Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

Is this where we post WAYWT photos in band / label tee shirts? I think the only ones I own at this point are from Gomez…

or

I know it's a long-shot, but was anyone here on Oink or What? As far as I'm concerned, that was peak internet; it's all been downhill since 2016

16 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

I know it's a long-shot, but was anyone here on Oink or What? As far as I'm concerned, that was peak internet; it's all been downhill since 2016

Used to be a mod on Waffles (RIP), and very active on What...small world.

hello all

I know there is a music thread deep in the superfuture sub-structure, but as most superdenim users seem to remain within the superdenim frame of reference wondering about this as a thread to post what you are listening to, what sounds you are avoiding, with or without reference to what you are wearing or other posting on the thread... [I know there is a lot of musicality sitting around on the forum...]

for my post today: always a sucker for concept albums, this one by czarface; released as vinyl album with comic book to read whilst listening... alternate history wrestling meets cosmic travel... a conflictual tale via quasi-easy listening...

'first weapon drawn', posted on youtube by none other than sun tzu...

Talking music, just got a new shipment.
Top left to bottom right: Erobique - Urlaub in Italien/Überdosis Freude 12", Quelle Chris & Chris Keys - Innocent Country Season 2, Quelle Chris & Chris Keys - Innocent Country Season 1, Knxwledge - 1988, Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What kinda music, Blu & Exile - Miles, Idris Muhammad  - Turn this mutha out, El Michels Affair - Adult Themes, Cymaned - A simple act of Faith

IMG_20200805_120105.thumb.jpg.eb3c28e766dea26f05bc6bdb69a4a576.jpg

^Bartles, do you like MF DOOM in general. My favorite release made by him is probably the "Sadevillain" EP, got it as a bootleg in Kopenhagen few years ago, came on translucent pink vinyl, big ting!

Guy got many concept albums, storyline-wise. L'Orange also puts out great concept albums along with other artists, also classics would be Deltron 3030

Edited by Thanks_M8

^ I have always been a fan of the underrated "Born Like This" by DOOM. Also, what did you think of the new Blu & Exile. Still haven't listened.

To contribute, I have been knee deep in Flipper's Guitar. I'm a huge Beach Boys fan, and their sample of God Only Knows is beautiful in the song below:

Edited by Suitedupmon

@Thanks_M8, @Suitedupmon - thanks for the MF Doom references will check up: never listened to much apart from his album with czarface and his 'special herbs vol 1+2' (despite the amount of ink spilt on him in the wire...) - I tend to listen to same albums on loop for months... right now, in terms of hip hop post wu-tang goodness, 'first weapon drawn' & 'every hero needs a villain', last year more kendrick lamar and (despite myself) drake's 'nothing was the same' - mostly because of this review by the most missed mark fisher... (otherwise am introducing little ones to delights of black sabbath war pigs & bowie via berlin trilogy... then on to krautrock goodness of neu! 2) ...

interested to hear other sufu-indigo-lovers listening links...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

This has prompted me to dig out one of my favourite 12 inches. 

Its from the now defunct Money Studies - the in-house label from Turntable Lab in NY. 

My favourite Doom project would probably be the Madvillain LP produced by Madlib on Stones Throw. 

E121F7E1-5FED-445F-8925-E1732DA4EB64.jpeg

96A452F4-BA41-4CAA-BEC1-0E94F8590B06.jpeg

Funny Doom should come up—I’m the same, these days, listening to a few albums on repeat for months at a time, and his Adult Swim-theme bit with Danger Mouse has been on the rotation pretty heavily recently

Top notch, through and through

Small world! Another big doom fan here. I always dug that dangermouse album and his mm..food Album. (I mean, an anagram of your stage name for album title?!, it’s also a concept album so 2 for 1?)

To make a straight-ish line style vice to another good concept album I’m throwing the band Why? onto the pile. Indie rock with kinda spoken word singing. The early albums (why is always the early stuff?!) are great!

Which leads to Cursives concept album the ugly organ. Post hardcore maybe? Achingly beautiful at times and really sludgy and ugly at times. 

2 hours ago, UkeNo said:

This has prompted me to dig out one of my favourite 12 inches. 

Its from the now defunct Money Studies - the in-house label from Turntable Lab in NY.

Great track. I used to have the Dead Bent 12" on Fondle Em which kind of sounds like a demo version.

So happy a thread like this exists now! Outside of denim my biggest passion in life is music. This year, I finally completed my vinyl setup and began collecting non-stop. I am a music student so I am on the search for as many guitar-based jazz albums as I can get. Here's a peak of some favourites. I have yet to acquire a hip-hop album but at the top of my list for that would have to be Hieroglyphics "3rd Eye Vision". It is one of those albums where there isn't a bad song (like MM...FOOD, IMO.)

IMG_3372.JPG

It seems MF Doom and denim go together. Another fan here- madvillain has been on heavy rotation on my turntable since it was released. I was an avid stonesthrow collector through the 2000s, along with other rap, funk, soul and reggae. 
Lately I have been listening a lot to Townes van zandt, Witch and assorted soul like syl Johnson 

I rotate around quite a bit... Spotify is my friend... checking back I’ve been listening to this lot lately...
  • Neil Young - Harvest / Tonight’s the Night / Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
  • Dylan - Street Legal
  • Joy Division - Closer
  • Andrew Weatherall - The Bullet Catchers Apprentice
  • Talib Kweli for hip hop fix
  • Mix Cloud is back on again in the gym via Graeme Park
Edited by MJF9

My most played albums lately 

lamb of god- self titled

killswitch engage- atonement 

Trapped under ice- heatwave

Charles Bradley-no time for dreaming 

Run the jewels- rtj4

Whitey Morgan- hard times and white lines 

Dori freeman- every single star 

18 hours ago, fre-co said:

It seems MF Doom and denim go together. Another fan here- madvillain has been on heavy rotation on my turntable since it was released. I was an avid stonesthrow collector through the 2000s, along with other rap, funk, soul and reggae. 
Lately I have been listening a lot to Townes van zandt, Witch and assorted soul like syl Johnson 

I’m with you here - Was into 2000’s Stones Throw as well. Feel like it took a hit when Egon left to set up Now Again -and Madlibs departure and founding of Rappcats, both labels I follow. 

Those, along with Warp and Sub Pop have my attention regularly. 

Enjoying this thread

Though not been through all new-to-me suggestions... First weapon drawn, Sadevillain, Witch have all gone down well... and Lamb of God at least made my boy sit up straight when it kicked in :)

The Nightmares on Wax back catalogue on Warp is all great - seen them live a handful of times and always good value

Sadly can’t contribute to the rap or electronic chit chat. But a quick peek at recent Spotify tells me I’ve been listening to:

Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown 

Enslaved - Eld

Revered Bizarre - II Crush the Insects 

Guy Clark - Old No1/Texas Cooking

Ashbury - Endless Skies

Lovely system @cottonskinblues

Will share silly looking band tees at a later date!

1 hour ago, oomslokop said:

@oomslokop
This is excellent Ooms. I’m reading the article now. 
Will pick up a copy soon hopefully. Congratulations on this. The fact that it’s received  a reissue is really something too. 

Literally put this DJ set on to listen to while browsing the forum and then stumbled across this thread. Give it a listen if you've already done the music nerd pantheon and found your way through with your love of music still in tact.