Pandemic Masks

julian-wolf

It's been 6+ months and we still don't have a thread for folks to show off their fancy masks!

I'll start us off: I just made a fresh batch yesterday that I'm really happy with; they're raw silk, with a herringbone twill interior and a slightly embellished basketweave exterior, and they're big enough to fit snugly but comfortably around a beard

Not all are yet strung, but I did dye 3 1/2 of them yesterday, one in brazilwood and the rest in trusty turmeric

The brazilwood was fun—I'd never dyed with wood before, and I don't think I let the liquor steep for as long as I should have; the result was less depth of color than I was hoping for (although much more than shows up in the photos, for whatever reason), but still a great shade

o3HpxQy.jpg

5OrR7pg.jpg

YrpnLtq.jpg

KIipj5N.jpg

e7lho1r.jpg

eCEkVnA.jpg

1Vndzek.jpg

(Also shown, 2 pair mohair socks)

I have some fun masks from past months, but no photos on hand—will aim to take some this weekend, maybe

Exhibit, complain, discuss

3 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

e7lho1r.jpg

Flat lay - nothing less, nothing more :dry:

They look really good. What influenced your choice of fabrics? How washable/cleanable are they?

The duchess made a huge pile for this household - but from ‘child friendly’ patterned cottons (with a rather nifty interleave pocket), so my current favourite is cartoon style honey bees ...

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Flat lay - nothing less, nothing more :dry:

They look really good. What influenced your choice of fabrics? How washable/cleanable are they?

Hah, you got me—fair and a square

A couple of reasons for the choice of fabric:

First, as a material, silk is very appealing since it conducts moisture well and tends to stay cool. Most silks are really no fun at all to work with, though, because of how slippery they are; meanwhile, raw has pull that’s much more similar to cotton—and, conveniently, it’s relatively low-cost. From there it amounts to choosing a weave—if I had access to a 1x1 or 1x2 plainweave that would have been my preference, so as to minimize air transmission (my favorite mask is made from a plainweave raw silk, and it feels like it “breathes” just as well when it comes to heat & moisture management while likely doing a marginally better job with preventing disease transmission), but this herringbone twill was the tightest option that I had available, and it seems likely that it’ll do just fine.

Second, a big part of my reason for getting back into making masks, after having initially burnt out some time around May, is to have more things to dye—I really like dyeing, but I can only wear so many socks…so masks seemed like a good alternative. Dyeing animal fibres is much simpler than dyeing plant fibres (plant fibres require pre-treatment with tannin mordants in order to be made fast, a process that was sometimes known as “animalization” of the fibres before we figured out all the boring science of it…which I think is just super neat), which again made silk seem like the obvious choice. This sort of answers your other question, too: many natural dyes can very easily be made colorfast to silk, meaning that these will do fine with regular trips through the wash (though I do prefer air-drying, for the benefit of the fibres).

I picked this up from Standard and Strange this afternoon, and wore it for a few hours. I like it a lot. The outer layer is polyamide, and while I don’t actually know what that is, I can say that it’s more comfortable when it’s hot and I’m sweating than my all cotton masks. I’ll probably get the blue one as well.

59DCF77D-2C88-4332-8BF2-56DB0CA4EA70.jpeg

138A9947-588C-4DAF-82E2-4CA3C701F244.jpeg

This one is from Dawson Denim. It's great. Lots of washes. Worn a couple of times weekly since early in the pandemic. I've modified it slightly, to make the elastic go round the back of my head, cos I've got daft ears and the straps make them stick out and I end up looking like a denim teacup.

09BE82AA-0777-41C9-A220-F129A3B3EBE3.thumb.jpeg.3e981bff3b6d1cc96be1f42c8561a2a2.jpeg

I'm claiming a bit of mask roping here 

8BA9D905-7D74-4B54-8DA5-86B2493D0A65.thumb.jpeg.348ab3e5e998ab4ceb041758b2a48b3f.jpeg

My favorite mask is by Wolford. They're a luxury hosiery brand and they know how to deal with 3D shapes... It has a wire inside which means you can fit it closely around your nose. It's made of a mid weight synthetic fabric.

https://www.wolfordshop.com/care-masks

Just got the classic mask. The lace and silk are a bit much...

Mine are not "heritage" but I do have one from Etsy that's chambray. My favorite, though, is from Outdoor Research, it's easy to breath through and came with some extra filters. I also got some "PM2.5" filters from Amazon, although I have a feeling that the coffee filter I was using before is just as effective. However, I need those for coffee! I have one without a wire, but I definitely prefer the nose wire. Otherwise my glasses fog up. I need to find one with head ties and a nose wire for extended use, the elastic ear loops work fine but they get annoying.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, julian-wolf said:

It's been 6+ months and we still don't have a thread for folks to show off their fancy masks!

don't need masks when you have 0 community spread/cases for the past 6 months.. Perth, probably the safest place on earth right now..

Edited by louisbosco

my fave so far from gadis musim panas (summer girl) a designer friend of a friend who turned to mask-making during the pandemic. the neck and head loop is a single string of fabric, cool and effective design, you tie the end of the string on the back of yr head and the mask stays hanging on yr neck when you have to untie it for whatever reason. 

rHTSnQfl.jpg

has a nose wire, feels indispensable to me for cloth mask

bpDoSf5l.jpg

B5oTrHPl.jpg

comes in a reusable paper bag you can use to store spares + filter

wBBmPHpl.jpg

Edited by oomslokop
change photo size

15 hours ago, Radiohead89 said:

You’re that offended by a meme? Oh lord. 

FDEE9B26-9593-482E-B51A-FB6A924D1751.gif

Honestly, yes, I'm offended by your making light of the needless and avoidable deaths of hundreds of thousands of people—but that's far from what I was getting at. That alone wouldn't've warranted a reply, and, while generally in poor taste, your shitty humor definitely doesn't make you a shitty person. What does make you a shitty person is refusing to make adjustments to your life which would aid directly in slowing the spread of a major global pandemic: your actions and the actions of those like you are costing people their lives, and, to put it in terms that you may be more likely to care about, your actions are a primary reason for businesses continuing to be unable to reopen and for the continuing failure of the economy. This isn't about me being offended; it's about me being pissed off that you're getting in the way of me and the rest of the world getting back to our normal lives.

Look, if you don't want to wear a mask, don't wear a mask. This thread's not for you. Not everyone on this forum likes wearing watches, so not everyone posts in the watches thread. This really shouldn't be any more complicated than that. (The only difference is that folks choosing not to wear watches aren't harming anyone else in the process, and, again, you very much are.)

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Let’s not make a fashion statement out of something most of us are forced to wear with questionable benefits.

The benefits of masks are far beyond the point of being questionable within reason. Peer-reviewed results detailing their efficacy in slowing the spread of the disease have been available for months, and are no longer ambiguous. The last paragraph goes for you as well—if you don't want to participate, don't. That said, while I've come to expect this sort of bullshit from Radiohead, and while it makes a lot of sense coming from Duo, I really would have expected better from you, Martin. You always seemed like a fairly level-headed guy.

If either of you want somewhere to publicly argue into the void against the explicit recommendations of scientists and public health experts, do it in the COVID thread over on Supertrash, not here.

13 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

He got REALLY offended when I said social media is just for teenagers and bored women.

he got really madh...

I neg repped your post. That was the entirety of my response. It's not at all clear how you're getting from that to "REALLY offended" or "madh", but seriously, you'll have a much better time here if you stop taking everything so personally.

Edited by julian-wolf

13 hours ago, louisbosco said:

don't need masks when you have 0 community spread/cases for the past 6 months.. Perth, probably the safest place on earth right now..

Each and every day the cock crows just before sunrise, therefore the cock causes the sun to rise.