Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

3 hours ago, chicote said:

Picked up the ol’ drum sticks again for the first time in five years and tried to pick up this beat... needless to say I butchered it lol. Nobody makes rhythms like fela!!!

I was listening to lots of fela kuti records last week 

always loved these ones:

Edit. I read that Fela was nominated for the rock and roll hall of fame- just check and he’s in the lead!

Edited by fre-co

People under the stairs samples that gabor szabo track!

Wow that takes me back lol. And szabo references donovan w the “translove airways” comment in the intro...

and in that track Donovan name drops jefferson airplane, months before they had any international recognition!

... and Jefferson Airplane, of course, drops acid :P

It's not a bonus round y'know!... buy yes PUtS B)

Back in the mid 80's when i was a kid on the cusp of developing my own musical tastes, superficially this era seemed like a terrible choice between power ballads, dad rock or the cocaine end of the new romanticism. I hated all this bollocks but i only got 20p/week spending money which didn't afford music unless it came out of the Bargin Bin at Woolworths so it was either taping a few 'gems' (Just Buggin by Whistle for instance) from the radio on my twin cassette deck or hitting my folks record collection. Luckily for me, my mum was a child of the 60's and her records collection albeit small was immaculate.. all very folksy, hippie leaning whereas in stark contrast my dad's side of the stereo cabinet was all very conservative.. brassband type biz... i digress, in the late 80's my folks were going to see Donovan at the City Hall, i was giving them shit "You're going to watch Jason Donovan?" as obnoxious teenagers do, on their way out the door my mother gave me a Donovan cassette which must have come out of her private stash, i'd never seen it before but i was hooked by the time they got back home, i don't think i ever let on at the time just how great it was...being a sulky teenager and all

Spent an hour today struggling to play along with the time changes in this... thought it was so straightforward. One of my favourite songs and albums of all time!

Edited by chicote

Throwing this curious band out there for folk should it float boats. 

A mix of good traditional heavy metal and early black metal (first wave, not the 90s shrieking black metal). 
Songs are retellings of traditional Slovakian folktales, and sang (snarled/growled) in their native tongue. Tracks titled ‘In the provincial pond, a water goblin has been raging for centuries’ and ‘Not long after midnight, the abomination has crawled out of the hole’ are worth a listen right? :D
Plenty of changing (metal) styles, classical excerpts and cool-sounding samples from old Slovakian films make this a great listen. 

Edit: it’s not a wind-up. There is music after the 45 seconds of farm animals at the beginning. 

Edited by unders