Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

18 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

They look good Neal. For even less £££ you could simply buy a separate USB CD/DVD drive and rip your CDs to a music library on your MacBook hard drive.

I have thought about it but I wouldn’t have enough storage to handle it, also that Brennan is a player, I’ve got 3x players atm, all of which are shite. An ancient iPod-video which is synced to a long defunct iTunes library so can never be updated, an old shuffle on a tinny Bose dock and another player in the spare room which uses sd card.

@pomata yes, looked into that too, I sold my 90’s NAD set up when my kid was a baby cos he kept pulling buttons off/poking shit in the CD tray (it was stacked on the floor so I only have myself to blame) and moved my cd collection into my mum’s attic, it’s all taped up in huge plastic storage cases, I don’t really want it all back, we don’t exactly live in a sprawling mansion and I don’t want it to be on display in the limited space we have but I do want to play it.

Sure room can be an issue. I live in an apartment and had to make a selection af all the stuff I had when I was a kid (a few hundreds of cds and vinyls are enough now). Feels too good to actually put a record on and enjoy the music though!

I’ll add another vote for just ripping all your CDs & getting set up to play them from your computer (or whatever other device)

There’s no such thing, really, as higher- or lower-quality CD players, as far as actually reading the CDs goes—that’s a big upside to digital media—any quality difference will be in the DAC and amplifier, and any decent DAC + amp will plug into your computer just as easily as to a CD player, so you might as well save the physical space. A thousand CDs takes up a good few shelves, but it’s no more than ~3 TB of actual data, which is plenty cheap these days

Thanks for the input lads.. i think i'll get one of those Brennan's and start ripping the cd collection. Ive been lurking around a few hifi forums this weekend, i used to nerd-out on hifi equipment in a pre-internet age so just had a little refresher course.. They're a fucking weird bunch hifi nerds.. they make us denim nerds seem well balanced in comparison.

When i was a pesky teenager my ears would ring/play a Hmmmmmm tone for a couple of days after being out all night and stood too close to speakers, i don't think ive damaged them but i'm sure i didn't do them any good..
I've only ever been for my ears syringed once after using Sennheiser earbuds for prolonged periods at work, it was f'kin amazing, it felt less like a hearing improvement and more like i'd gained a super power.. like my spidey-sense was tingling, just popping open the central locking on the car was like entering a whole new world of audio.. alas this soon wore off.
When my kid was little, his mum and i would be whispering quietly in the kitchen and the boy would shout through from the front room "i can hear what you're saying" pfft! yeah right, then years later he could hear a sonic fox deterrent in my mum's garden, undetectable to all but dogs.. anyway.. the point i'm trying to make with these hifi nerds, a lot of whom are older than I, they'll pay a small fortune to separate pre and power ect ect.. for improved audio quality, when i was a younger dude, i thought this was an entirely reasonable thing to do but as a middle aged dude with middle aged hearing.. how the fuck are these almost inaudiable levels of interference detectable to these 60yr old hifi nerds with dull 60yr old hearing? are they syringing on the daily.. or just talking bollocks?

That’s so true Neal, my kids appear to be deaf when I’m directly asking them to do or stop something, however, they have the amazing ability to hear through closed doors/other rooms/different floor levels when Mrs F and I are speaking quietly about things we don’t necessarily want them to hear.

In other news, on a Hi-Fi forum, far, far away, some middle-aged men are questioning the sanity of people who prefer their jeans to be made of cotton from Tennessee rather than Zimbabwe and contain rivets in the back pockets that no-one but them knows are there!

On 5/14/2022 at 12:32 AM, julian-wolf said:

There’s no such thing, really, as higher- or lower-quality CD players

lol. Did you ever hear a comparison between a 50£ player and a 2000£ one? If you hear no difference (I doubt that), it doesn't mean there's no difference.  

@pomata You're right. It doesn't mean there's no difference. As I said, it means there's a difference in the DAC or the amplification stages.

CDs aren't like tape or records. There's no finesse involved in getting the data off of the medium: it's just 1s and 0s that are read directly onto an onboard RAM. This is the same whether you're loading the bits straight into a £2 000 deck or storing them on your computer. It's what you do after reading them that makes the difference.

On 5/16/2022 at 3:41 PM, julian-wolf said:

@pomata You're right. It doesn't mean there's no difference. As I said, it means there's a difference in the DAC or the amplification stages.

CDs aren't like tape or records. There's no finesse involved in getting the data off of the medium: it's just 1s and 0s that are read directly onto an onboard RAM. This is the same whether you're loading the bits straight into a £2 000 deck or storing them on your computer. It's what you do after reading them that makes the difference.

Exactly - same argument applies to cables and other components dedicated to digital aspects. Technically there is no* data loss so it shouldn’t make any difference as long as the component in question is built/operates to the correct base standard.

The analogue output is a different matter entirely and many will spend thousands adding ‘colour’ (noise) to a digital signal.

*no = miniscule e.g. HDMI BER is 1 error per billion bits