Pandemic Masks

julian-wolf

It’s a real shame when a new thread is systematically (and in a particular case, spitefully) derailed.

Regardless of whether you dispute the efficacy of masks, or even whether the pandemic is a grand illusion, this was never the forum.

So how about exercising some social distancing in the method prescribed by my pal Billy ...

https://youtu.be/qJMqdTr7IQM

Edited by Duke Mantee

I got my masks from thetiebar.com yesterday and like them a lot. I bought the men’s xl 5 pack for $30 and they fit my face perfectly. They’re 2 ply with a filter pocket and thin enough where I feel like I can breathe. They also have adjusters on the elastic which is a must have feature since elastic stretches out over time.  

I'd been going back and forth for a while on what to use for the ear straps / neck straps of the masks I've been making—hollow cotton shoe laces work well, but they don't have much stretch to them, which makes non-bespoke sizing tough; elastic bands, meanwhile, give out over time (as already discussed in the last couple of pages) and often irritate the backs of my ears.

Ordinarily, I really don't like working with jersey—largely because of how much it pulls / stretches without the aid of interfacing, but also because of how readily the edges curl due to the tensioning of the knit. Here, though, the curling would mean that strips could be cut and left unfinished without too much worry of the raw edges fraying away, and the stretchiness would make fitting easy. I had some scraps of 100% merino jersey laying around and gave it a go, and I've been really pleased with the results.

The merino is comfortable behind my ears, and this particular knit stretches to around 170% against the grain, which is really great here. At around $40 / yard, it's also much cheaper than either shoelaces or elastic bands (especially in this case, since I already have enough scrap around for at least a couple dozen masks…). Would definitely recommend for anyone who's been making their own masks.

Pictured: brazilwood-dyed raw silk herringbone x basketweave with merino jersey ear straps & a makeshift nose wire fashioned from an old keyring

hAWIlxI.jpg

I print these on my 3d printer. There are many variations available on thingiverse and other sites. If you have have a 3d printer or access to one, they are very nice.

image.png.91ab4129fab8b2d4863b07b83cd85e48.png

After our lockdown we figured it was only a matter of time that we would get fresh cases and need masks. Being mindful of single use Waste and also living and working with a lot of people that live in poverty I mobilised my student workers and we made about 800 masks to distribute across the school and community. I also made some others cause if I’m going to make something and wear it, it should be good quality and go with my clothes... here’s some of them. Adapted the free Burda pattern. Most of them haven’t been used, but we are prepared, like all them trolls that carry condoms just in case someday, somewhere...

C2A498F7-3D04-48B6-9560-C6AD97779631.jpeg

stacks of half made student ones, mostly cut from random fabrics that were donated

7758F122-A4B4-4750-9A4F-57C56FE11E53.jpeg

stack of student made ones I finished off and tidied up, some made from some vintage Japanese cotton, with ties cause I hate the ear things, spacies for my nephew

0205BB29-42E8-44E2-AEE0-18D2EB012DFF.jpeg

custom one for the finance officer at work

E269E735-84C8-4981-8713-28109A64E0C8.jpeg

one by my student teacher (its dr Ashley Bloomfield that lead NZ through our response, alongside JA)

7EBAA599-3D3D-4F97-889C-BCE3E4FD1298.jpeg

more spacies

9EE7D107-F92A-409C-84B2-C4359102A28A.jpeg

Cause someone said

80209C79-35ED-4861-AF9F-B10BF93D67EE.jpeg

made a matchy matchy scrunchy for a friend

Edited by tg76

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up two of Patagonia’s nano-air face masks and they are excellent.  The fabric stretches so it  creates a nice seal around the face while still being roomy enough to talk without the mask shifting around. I also like a mask the wraps around the head so I can just let it hang when I’m not around other people. So far it’s best intersection of effectiveness and comfort that I’ve found in a face mask. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up a new mask this week from Sally Fox that seems really nice

Sally's whole operation is located in the same valley as the farm that I work for, and she develops and produces seed for cotton (Fox Fibre) that can be grown sustainably and that takes on interesting (non-white) colors, many of which increase in intensity with age. Many of you may be familiar with Studio d'Artisan's use of Fox Fibre in the last few years—those collaborations feature cotton grown in Arizona using these seeds, then milled & finished in Japan

This mask, likewise, is made from US-grown organic Fob Fibre cotton that's milled & knit in Japan. The cotton is super soft and comfortable, and the knit, despite being fairly thick, has a good amount of give to it. What I really like is that there are no seams, nor any constructional stitching: the mask is knit to spec on one of those fancy modern knitting machines that can do everything in one go, including ear straps, stretch-points, and even a double-layered section that serves as a pocket for a paper filter

Looking forward to seeing how it wears

wt1dha9.jpg

C0dp9lJ.jpg

vh0T4VK.jpg

qdngscV.jpg

DMUfbcs.jpg

o730CGY.jpg

4MlFXEG.jpg

Edited by julian-wolf

I got tired of regular sized masks not working with my beard. This one has been working nicely and I have to wear it 8 hours a day at work. Only thing it doesn't have is a nose wire, but luckily I don't wear glasses.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/838469540/black-beard-longline-face-mask-with?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=beard+mask&ref=sc_gallery-1-6&plkey=5d8899929ea6e7c08c143a4b8800213f6e961d57%3A838469540&bes=1
il_794xN.2507335061_ltv5.jpg

Ive been wearing masks for certain jobs at work for most of my working life, mainly FFP3 with a valve for when i'm mixing chemicals or the cheaper FFP2 for when i'm creating dust, regarding the 'valved' they tend to form condensation from your warm breath on the inside of the rubber valve surface which can build where it isn't absorbed by the material and can be expelled through the valve along with your breath therefore not great for potential virus spread, i have to be mindful of this when working with chemicals which can react to moisture... anyhow my point is... Every mask i have ever used is secured to the face using elasticated straps which fit behind the head pulling the mask firmly to the face, with a wired bridge to seal off air around the the nose, it's a very secure method and supremely comfortable yet the vast majority of 'covid' masks seem to be based on a 'medical' mask model which fits over the ears, which imo isn't very comfortable/secure when compared to the 'industrial' mask model. You don't notice a slight pressure on the back of the head but you certainly notice the same amount of pressure pulling on the ears... i can understand it from a cost cutting/mass production pov, but re- fashion masks.. a couple of extra pence for a couple of extra inches of elastic seems like a no brainer when you get a better fitting mask for the money.
Just my $0.02

• 1 month later...

I made this mask last year.  Hickory stripe denim with an interesting button fold-over to contain an easily replaceable hair tie ear loop.  The matching hair tie was a bonus.  At the time I read that denim made a good filter material, however I currently wear a three layer mask with non-woven filter.  I made a few other denim masks which I will have to dig out and photograph if anyone is interested in seeing them.

5B027153-808E-40B5-A4CB-BD2C00249125_1_201_a.jpeg