Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

I've been watching lots of early 80s pop videos this morning and i'd say the vast majority of the musicians from frontman/woman through to drummer.. no matter how talented they were/are would have never made it in the music biz since this era, simply because of the way they look..

Maybe becasue of my age, when i used to watch TOTP as a very young kid, an age when everyone looks old.. these musicians looked fkin ancient (Jim Diamond a case in point) even now looking back on them as they were.. maybe in their 20s .. in my mind they still look older than i think i do now in my late 40s :D i think it's because i associate that early 1980s style (before the mid to late 80s glamour) with much older peeps.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I still remember the exact moment of getting this album home from Warp.. i think i'd heard mention of A Tribe Called Quest on a Jungle Brothers track but back in 1990 i knew nothing of their music.. i put the needle on the record and for the first 40 seconds I thought.. Oh No!.. what the flip have i bought here?.. then the bass kicks and faith was restored. B)

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 3/2/2023 at 3:12 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

I still remember the exact moment of getting this album home from Warp.. i think i'd heard mention of A Tribe Called Quest on a Jungle Brothers track but back in 1990 i knew nothing of their music.. i put the needle on the record and for the first 40 seconds I thought.. Oh No!.. what the flip have i bought here?.. then the bass kicks and faith was restored. B)

I was fortunate enough to have seen ATCQ open for the Beastie Boys back when Hello Nasty came out (‘98 or ‘99?). Great show 

When I was 13 I liked Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. If I had heard Bobby Hutcherson then, I would have decided that such music was good for hand soap commercials. Now it's the other way round.

I went there once - a Friday in April 1989, the night before the Hillsborough disaster.  It was a great night - funk/jazz/soul if I remember correctly and a wonderful venue in the City Hall.

In that article, there’s a link to another article about a DJ called Luke Una - I remember him well from my student days in Manchester, I think he was at the Polytechnic. We used to go to all the same clubs and have a bit of a chat but were really just nodding acquaintances - it was a smallish scene. I think the last time I saw him was in the (Factory) Dry Bar in about 1990!

I love Luke Una.. his WorldwideFM sessions got me through many 'a sleepless night during lockdown when my insomnia kicked back in..

In fact, that line in the article about 'shirtless ravers' is taken directly from his musings regarding Underground Resistance gigs in one of the above mentioned episodes.. he used to live in Sheff before moving to Manchester.

Sarah and I have been to a few of his Unabomber nights, bit later though.. mid-late 90s.

The Hacienda has a disproportionate amount of acclaim for its role in the acid house scene.  It definitely played an important part but the part has grown over time proportionate to the media narrative.  I went quite a bit early 90s - and when Maynard posts his first WAYWT pic, I might even be able to say if I saw him at the back in Dry at that time :). I loved Graeme Park's tunes then and still listen to his sets now, especially the 90s ones on MixCloud.  However, from my pov, nothing could ever get close to the total madness that was The State in Liverpool in the summer of '89.  It was an imperfect storm.  OK so maybe the Quadrant Park in '90 did get close.  It's all pov as no doubt those in London will say Shoom, Blackburn Set End etc etc... for those caught in the eye of the storm, it's wherever you were that was the place that set it all alight   

Edited by MJF9

My first real eye opener to the scene was at a rave in Clink St Studios (same place as the prison museum) in early summer ‘88. Imho it was better than any of the Friday (Nude) nights at the Hacienda that I’d been to before or after. That whole summer was a string of acid warehouse parties around central and inner east and south-east London in old factories, etc before the M25 raves in fields etc took off in ‘89. Once the Romford ravers were in, I was out! :laugh2:

We went to Ibiza in the summer of '88, as a coincidence.  We were just a gang of lads going on holiday.  Once there we went to Ku and were like wtf is going on here then. It was an eye opener. When we got back, there was a night at the State nightclub doing acid house so we started going when we could.  It wasn't busy by any stretch and the club was transitioning from goth (The Cure, The Smiths et al) to dance.  The DJ (pretty sure Mike Knowler and Andy Carroll) didn't have enough "acid house" records to make it through the night so used to add in Prince, Don Maclean etc and put the acid tunes on repeat.  It's all very hazy, though notably Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock were big.  There was another place in Liverpool called The Underground (Jon Kelly, James Barton et al) along similar timelines.  I went a few times but it never had the vibe of The State, for me, and that was the big draw then.  Ditto I never got that vibe from the Hacienda.  It was definitely micro micro culture, growing / exploding into 89, then more thereafter every year with the unfortunate mutations following (Vicks, dummies wtf).  I say imperfect storm as it was a juncture between 6th form and thereafter and a big long summer of mischief that was all by chance...

Edited by MJF9