Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

..turns out it's primitive and somewhat inbuilt which makes me feel better about constantly wanting things.  :D

It's part of the downfall of the human condition 

22 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

yes thought about it, but i keep hearing that it won.t hold up.

I like blueing too, i <m going to do that with the rack and possibly the stem.

And i,d like to make a bit of a show piece, tu lure people in to buy a frame

A clear powder coat layer would do if you're worried about durability? Needs a good painter though, otherwise you can get the dreaded orange peel effect. 

Not a great fan of the hype that surrounds Jono Smart as a potter. There are plenty of other artisans doing wonderful work without the artificiality of the Instagram waiting list and drops. Leach Pottery offers lots of temptation. https://www.leachpottery.com/individual-makers-1. That being said, Jono Smart's work is very accessible price wise, when compared to Steve Harrison

Edited by StuartM

I'd have that penguin on my bookcase!  Nice job there mini Soul... new business line for the Soul family perchance?!

^^ gotta say that Jono bloke makes pretty slick cups though imo... I'd buy again if an email comes and I manage to see it just as it lands and I'm first in the queue and... and they haven't cracked like the other cheaper ones I bought.  It's all personal taste, of course, but that Leach stuff looks clunky and I wouldn't have Steve Harrison's stuff if he gave it away... actually, I would, but only for resale value

A friend of ours moved down to Hastings with her family about 6 years ago. She was a graphic designer, primarily for children’s magazines but her work dried up considerably just before, but especially during, Covid (dwindling circulation rates leading to magazine closures). Anyway, she learned pottery (something she’d wanted to do for years) and now teaches it from a studio in St Leonard’s. We now get her handmade mugs, side plates, etc as presents!

One of the school mum's from my kids infant school is a potter, she was a consultant on the first episode of this TV program called The Pottery Throwdown but i don't think they asked her back..

38 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

I'd have that penguin on my bookcase!  Nice job there mini Soul... new business line for the Soul family perchance?!

There was a polar bear too but one of it's legs fell off..

Maybe MJ, these are the pots he made for his marbles, by hand on the left and thrown on the right :D

fullsizeoutput_336f.thumb.jpeg.033f485bca886a2fab71aa4f0a847b58.jpeg

There's a place just around the corner from our house called Planet Pot.. it's a ceramic cafe (ikr?)  you get a coffee while you choose from the pots.. decorate them yourself while you're drinking your coffee, they fire them overnight and you can collect the next day.. it's always busy.

Mini Soul threw them well I see... he got all the marbles in the pots!  Planet Pot would have sold something different in the old days :wink:.  There's a similar shop nearby ours too.  I know the bloke who took over the shop, quit his 9 to 5 and now looks 10 years younger.  Similar story... it's always chocka, full of happy people

• 2 weeks later...
Pfft! I wish! I don't get such extravagant birthday gifts, usually just chocolate and a few cards, even the meal last night, my kid picked the restaurant and i paid the bill.. welcome to parenthood...:rolleyes:
Our old sofa and armchair were given to us 15yrs ago and they were already vintage, we moved the (massive) armchair away from the bay window and put the Christmas tree in it's place, the chair was in our way and always too big for the bay so i gave it away before Christams, the sofa is battered cos my kid used it as a trampoline so now he's outgrown jumping on the furniture we ordered a new sofa and bought that (previously mentioned) Edmund Homa lounge chair for the bay and the Jørgen Bækmarkchair for an occasional.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:21 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Quite! They advertise 'Book Your Evening Pot Party' in the window .. :D

I wish they were more creative around where I'm at. We probably have just about more dispensaries than we've got liquor stores, and they all are trying to brand themselves like yoga studios or health food stores. It's funny, really. But like, it's not supposed to be. I'd go throw a pot at a pot dispensary. 

• 2 weeks later...

this thing is a beauty for the kitchen.

Beeketal BPO35-1 pizza oven. the version with a higher roof so breads fit in.

goes up to 350 °C, which is mighty fine for my favorite pizza styles.

got it 2017/2018 as a gift to myself for finishing my bachelor thesis. sat around at my parents' place until I finally got it to our place last weekend. Got sporadical use for making pizza and bread when I visited or my dad was in the mood to bake.

didn't have the room for it the last few years, sadly. 

IMG-20220208-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20220208-WA0008.jpeg

Edited by Thanks_M8

@MJF9 no way of knowing with the ROK - there’s no pressure gauge (or electric heating like at the Flair Pro or Flair 58, but these are at an entirely different price level).

Allegedly, reaching the pressure or at least getting very close to it is not an issue. If James Hoffmann’s tests and reviews are to trusted this technology is more than capable of producing some nice shots.

I only had had mine since Xmas, but for about £150 (for a new one) I got a big improvement over my Mokka Express - haven’t done AeroPress - and I’m happy. Though it’s easy to under or over-extract…

We have our own electric micro-grid on the island which made me shy away from getting a proper machine, so far.

23 hours ago, MJF9 said:

@Foxy2 that's cool and looks like good fun...

How close is it to a coffee shop electric machine espresso?  I'd guess the pressure won't reach 9 bar given it's human powered.  Looks like a good crema regardless.

It’s actually not a big problem to get to 9 bar from a ‘human powered’ press

^ you must be a good aim when tossing the caber onto it Duke :laugh2:

^^ I watched a few clips of the Rok in action and it looks great, especially, as you say, at that price point. Cool piece of kit.

To make an 'espresso' at home, I use a Fellow Prismo metal filter on my Aeropress... following the guide, it works pretty well.  More often, though, I use the Aeropress as a change from filter (V60, Chemex or Khalita Wave)