Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

Recent rotations from my turntable:

black flag - damaged https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeCjNguF7nQ5raIxHWkF7V_7Ufc-B8Iv0

Shaolin soul episode 1 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GL-m2cAex-E

BDP - criminal minded https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlGZ6uEMhc

The advancement - stone folk https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q48aLvGw0NY

seem to have been listening to a lot of mellower stuff in last weeks - some might say there's not a lot to it, but you could equally say pretty dreamy. And like Double 0 said above - give it a little time for the beats to break...

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I love that Mental Cube @freshwater where in the UK do you hail from? old rave tunes sometimes give it away but not this time.

Born and reared in Coventry, which meant as an 11 year old in 1979 The Specials were the centre of my universe.

So a good excuse to drop some 2Tone, a couple from their first 2 albums, I always kind of preferred the album version of Too Much Too Young. A couple from Special AKA In The Studio and one from the legendary Rico.  Enjoy :-)

Yeah, fuck Ed Sheeran! The Specials should be a rite of passage for all kids, i like Friday Night Saturday Morning, it's urban poetry.

When i was a sexy teenager i had a bit of bedroom dj set up, i used to go to Manchester on the train every Saturday to buy vinyl and often come home on Sunday.. i first met my Mrs on one such trip across the Pennines, i was a besotted 17 year old, she was a much cooler 18 year old on placement living in a hotel in Manchester, doing a retrateurs diploma... these 2 tracks remind of that loved up time.

Fast-fwd to our wedding, we'd been to South America and the anti-malaria drugs meant that her birth control wasn't going to work but we'd had thoughts towards it being a perfect time to start a family, of course the inevitable happened. Not being the conventional types, we made a snap decision to get married when she was 6mths preggers, just the two of us, her twin Sis and my dearest friend as witnesses, they asked us to pick two tunes which i was stressing over with a massive 'short' list, they said we could go with the standard cassette (cassette? this was 2009) which we did, we walked in to this..

and left to this..

the registrar was as camp as Christmas, it couldn't have been anymore fitting :)

Sounds like a good do Neal, where was my invitation? Who doesn’t like a bit of Kenny & Dolly? My brother-in-law always plays that when he’s had a few. Not so sure about Kylie & Jason though, even ironically, great view of the Tyne Bridge in the video though.

One of my mates got married in a barn just outside Norwich, with a hog roast, ‘twas a great affair. As we all entered the chapel for the ceremony, this was playing and I think I was the only one who knew it apart from the happy couple who selected it!

As it’s Friday and I’m working from home with Jazz FM on the radio, I’ll throw this in for free:

Nice story, memories & tunes there @Double 0 Soul

Friday night Saturday Morning is one of their best for sure. Very factual urban poetry with regards to Coventry city centre night life back then. The Larcano was a music venue/nite spot which was called Tiffanys in the late 70's, I was lucky enough to get to see them there back in the day, as well as The Selector & The Bodysnatchers. Ended up in the mentioned chip shop (was called The Parsons Nose) many many many times, and yes the pies were really nice! The taxi queue was just across the road.

As it's Friday Night I'll leave this right here.....

rediscovered my 14 fathoms deep cassette this morning - a comp of mid 90s hip hop from seattle... goes nicely with the last couple posts. a couple of my favourites:

edit: some more seattle hip hop i grew up with... these three guys were my first show in fifth grade, i snuck out of home with three friends, we took the bus an hour and a half to pull up at this bar downtown and made it in the front row. the whole place was packed with college kids on molly, best believe everybody was wondering what the hell we were doing there!

Edited by chicote

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Ha^ the intro is a condensed version of The Pilgrim intro

It sure is..I didn’t realize that. 

Still haven’t shipped my amp to get fixed yet, my wife is going to kill me if I keep putting it off...hopefully it’s not a big problem to repair. 
I have an old back up system that’ll work in the meantime.

This is well known alright but its one of those songs that always makes the people who like it Really happy when you hear it -  I always picture peoples lost in the song and happy faces on the dance floor when its played