Pandemic Masks

julian-wolf

44 minutes ago, Radiohead89 said:

Imagine wearing a mask for something with a 99.8 survival rate for people under 40 lulz 

This statement proves you don’t get it. 

Either you’ve completely miscomprehended why one ought to wear a mask, or even worse you think those around you don’t deserve life. 

You should engage your brain before you type or post shit memes. 

31 minutes ago, louisbosco said:

i've been fortunate enough to travel while this was in it's early stages. so i roughly know how different places responded to the situation. Take Singapore as a prime example, over 60,000 cases but less than 30 deaths in a population of 5mil. Then there's also Australia, 1 state (WA) handled it brilliantly but the rest didn't and contributed to figures overall, not to mention hitting a second wave when they were so close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. the way i see it, total case number mean absolute fuck all. the true number we should see is the death toll, which will tell how people and a country dealt with the situation.

So, you’re saying, fuck the [most vulnerable],  they’re not the whole population ?!

A government that cares for its people plan strategy from a worst case scenario.  Push comes to shove,  survivability rate depends on availability & quality of medical care.  If hospitalization rate overtakes hospital care/bed availability,  then care-givers will have that unenviable & inevitable decision to refuse admission & select to care for patients that have better chance of survival ... & that,  is a situation that no government wants to be in.

Oiye! Apologies for breaking my promise ... :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, unders said:

This statement proves you don’t get it. 

Either you’ve completely miscomprehended why one ought to wear a mask, or even worse you think those around you don’t deserve life. 

You should engage your brain before you type or post shit memes. 

Shitpost

89831703-7DE7-4D63-B3EA-2B322B46E067.jpeg

13 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

So, you’re saying, fuck the [most vulnerable],  they’re not the whole population ?!

A government that cares for its people plan strategy from a worst case scenario.  Push comes to shove,  survivability rate depends on availability & quality of medical care.  If hospitalization rate overtakes hospital care/bed availability,  then care-givers will have that unenviable & inevitable decision to refuse admission & select to care for patients that have better chance of survival ... & that,  is a situation that no government wants to be in.

Unironically thinking governments are working for the best interest of the people 

559B04D2-C2F9-4038-A279-14E0618FA287.gif

Edited by Radiohead89

19 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

no. you're wrong. what i'm saying is that we shouldn't fixate our attention to the case numbers rather to the death toll. i'm sure that all medical and health care facilities do their utmost best in caring for their patients. sadly, not all countries medical systems are equal and this kind of outbreak will put some systems to the test in terms of capabilities. i'm fortunate enough to live in countries that has top notch medical facilities and (free) healthcare system which can cope with this kind of outbreak. additionally, case figures do not take into account aggressive testing and asymptomatic patients which could skew numbers, hence my statement which fixates the response to a more confirmed figure. countries in the East Asia region who has experience with SARS also tend to fare better.. ie. high cases, high recovery figures and a low death toll, which most countries may not be able to achieve.

Just out of curiosity @Radiohead89 and @louisbosco why were you visiting this thread in the first place or at all? It's clearly marked; you didn't show up unawares. I could understand this level of involvement if the topic of pandemic masks surfaced in and crowded out other conversation in the blunders and nonsense thread. I don't visit the Watches and Denim thread because--no offense guys--but I think the relationship between watches and denim is tenuous at best and I don't wear a watch. I don't go to that thread to tell the people interested in that discussion that what they're invested in is frivolous or moronic by my standards; that would be petulant. Moreover, the mere presence of a pandemic mask thread on the forum isn't instigating a debate nor were the people that started the conversation here.

1 minute ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

Just out of curiosity @Radiohead89 and @louisbosco why were you visiting this thread in the first place or at all? It's clearly marked; you didn't show up unawares. I could understand this level of involvement if the topic of pandemic masks surfaced in and crowded out other conversation in the blunders and nonsense thread. I don't visit the Watches and Denim thread because--no offense guys--but I think the relationship between watches and denim is tenuous at best and I don't wear a watch. I don't go to that thread to tell the people interested in that discussion that what they're invested in is frivolous or moronic by my standards; that would be petulant. Moreover, the mere presence of a pandemic mask thread on the forum isn't instigating a debate nor were the people that started the conversation here.

i'm not telling anyone anything. i'm merely giving my replies in a rational discussion with people i've known here for a long time. not sure about anyone else. 

Also low-key showing off that we in Western Australia are better off than everyone else in the world right now.. ;) bit insensitive i know but oh well.

This was supposed to be a thread to help those of us with enough respect for our communities find a good face mask. Instead, the resident trolls whose days are so pathetically sad that they need a repeated endorphin rush from the notifications that their dumbass, “controversial”, and totally misinformed comments generate have completely tanked an otherwise harmless thread. You couldn’t have picked a stupider hill to die on. 

Anyways, I’d like to recommend the masks made by Hudson Hill in Greensboro, NC. They have some great fabric choices and we’re pretty quick to shift their business to pandemic response, which has done a lot of good for their community.  

Edited by cusswords

On 10/3/2020 at 10:19 AM, justintk said:

Mine are not "heritage" but I do have one from Etsy that's chambray. My favorite, though, is from Outdoor Research, it's easy to breath through and came with some extra filters. I also got some "PM2.5" filters from Amazon, although I have a feeling that the coffee filter I was using before is just as effective. However, I need those for coffee! I have one without a wire, but I definitely prefer the nose wire. Otherwise my glasses fog up. I need to find one with head ties and a nose wire for extended use, the elastic ear loops work fine but they get annoying.

Thanks for the info on the Outdoor Research mask. I had been considering it and the positive review pushed me to give it a try. I'll let you know what I think once it's here.

That said, I have two Railcar masks and both work well but the elastic of these does get stretched out. I've been wearing them a bunch, so I really wouldn't say its a quality issue, simply the reality of small elastic bands. Using a comfort band to pull them tight along the back of my head seems to do the trick in keeping them useful.

Railcar has some pretty neat masks that are reasonably priced (for fancy masks anyway). I ordered the wabash one a couple days ago, and ordered the indigo denim one this morning. I’ll post some pics/thoughts when they arrive. 

I've tried a slew of store-bought masks, and my favorites by far have been from Lucia LaFerme, out of Nevada City: https://www.lucialaferme.com/shop/silk-face-mask

They're very comfortable, and they're all naturally-dyed with a variety of neat dyestuffs—will aim to take some photos of mine in the next few days

59 minutes ago, Dan_F said:

Railcar has some pretty neat masks that are reasonably priced (for fancy masks anyway). I ordered the wabash one a couple days ago, and ordered the indigo denim one this morning. I’ll post some pics/thoughts when they arrive. 

Looking forward to learning how you find the Railcar compared to the 1st PAT-RN @Dan_F. I got a Railcar wabash when they first started making them and find it rather small and not especially contoured. I've actually been looking at the 1st PAT-RN as a potential replacement.

On 10/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, justintk said:

Mine are not "heritage" but I do have one from Etsy that's chambray. My favorite, though, is from Outdoor Research, it's easy to breath through and came with some extra filters. I also got some "PM2.5" filters from Amazon, although I have a feeling that the coffee filter I was using before is just as effective. However, I need those for coffee! I have one without a wire, but I definitely prefer the nose wire. Otherwise my glasses fog up. I need to find one with head ties and a nose wire for extended use, the elastic ear loops work fine but they get annoying.

just ordered a couple of the OR masks. We’ll see how they go. They have a nose-wire, yeah?

@elmcitizen haha I see you’re getting some too. They look pretty nice/functional!

Edited by SuperJackle

@SuperJackle Yes, they have a nose wire, and the ear loops come with a little adjuster to make them fit better. (they are elastic also, so this may mitigate stretch).

Hope you guys like them! I mean as much as you can like a mask, anyway.

15 minutes ago, justintk said:

@SuperJackle Yes, they have a nose wire, and the ear loops come with a little adjuster to make them fit better. (they are elastic also, so this may mitigate stretch).

Hope you guys like them! I mean as much as you can like a mask, anyway.

@justintk The adjustable ear loops were a major selling point for me.

Edited by elmcitizen

Well, I'm not going to waste 13 minutes of my time on whatever that is. :rolleyes:
The fact that you have to reply to my comment about people dying with a 13 minute video about conspiracy theories should really make you take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror.
But you won't.

6 hours ago, elmcitizen said:

Thanks for the info on the Outdoor Research mask. I had been considering it and the positive review pushed me to give it a try. I'll let you know what I think once it's here.

That said, I have two Railcar masks and both work well but the elastic of these does get stretched out. I've been wearing them a bunch, so I really wouldn't say its a quality issue, simply the reality of small elastic bands. Using a comfort band to pull them tight along the back of my head seems to do the trick in keeping them useful.

I had the same issue with the elastic bands stretching on my RC masks. Nicely made but they’re no longer snug on my face

A few months ago, I would have added my collection of bandanas to this thread as they were what I was using for the most part as masks. However, I read quite a few studies and such that showed that the bandanas were basically ineffective and that even many cloth masks were not very good so I have since switched over to the disposable surgical masks just to be safe. 

As others have stated, we are not medical experts here (at least I don't think any of us are) so it's tough to really know exactly what is the most effective. I am sure there are cloth masks that are more effective than others, but that is difficult to measure so I just decided to play it safe and go with the standard, boring looking disposable masks. Heck, I even wear disposable gloves when I go out to the grocery store and such.

If anyone has any relevant information or statistics on the differences between disposable surgical masks and cloth masks, I would be interested in reading. I am not trying to say that I know for certain that the cloth masks being displayed here are ineffective as I am only going off of what I have read and I am curious to know more.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

@dudewuttheheck Although Bandana's are not as effective as surgical masks, the presence of a face covering is better than no covering. Surgical masks are able to prevent the release of aerosols/droplets more effectively than bandana's mainly due to the type of material used. These aerosols/droplets get trapped in the covering and can help prevent a person from spreading it if they are infected. These studies go a bit more in depth: Masks and Respiratory diseases and Types of Mask and their effectiveness. I don't work in researching this disease, but I do spend most of my work days fully gowned up in a lab. I find it rather odd that people are so against a prevention measure that has no adverse effect to them aside from maybe making their faces a bit hotter. Those biological warfare references also lets me know that that person does not understand the difference between the blocking a droplet coming out of your mouth and the dispersal of a chemical gas within a confined space. 

Edited by Lazerr

thanks @Lazerr and @SuperJackle

Yes, the material is something that I read about as well, which is why I went with the surgical masks. That second article is basically in line with what I have read, showing that surgical masks seem to do a pretty good job, second only to fitted n95 masks. I personally do not understand anyone's issue with being preventative either. I'm not really worried for myself too much, but I feel it's just irresponsible to go out without a decent mask.

I’ve found that many folks focus on their own mask wearing, and the statistics surrounding the rate of infection for the person wearing the mask around unmasked individuals. Masks are all about preventing the infected from transmitting the virus, rather than protecting oneself. But think about that; if everyone wears a mask, then we have to worry less on the receiving end.