google,  didn't realise they were still a thing!  

8 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

There is a frame builder, English cycles. Who makes “righty’s. Pretty wild

Must be more than just a frame builder, no? Seems like that setup would need everything in the hubs done custom

What’s the advantage of having a single fork and rear stays? Is it weight? Ease of maintenance? Quicker release wheels? Something else? Or there are none really, it’s simply something that’s a bit different aesthetically and can be done so why not?

I know.. it's a shame isn't it Stu..

I've been on the hunt for a 115mm since the first lockdown, it doesn't have to be mint condition (as long as the threads are good) but even in tatty condition they're insanely difficult to get hold of.. i managed to pick up a 135mm which you can see mounted on the previous page and stripped below but it's a bit of a stretch.. the 115mm was offered to me.. i passed it up at first because i just don't need NOS but it could be another 2 years of hunting before i find another one.

135mm is both well Pro, and also likely to make the steering like the tiller on a boat. Its amazing how the fashion has gone from twitchy angles with long stems, to super slack geometry with tiny almost BMX like stems. 

Here's a new-to-me frame. Built by London-based Matt Talbot. Repaint by his framebuilding partner, Caryn Hartley. Actually rides wonderfully, and I've had a LOT of winter bikes. It might be a bit contemporary for some tastes on here. 

IMG_2935.jpg

On 1/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, Duke Mantee said:

My pattern knife - It’s not very old - I’ve only had this for about a year - but the design has been unchanged for decades … single piece of solid brass, 2 set screws and a steel blade

BA58A22A-0335-45A6-AE94-04C0FE5D41F2.jpeg

These are my main leather knives. I have horribly brass reactive body oil so while my knife isn't much older than yours, it sure looks like it is. 

7468B447-6DB3-431A-AE02-FA31284077B9.thumb.jpeg.faaa91e63c88ba87db0c6c3789adc6be.jpeg

A guy who i used to work with when i was an apprentice had horribly corrosive sweat.. the metal of his carving tools was completely black.. i used to think they were made that way, then one day i was struggling to figure out the developnment of something i was carving.. he was trying to explain and said "here pass me your gouge" he took it by the blade and carved out what he was trying to explain, then handed it back.. the next morning i came into work and his hand print including finger prints was rusted into the blade.. they're still there to this day.. he's dead now but it still reminds me of him...