Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

So do I. The Now-Again repress, at least. 

For anyone interested, Now-Again and it’s owner Egon (formerly of Stones Throw in the 2000s) repress some amazing music and go to great lengths to get hold of original lacquers/masters etc and to involve the artists and families and pay them properly. 

https://www.nowagainrecords.com/

Well that's terrible news to be waking up to!

Jeez! 49, it's far too young, has the cause of death been made public?

Reminds me of when Mark B died a few years ago... i only found out via Singletrack forum (where he was an active poster) months after the event, another talented musician taken too soon...

Such a shame about Doom. 
I’ve also been listening to Now Again since Egon set it up. Now hardly listen to Stones throw since Egon and madlib both  left.
I used to have a Drip Fm subscription for Now Again so have a good amount of the catalogue digitally, was also buying their vinyl and I did initially have the Now Again Reserve subscription. Still like the label a lot. Rappcats is a good label too. 
Madlib being a great producer I especially liked his work when teamed up with MF Doom. 

Edited by UkeNo

40 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Such a shame about Doom. 
I’ve also been listening to Now Again since Egon set it up. Now hardly listen to Stones throw since Egon and madlib both  left.
I used to have a Drip Fm subscription for Now Again so have a good amount of the catalogue digitally, was also buying their vinyl and I did initially have the Now Again Reserve subscription. Still like like the label a lot. Rappcats is a good label too. 
Madlib being a great producer I especially liked his work when teamed up with MF Doom. 

Agreed! 
I collected stones throw vinyl right from the beginning but have not bought anything for many years. I have a good chunk of now again releases too and would love a few of the reserve subscription records. 
I really enjoy Egon’s writings on the blog and Instagram. Didn’t make it to rappcats when I was in LA a few years ago though. 

4 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Jeez! 49, it's far too young, has the cause of death been made public?

Not that I know of, just a somewhat cryptic press release stating that he actually passed back on October 31st.
Such a shame, I've been listening to DOOM for well over 10+ years. Always remaining a constant in my rap tastes.

I'll consume anything Damon Albarn touches. I've learned of many great, amazing artists through him that I'd otherwise not know of. 

IMO, this is the best song of 2020. It didn't get any traction though, compared to some other tracks from Sound Machine. Don't care, though, I love it. 

back to some meta-themes... [within a hip hop derivation...]

given the discussion on vintage and the marking points and consensus on 20 years limits, do enjoy this video, made in 2013 that expresses nostalgia for the early 2000s...

[a recent expression of something near to this is here ....]

never seen / heard rap before that combine 'Louis bag full of heroin' with Pokemon talk... 

then from sad boys to drain gang ascending... more recent bladee [with a bit of animal crossing aesthetics ... really enjoyed listening to 'the needle drop's review / attempt to listen to bladee's excellent 333 ... 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

58 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

with the nice things thread showing all these musical gubbins, went to listen to a bit of bandcamp presence of There's Talk / @youngofthesoonest... 

v. nice, with 'Disinformation' def getting good Fever Ray vibes... 

I’m sure Floki would approve - but these locals to me are descended from those who ensured The Danelaw was far enough south :tongue:

1 hour ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

with the nice things thread showing all these musical gubbins, went to listen to a bit of bandcamp presence of There's Talk / @youngofthesoonest... 

v. nice, with 'Disinformation' def getting good Fever Ray vibes... 

Thanks for listening! Glad you mentioned fever ray and the knife. Those were def references for us when describing to each other the sounds we were trying to get. 

• 2 weeks later...