Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 1:37 PM, julian-wolf said:

Been revisiting old Avalanches and the like, this week

I've been scouring this thread and loving it! Seeing the serpents here made me so happy! I know they're still used in various band and folk traditions across Europe, but it's cool to think that they've been around since the late 16th century. (Though here they're holding it in an 18th-century way).

It's evident that there's a certain vibe in this thread, but I regularly rehearse and write about music in my jeans. So as my contribution, for any J.S. Bach fans, you should check out the music of his father's cousin, Johann Christoph Bach that I've been enjoying lately. J.S. is known to have performed his music in Leipzig and even there have been works of J.C. mistakenly attributed to him, (the Ich lasse dich nicht probably being the most famous loss of the J.S. Bach canon for J.C.). This is an aria/lament titled Ach, dass ich Wassers gnug hätte, and it is full of really cool musico-rhetorical devices described and codified by previous generations of German rhetoricians, I won't give the full lecture here, but think things like dramatic leaps, word painting embedded in the music like "Tag und nacht" (day and night), and suspended dissonance over the word "Sünde" (sin). Playing on period-accurate instruments (except the organ) within a non-equal temperament makes the tuning sound so good!

I've just been looking at these Brennan cd rippers.. seems like the answer for very little £££ for folks like me who've never fully transitioned to digital.. never used itunes or the like and have 1000's of cd's which i never listed to cos i don't have a drive in the macbook, it's got an internal amp, they do speakers too...

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I've just been looking at these Brennan cd rippers.. seems like the answer for very little £££ for folks like me who've never fully transitioned to digital.. never used itunes or the like and have 1000's of cd's which i never listed to cos i don't have a drive in the macbook, it's got an internal amp, they do speakers too...

why don't you get a good vintage cd player instead? I's amazing how good they sound. I've had a few of these sony ES serie (made in japan in the 90s) and I can say it's really well spent money.

6AACCC23-D305-47A1-826E-C62B503E6DFF.jpeg

Edited by pomata