Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

On 8/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, UkeNo said:

Let’s get Neal @Double 0 Soul in here to tell us tales of Warp Records early days up in Sheffield. 
Sure he probably used to drink tea with LFO and BOC back-in-ta’-day ;)

Sorry lads ive been mad-busy of late.

Mark Bell (rip) was a breaker pre-LFO B)

It all started here..
https://c.yell.com/t_galleryFit,f_auto/400996cf-aafd-4db7-b26c-cf15d552167a_image_jpeg.jpg
back in the 80's this^ jewelers on Division Street in Sheffield used to be FON a tiny record shop, the name taken from some old graff painted on a nearby wall 'Fuck Off Nazi's' which had remained since the 1940's B) FON, an acryonym there of... all us 'bedroom DJ's' used to queue down the street on a Saturday for the fresh imports, the shop could only hold about 6 peeps... at this time FON sold hip-hop, '80s soul, electrofunk, dub and reggae.. pre- bleep bass revolution.
Above FON Records was FON Studio founded by industrial-funk band Chakk (81-87) one of whose members was Mark Brydon who went on to form Moloko, Krush ect and producers Richard H. Kirk of Cabaret Voltaire fame..
Rob Mitchell and Steve Beckett took over FON, Winston Hazel was the buyer and with the fast growing dance music scene moved to larger premises across the road, re-naming the joint Warp, the rest is history :)  Warp wasn't the catalyst of bleep/bass but it was certainly a massive driving force.. i can fill in some of which when i get 5mins.

This photo made me smile recently, Oscar Peterson advertising the 303 before it acidentally formed the bedrock of acid-house

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Edr4ABhXkAA7xHB?format=jpg&name=medium

A friend of mine was senior designer at TDR @CASSAVA PIECE he later went on to form Kiosk.

I love Cab Fare @cottonskinblues it's a SoM classic which i don't think made the album because Bob James never cleared the sample..

I'll tune in for more of a read/contribution as spread some rep when my schedule returns to normal but in the meantime here's some DP with a little Roy Ayers sample

Last record listened to before my Rega amp stopped working. Vinyl reissue of original ROIR cassette released in 81. Two tracks recorded live at CBGB in 78...would have been something to see Alan and Martin on the lower east side back then.

Anyone familiar with Rega integrated amps? I’ve had mine for about two years, it just recently stopped working/(amplifying?). It still powers on just wont amp the speakers. Rega’s gear is high quality it shouldn’t be jacked up with just over 2 years use.

Great thread by the way.

A1FD2A8E-2D16-484F-A2F5-C8A0A061EC1C.jpeg

More of my recent heavy rotation:

gloria barnes- uptown : awesome obscure deep soul from Ohio featuring Lee Moses and band 

ghetto brothers - power fuerza 

james brown - sho is funky down here

Penrose records volume 1

Edited by fre-co

Thanks Double 0. It should still be under warranty, just don’t want to deal with shipping it if it’s something simple I can fix... like a fuse. But if it was a fuse it wouldn’t power on I guess. Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, 81611 said:

Last record listened to before my Rega amp stopped working. Vinyl reissue of original ROIR cassette released in 81. Two tracks recorded live at CBGB in 78...would have been something to see Alan and Martin on the lower east side back then.

Anyone familiar with Rega integrated amps? I’ve had mine for about two years, it just recently stopped working/(amplifying?). It still powers on just wont amp the speakers. Rega’s gear is high quality it shouldn’t be jacked up with just over 2 years use.

Great thread by the way.

A1FD2A8E-2D16-484F-A2F5-C8A0A061EC1C.jpeg

Huge love for Martin and Alan at this end!

Martin's vocal delivery for love songs both in Suicide and performing solo always much loved...

plus love the lo-fi aspect of the Brussels recording and the 'love' of the crowd towards the end ... 'lets hear it for Frankie!!!' ... 

22 hours ago, fre-co said:

gloria barnes- uptown : awesome obscure deep soul from Ohio featuring Lee Moses and band 

ghetto brothers - power fuerza 

james brown - sho is funky down here

Penrose records volume 1

That Gloria Barnes record sounds extremely enticing. I just recently got that James Brown album and I definitely think its an underrated James Brown album. 

Edit: Can anyone recommend a good cleaning solution for vinyl records? I recently ran out and am looking for something to clean my records with. Even a good homemade recipe.

Edited by cottonskinblues
Adding content

38 minutes ago, cottonskinblues said:

That Gloria Barnes record sounds extremely enticing. I just recently got that James Brown album and I definitely think its an underrated James Brown album. 

Edit: Can anyone recommend a good cleaning solution for vinyl records? I recently ran out and am looking for something to clean my records with. Even a good homemade recipe.

Colemine repressed Gloria Barnes - uptown a couple of years ago. It’s a fantastic album. 

Today : James Knight and the Butlers - Black Knight. Awesome ‘black rock’ record from 1971. Highly recommended 

14 hours ago, 81611 said:

Wino was in the band Shrinebuilder with one of my favorites, Al Cisneros from Sleep. I haven’t heard much from him otherwise. I’ll have to check him out. I dig your taste in metal @unders.

Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker are masterpieces. Haven’t seen them live which I must do at some point. 

By the way, I was going to buy a Rega Brio in a few weeks time but may look elsewhere if yours has shot so soon. 

@unders I saw Sleep twice, once on 4/20 a couple years ago, they opened with 30 mins of Dopesmoker. Al’s bass drone made my wife nauseous haha ...I enjoyed it. I’m lucky to live close to a small metal bar in Brooklyn that brings in a lot of lesser known acts as well.    

Personally, I was impressed with the Brio after listening to it at a local record store. Decided to go with the larger Elicit though, absolutely no complaints with Rega’s sound.

I may be to blame for the malfunction of mine but that’s hard to believe considering the pretty straight forward operation of the power button (on/off)... I’ve just been putting off contacting the dealer to get the warranty straightened out.

AB08A737-A4F5-4A79-8E09-09AB60514F4A.jpeg

Bought the small Rega’s 2nd hand late last year (together with the medium sized speakers) as an extra system - eventually, this will go to Scotland with a turntable.

great sound!

654B6BA2-42D6-4447-8743-DF9FA11653BC.jpeg.5dc7003296bf4151d604272b38440df6.jpeg

20CEE4E3-F842-4DFC-A1A6-9B4ADF5403B4.jpeg.63a94fe038b627485d9f9035d795d5af.jpeg

Solid system. I almost bought those Rega speakers but went with Spendor A4s (another impressive British brand). I’ve been wanting to try one of their CD players, for now just using a Rega P6 turntable. 

On 8/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, fre-co said:

@fre-co Gloria's been on repeat all week... mesmerisingly brilliant... dreamy vocals and heartfelt lyrics... thank you for posting pal... awesome indeed

Enjoying your other suggestions too - keep going

That looks like all Gloria put out though - do you know of anything else? 

On 8/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Sorry lads ive been mad-busy of late.

Mark Bell (rip) was a breaker pre-LFO B)

It all started here..
https://c.yell.com/t_galleryFit,f_auto/400996cf-aafd-4db7-b26c-cf15d552167a_image_jpeg.jpg
back in the 80's this^ jewelers on Division Street in Sheffield used to be FON a tiny record shop, the name taken from some old graff painted on a nearby wall 'Fuck Off Nazi's' which had remained since the 1940's B) FON, an acryonym there of... all us 'bedroom DJ's' used to queue down the street on a Saturday for the fresh imports, the shop could only hold about 6 peeps... at this time FON sold hip-hop, '80s soul, electrofunk, dub and reggae.. pre- bleep bass revolution.
Above FON Records was FON Studio founded by industrial-funk band Chakk (81-87) one of whose members was Mark Brydon who went on to form Moloko, Krush ect and producers Richard H. Kirk of Cabaret Voltaire fame..
Rob Mitchell and Steve Beckett took over FON, Winston Hazel was the buyer and with the fast growing dance music scene moved to larger premises across the road, re-naming the joint Warp, the rest is history :)  Warp wasn't the catalyst of bleep/bass but it was certainly a massive driving force.. i can fill in some of which when i get 5mins.

Not to mention Age of Chance & their version of “Kiss” being produced, mixed & released on Fon before signing to Virgin.

6A436973-1404-4092-BD9D-C3C4A4D6C198.jpeg.67b83f5f8db051e99b042e9696bb23d7.jpeg

On 8/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Ive been firmly stuck in a Disco/Larry Levan phase for the last few years.. Im also a big fan of tracing samples back to their origins which often takes me down odd musical-wormholes, discovering Cal Tjader via Midnight Marauders for instance or Throbbing Gristle via Dilla

Great re-release of one of Larry’s very first mixes from a couple of years back.

6D7F3585-B0DB-41AA-944B-6F8D92B78FE9.jpeg.d53c783944eb05889643ed8705d3138b.jpeg

Edited by Foxy2