julian-wolf

Pandemic Masks

Posted (edited)

It’s a real shame when a new thread is systematically (and in a particular case, spitefully) derailed.

Regardless of whether you dispute the efficacy of masks, or even whether the pandemic is a grand illusion, this was never the forum.

So how about exercising some social distancing in the method prescribed by my pal Billy ...

https://youtu.be/qJMqdTr7IQM

Edited by Duke Mantee

Posted (edited)

As I never posted my masks, here I go: 

Top mask is from General Quarters and the bottom is from Runabout goods

1CCF0843-81FD-497D-9BD7-7994AC93C324.jpeg

32F8898B-C1B5-4BE9-AD60-756D16FADF64.jpeg

Edited by Lazerr

I got my masks from thetiebar.com yesterday and like them a lot. I bought the men’s xl 5 pack for $30 and they fit my face perfectly. They’re 2 ply with a filter pocket and thin enough where I feel like I can breathe. They also have adjusters on the elastic which is a must have feature since elastic stretches out over time.  

@MileHighEvertonian I finally got my wabash mask (free shipping, can’t complain), and I like it, it adds some fun and variety. As for fit, 1st pattern is much better. It definitely contours to your face and is more comfortable overall. It’s my favorite mask for sure, I’ll likely order one or two more. 

I'd been going back and forth for a while on what to use for the ear straps / neck straps of the masks I've been making—hollow cotton shoe laces work well, but they don't have much stretch to them, which makes non-bespoke sizing tough; elastic bands, meanwhile, give out over time (as already discussed in the last couple of pages) and often irritate the backs of my ears.

Ordinarily, I really don't like working with jersey—largely because of how much it pulls / stretches without the aid of interfacing, but also because of how readily the edges curl due to the tensioning of the knit. Here, though, the curling would mean that strips could be cut and left unfinished without too much worry of the raw edges fraying away, and the stretchiness would make fitting easy. I had some scraps of 100% merino jersey laying around and gave it a go, and I've been really pleased with the results.

The merino is comfortable behind my ears, and this particular knit stretches to around 170% against the grain, which is really great here. At around $40 / yard, it's also much cheaper than either shoelaces or elastic bands (especially in this case, since I already have enough scrap around for at least a couple dozen masks…). Would definitely recommend for anyone who's been making their own masks.

Pictured: brazilwood-dyed raw silk herringbone x basketweave with merino jersey ear straps & a makeshift nose wire fashioned from an old keyring

hAWIlxI.jpg

I print these on my 3d printer. There are many variations available on thingiverse and other sites. If you have have a 3d printer or access to one, they are very nice.

image.png.91ab4129fab8b2d4863b07b83cd85e48.png

After our lockdown we figured it was only a matter of time that we would get fresh cases and need masks. Being mindful of single use Waste and also living and working with a lot of people that live in poverty I mobilised my student workers and we made about 800 masks to distribute across the school and community. I also made some others cause if I’m going to make something and wear it, it should be good quality and go with my clothes... here’s some of them. Adapted the free Burda pattern. Most of them haven’t been used, but we are prepared, like all them trolls that carry condoms just in case someday, somewhere...

C2A498F7-3D04-48B6-9560-C6AD97779631.jpeg

stacks of half made student ones, mostly cut from random fabrics that were donated

7758F122-A4B4-4750-9A4F-57C56FE11E53.jpeg

stack of student made ones I finished off and tidied up, some made from some vintage Japanese cotton, with ties cause I hate the ear things, spacies for my nephew

0205BB29-42E8-44E2-AEE0-18D2EB012DFF.jpeg

custom one for the finance officer at work

E269E735-84C8-4981-8713-28109A64E0C8.jpeg

one by my student teacher (its dr Ashley Bloomfield that lead NZ through our response, alongside JA)

7EBAA599-3D3D-4F97-889C-BCE3E4FD1298.jpeg

more spacies

9EE7D107-F92A-409C-84B2-C4359102A28A.jpeg

Cause someone said

80209C79-35ED-4861-AF9F-B10BF93D67EE.jpeg

made a matchy matchy scrunchy for a friend

Edited by tg76

I picked up two of Patagonia’s nano-air face masks and they are excellent.  The fabric stretches so it  creates a nice seal around the face while still being roomy enough to talk without the mask shifting around. I also like a mask the wraps around the head so I can just let it hang when I’m not around other people. So far it’s best intersection of effectiveness and comfort that I’ve found in a face mask.