Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

I don't mind the rise in terms of looks. It's fine if you don't tuck things in, which I don't most of the time. But now that the waist has got a little loose, when they slip down lots of material gets bunched up around the crotch, which is annoying. And for some reason I can't get a belt to keep jeans that high up on my waist.

Just chiming in on the discussion on fits - not cos I know anything :blink: but its interesting what people are thinking. @volvo240thebest that is a really nice easygoing look there. I think from those that have posted fit pics they look fine don't they.. I remember some early posts people looked great in them. Its funny, sometimes people post a pic and you think that looks pretty good - wish mine fitted more like that  - and then couple weeks later they say not working out - something about it is just off and not always apparent to others most of the time:unsure:  

Maybe a bit of an unfair question but @beautiful_FrEaK - you've probably got more experience of the variety of jeans than most to compare the TCB's with so its probably more clear to you - what's some of your favourite fitting jeans just for hanging out? 

Anyone else got real favourites that they've got? I find they change quite a lot over time  - as the jeans get older and hang differently (usually betterly)

Edited by Chris T

On 11/18/2020 at 9:48 AM, bartlebyyphonics said:

lockdown cave dwelling deskwarrior checking in also; might take about 10 years to get anything at this rate...

nothing to see here [from last week, no change this week either, don't worry]... [really like the cut and fabric tho...]

vx4aX2Qh.jpg

looks good as ever @bartlebyyphonics - but is that 4 jackets your wearing??:smile:

Very pleased to announce i have received my non-contest jeans. I was late for the contest, but proceeded with my order anyways. 

Today is day zero. My size 38 OW fits just nice, my usual size for other jeans is 36. The material is very soft. The non contest version is normal with green canvas for pocket fabric. The rise is super high, which ascends to my 45 year old pot belly, but stretches to slip underneath the belly by a little. 

I will need to send it for hemming. Will share pics here over time. Very pleased to join the gang, albeit as non contestant.

3E1BFECD-4EE8-4874-B79C-B2210CBC97EC.jpeg

20CD9AF1-7695-49E8-8C90-130D61C662F6.jpeg

544D70B1-081D-4784-B073-9B1463128C50.jpeg

62A89683-81B6-4327-932C-14746CFDBA36.jpeg

Edited by gnewpiy

3 hours ago, Chris T said:

Maybe a bit of an unfair question but @beautiful_FrEaK - you've probably got more experience of the variety of jeans than most to compare the TCB's with so its probably more clear to you - what's some of your favourite fitting jeans just for hanging out? 

For me there has to be the combination of looking good and feeling good and the jeans have to match my style.
I have to find that sweet spot in a pair to have a sleek and nice silhouette but without feeling constricted over the day. For me that is accomplished with Resolute 710, the new Denime 66XX Original Line and the 05 cut from Denimbridge (GBG001 and DB19/05). They are all on the slimmer site which I prefer but I can wear them all day without any issues. There are definitely pairs with more room and which are even more comfortable then but the fit doesn't always match my prefered aesthetic/outfit then.

So the TCB are comfortable but I don't "feel" the cut. The high rise doesn't stay up there (like @Mtvare noticed as well) and thus sagging more than I like and that "adding" to the inseam. 

Edit: it's a shame since the denim and attention to detail is so nice with these 40s jeans

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

@Chris T I would say my go tos are still plain old 501s. And not necessarily STF either. After a bit of wear they just become perfect for me.

I'm not entirely feeling the TCB cut either. Not that the jeans are bad or anything like that, but I don't quite get how they can feel tight in the waist and simultaneously have a 1/2 inch to spare and fall down without a belt. I'm still battling through in hopes they will eventually get more comfortable but at this point my hopes are dimming that they will ever be my favorite pair.

Thanks for the replies @justintk and @beautiful_FrEaK - yep I get what youre meaning re the TCB's. I feel a little of that too tho not as badly. It could well be less versatile with what to wear but I really like it and feels distinctive. And like the denim a lot. One of the extra appeals -  as many of you have said  - is I love the ethos of TCB - seems connected to the people into their jeans etc  and interested in them

Just too say im not meaning to take away from the WW2's themselves, just always curious on other jeans and peoples thoughts etc so used it as an excuse to ask...:happy:. And what makes peoples' favourites.

I almost bought the Resolute 710 BF at Trunk in London last year funnily enough but when I went down and in to the shop they didn't have any  - and at that point id vowed Never to buy more jeans without trying on:).. And I didn't do.. Well, - not until the TCB's. Most of my older  jeans are slimmer though and I've always wanted to get bigger so WW2's more along that line... 

The TCB contest has actually got me more back into jeans interest and going back and trying on my old pairs...

risk of rambling now......

Edited by Chris T

7 hours ago, Chris T said:

looks good as ever @bartlebyyphonics - but is that 4 jackets your wearing??:smile:

well

yes...

I have long become besotted with composite jacket ideas and practice

as I have become disenfranchised with shirt-jumper-jacket-coat modulations

such is my entanglement with ametora/amerikaji/whatever/etc... [which allows a royal road / motorway away from the merino v neck]

the set-up there is t-shirt, shirt thickness chore, 10-oz denim chore, 12-oz duck&shearling vest, 12oz-ish cheap-ass military surplus...

have spent a little time staring at military coat liners, shall share in due time...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

well it seems to work alright @bartlebyyphonics :smile:.  Like you say there's more consideration to it to make it look good , tho appears more random..  
WW2's go well with it too.. Seen some of your other pics where you've possibly a larger and littler jacket nice looks.. its about how bigger but shorter jackets actually hang somehow.... Chore coats good - and the cheap surplus great no?
I also often wear a couple jackets ( but not in a stylish way tho ) - its a nice way to wear more of the stuff you like :happy:. You have to take the odd critical/quizzical looks alright.. (And 2 pairs of jeans in the cold too..(ahem....)
Looking forward to enjoying everyones contest stuff and how the TCB's go
Edited by Chris T

7 hours ago, UkeNo said:

@gnewpiy - I’m not sure this is a buy-the-pair-and-just-join-in type of situation. 

I see you have the S40’s jeans but are you aware that there was a competition list and registration deadline? 
What I’m getting at is, are you officially on the list, or just hoping to tag along? 

@UkeNo my s40 jeans is non-contest version, hence i am not a participant in the contest. For the avoidance of doubt, it means i will not have any chance of winning anything. 

43 minutes ago, gnewpiy said:

@UkeNo my s40 jeans is non-contest version, hence i am not a participant in the contest. For the avoidance of doubt, it means i will not have any chance of winning anything. 

I don't think many of us are "in it to win it" — it's just nice to do something community-spirited, particularly at this turd-like time in history... having said that, these are the first raw jeans I've purchased at retail in 15 years so I wouldn't mind scoring another pair... by the end, I'll be so accustomed to the high rise that I'll resemble a half-melted ice cream cone... nothing else will do...

44 minutes ago, mondo said:

by the end, I'll be so accustomed to the high rise that I'll resemble a half-melted ice cream cone... nothing else will do...

The look to which we all aspire, surely

3 hours ago, aho said:

Comfort is king! If these didn't work out for you @beautiful_FrEaK then no harm, no foul. While I personally prefer a mid rise (OA02 is PERFECT for me), I do prefer upsized loose fits sagged a bit lower just on the hips, which these contest jeans lend themselves to.

I usually stay away from full repros, specifically cuz of the rise length.

My plan was to wear them high with a belt,  initially.   Defer wash til I establish permanent whisker & comb patterns.  But, ultimately,  I’d be wearing them slightly pulled down, 90’s style ... may re-hem if inseam doesn’t shrink enough post wash.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Sorry so late to post. Been busy AF. I wanted to comment on the fit, as I see it’s being talked about. It is def frumpy, that’s how I define it, but that’s kind of the point, no? Anti-fit. I find it adds to the whole piece.

I get what b_F and others are saying about the high rise (and am sorry the jeans didn't work out for him), but have to admit I'm enjoying the high rise and tendency for the jeans to sag down.  The fit is definitely old school and reminiscent of pants which are the antithesis of crotch grabbers.

The denim itself is also very nice (e.g. weight, feel, color) and it's been fun to get to know TCB better -- Ryo's enthusiasm for the brand is infectious, if not viral ;-)

Seems like I'm the minority but loving the high rise and couldn't be happier about it. I think it fits perfectly with jackets like the MF ranch blouse etc (that are short enough). Also I can relate to what was said at the top of this page about how in the beginning of the contest(and still) the fit pics from everyone looked crazy good. I'm sorry for the folks that couldn't make the fit work for them.

These are definitely my most comfortable jeans, the full rise with the wide but not 20s wide fit just hits the spot for me.

Also @mzasch that progress is crazy in such a short period of time! nice! would be interesting to know what you do for a living if you don't mind sharing.

41 minutes ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Seems like I'm the minority but loving the high rise and couldn't be happier about it. I think it fits perfectly with jackets like the MF ranch blouse etc (that are short enough). Also I can relate to what was said at the top of this page about how in the beginning of the contest(and still) the fit pics from everyone looked crazy good. I'm sorry for the folks that couldn't make the fit work for them.

These are definitely my most comfortable jeans, the full rise with the wide but not 20s wide fit just hits the spot for me.

Also @mzasch that progress is crazy in such a short period of time! nice! would be interesting to know what you do for a living if you don't mind sharing.

Yeah man, thanks. I own a plumbing company, and I’m still in a truck working. So my lies tend to break pretty fast.