Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

• 3 weeks later...

Sketch of Clapton, sorry for the reflection. I'm sure there is a trick to photographing glass framed items, I just don't know it.

clapton_sketch.JPG.29ba1937021c1bc19da3bf373e615f8c.JPG

I'd forgotten all about those animals^ I remember when McCoys released them and thinking who the heck's gunna buy those...? they wasn't cheap if i remember

I don't mean that to come across as disparaging, i like their pointlessness..

Similar over-engineering, here's my 25yr old fly-swat with some dudes face in the swatty bit...

Ive no idea!?

:rolleyes:

fullsizeoutput_2dd2.jpeg

Just a beautiful little treat, my first shinki leather/toys mccoy piece.

They are sort of pointless, in the way stuffed animals usually are; sort of just guards my dresser.

Originally planned to be a toy for my dog, Ivy, but she didn't take to it the way she did the carhartt bed i got her.

I figured it would fit the theme of the thread as it is a "nice thing."

Navy chair. I think they are remakes .

I see them all the time on television shows in interagation rooms.

just looked into them, to find some history.

they were originally made in 1944 for submarines. They,re still made the same way.

also saw the price sky rocketed since I bought mine 11 yrs ago

8D9F1786-2541-4C99-B61F-762533E846FA.jpeg

FE721B97-808A-4FDD-B7B5-964B2CC38A55.jpeg

52A7CAFB-0472-4EF1-9D7F-AC6DA95DAEDA.jpeg

E9FA6C9B-A47D-4B76-AD25-83D951A9AECC.jpeg

Edited by smoothsailor

• 2 weeks later...

Ercol 1950s-60s compact desk which I bought for my wife a few years back

Always good to buy a loved one a present that you really want yourself anyway – winner winner :D

Only 69cm wide so fits an alcove nicely

Made of beech and elm – lovely grained wood

Comprises

• Base unit with single drawer (Model 437)
  • Top section with two small drawers (Model 439)
  • Low back chair (Model 414)

The desk could do with a gentle refurb as it looks like the previous owner might have been playing with wood stain and the handle needs repairing - otherwise solid condition

It was largely ornamental before the pandemic – home schooling meant my little lad has been using it

And top marks to the little fella - no chewing gum under the seat or initials carved and filled with ink!!!  Thereby avoiding 1,000 lines and detention

20210327 Ercol 1.JPG

20210327 Ercol 2.JPG

Thanks gents

@Double 0 Soul love them old school desks... similarly I had my eye on a 2m ish bench where the back can be flipped to form the desk top... presumably old church school use.  Was thinking of having this as a garden bench but the price felt a bit OTT so I paused on that

@smoothsailor excellent find there - looks great - the style is really nice. I like the little storage drawers and the fact that you can pull down the shutter and leave it looking tidy when finished using it.  Before I found the Ercol desk, I'd been looking for a bureau / secretary style desk but couldn't find in the small width we needed

31 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Thanks gents

@Double 0 Soul love them old school desks... similarly I had my eye on a 2m ish bench where the back can be flipped to form the desk top... presumably old church school use.  Was thinking of having this as a garden bench but the price felt a bit OTT so I paused on that

A lot of timbers don't fair very well outdoors, especially in the UK so you might have only got a year or two out of it.. old flip tram seats are worth looking at for garden furniture, you can buy a battered one for peanuts and replace the seat and back rest with cedar, teak or something you can leave outside then you can have it any length you like.

One of my friends was teaching art at Harrow a few years ago (on a stand in basis) he said there's a room, maybe a cloakroom i can't quite remember where the kids have been carving their names into the benches/desks for generations, being Harrow, a lot of these became tory scum of the future.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

That's a beauty @MJF9 the boy should be encouraged to carve his initials, if you check the prices of the old flip up school desks, with the ink well at the back, the ones with 'old graffiti' command a much higher price than pristine versions..

.. and even higher for the ones with their lids permanently stuck down with chewing gum

I cook a lot, mostly in three or four pots & pans (and mostly with just the one 6" knife, not pictured)

10" cast iron, no markings, not sure where I got it (Maybe inherited from a previous partner's mom? Maybe found at a thrift store…), re-seasoned every few years but mostly just washed with soap & water then dried and wiped down with light oil after use

Ob07QYI.jpg

13" rough-coated cast iron, Staub, go-to for roasting just about anything

NNoK482.jpg

3HyjEGp.jpg

18 cm copper saucier, Falk, great for any cream sauces, or just for simple things like scalding milk

a3uHjcr.jpg

birzFGI.jpg

5 qt. rough-coated cast iron cocotte, Staub, great for soups or as a Dutch oven, and the lid has a grille on it that's good for steaming (see gefilte fish)

xpwHbhT.jpg

ZxWKLMG.jpg

10" carbon steel crepe pan, unknown make, also great for omelettes, and for pressing tortillas

GeNh6I0.jpg

eaBR05Y.jpg

Bonus!

Cast iron meat grinder, Simmons Keen Cutter, well-used & well-loved (actually my parents', currently on loan)

pVE8qV1.jpg

Z5hGh7H.jpg

oes8Hkx.jpg