Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

On 8/28/2020 at 8:24 AM, Suitedupmon said:

I cannot shake the jpop/rock kick I've been on. Starting my morning with this gem:

Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen (up to their "Adult" album) defined my highschool/college years. Thank you for this flashback.

10 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You might like this Ooms.. my next door but two neighbour Eve Wood made this little documentary in 2001 about the post punk scene in Sheff and how it transitioned into electro-pop

That one?

F5ED85B9-B918-42E8-A2A8-F4D318770407.jpeg.f8247a7da7aaa627e8afe230a1b32a23.jpeg

great documentary, indeed!

That's the one, small world isn't it, i didn't know Eve and Richard were our new neighbours till we moved in.

@Foxy2 have you seen one of their other films called 'The Beat is the Law'  i haven't yet.. it's more Pulp-centric set against the backdrop of the Thatcher government with contributions from Chakk, FON, Warp, TDR ect

I'll have to pop round and borrow a dvd, she owes me half a bottle of gin :D

is this just for random bits of music and memories? These 2 really evoke the eighties which for some reason I was thrown back to this morning (well - 1 of my versions of the eighties). they're more Marmite than many- esp The Names (because of the style of singing?) but thought might remind some of you or you may like   - which is what some of the posts on here have done for me. :mellow::)

15 minutes ago, Chris T said:

is this just for random bits of music and memories? 

quoting myself from first page: '... wondering about this as a thread to post what you are listening to, what sounds you are avoiding, with or without reference to what you are wearing or other posting on the thread... [I know there is a lot of musicality sitting around on the forum...]'

the random and the remembered welcomed alongside the meta- and or super denim specific...

On 8/7/2020 at 7:34 PM, oomslokop said:

don't know how I missed this one!

royal trux ftw!

below: from one of jennifer herrema's solo albums...

below that: royal trux second album... [edit, I forgot their eponymously titled first one...]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

yasss @bartlebyyphonics twin infinitives! it's probably my fave rtx album along with singles live unreleased but sweet sixteen holds a special place in my life for being my first rtx experience. im basically an rtx slut though, even white stuff i like. 

On 8/8/2020 at 3:33 AM, UkeNo said:

@oomslokop
This is excellent Ooms. I’m reading the article now. 
Will pick up a copy soon hopefully. Congratulations on this. The fact that it’s received  a reissue is really something too. 

sorry for the late response @UkeNo thanks a lot for this! cheers! 

lemme introduce u guys to a treasure trove of old indonesian pop music at irama nusantara ("rhythms of the archipelago"). this one is a classic cha-cha/amekaji country-hawaiian album (legend has it a hawaiian steel guitarist did a tour of the then dutch east indies, got sucked in by idyllic tempo doeloe life, and decided to stay spreading his gospel of hawaiian pop that combined well with indo keroncong) based on life in pasar baru, a market in central jakarta (still exists). browse around, everything is lovingly archived with photos of the original sleeves and 78s/45s/12s/10s (popular economical format)/7s records. 

http://iramanusantara.org/#/record/761

Sonny Rollins turned 90 today. I feel like we’re all lucky to live alongside this giant. I don’t have a vinyl pic or YouTube link here, I’m just grateful for him, and hope some of you all listen to some of his tunes tonight :)

Been watching a TV show recently, Halt and Catch Fire—it's a really great show all around, but its theme song in particular is one of very few that keep me from skipping past the intro

The theme's by a Danish guy Trentemøller who's always made some of my favorite background music for studying / working, with The Last Resort being the album to which I most often default:

^ one of my minor pleasures of watching tv and films is when something catches your mind and then figuring if the some of the theme tune or other music is original/by someone you might know/like or whether its a soundslike:happy: - (and I've now totally forgotten my last example:rolleyes:....)

it was an older Agnes Obel song so a little less distinct - gave that sense you had a connection - but not quite sure.... (yeah - thanks for that pearl:laugh2:)

Edited by Chris T

On 9/4/2020 at 9:16 PM, oomslokop said:

lemme introduce u guys to a treasure trove of old indonesian pop music at irama nusantara ("rhythms of the archipelago"). this one is a classic cha-cha/amekaji country-hawaiian album (legend has it a hawaiian steel guitarist did a tour of the then dutch east indies, got sucked in by idyllic tempo doeloe life, and decided to stay spreading his gospel of hawaiian pop that combined well with indo keroncong) based on life in pasar baru, a market in central jakarta (still exists). browse around, everything is lovingly archived with photos of the original sleeves and 78s/45s/12s/10s (popular economical format)/7s records. 

http://iramanusantara.org/#/record/761

Ho-lee fuck, @oomslokop, this is, indeed, a treasure trove. Such great stuff! Going to get sucked into this black hole at the weekend.

Lately, I've been listening to classics known and unknown.

Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight

The Len Bright Combo - The Len Bright Combo Present...The Len Bright Combo...By The Len Bright Combo

Television Personalities - ...And Don't The Kids Just Love It

FACS - Void Moments