Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

12 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

what size do you wear on 50s?

33 raw on 50s

34 OW on 20s

By the look of people's measurements here I need a 34 OW in the s40s. For raw 34 would still be too small; 36 would be ok ( and probably a truer 40s fit) with a belt.

Ryo said to me the waist will stretch by 3-5 cm. It seems to be true according to your feedbacks on big size, but will it be the same with smaller size ? I mean, if there is less fabric, will it stretch the same ? I think talking with percentage is more accurate 

3 minutes ago, Martin13 said:

Ryo said to me the waist will stretch by 3-5 cm. It seems to be true according to your feedbacks on big size, but will it be the same with smaller size ? I mean, if there is less fabric, will it stretch the same ? I think talking with percentage is more accurate 

Probably true, although in real life there may be more variation between pairs & between washing routines than inaccuracies arising from this

Also you have to factor in how much belly someone is trying to squeeze in, and how determined they are to squeeze it in. Based on this I am expecting about 25cm stretch from a 32

1 minute ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

???

The 34 OW should be the same as a raw 34, just washed by TCB. They don't make different patterns for raw and washed pairs.

Right. 

But if you look at the measurements people are putting up, it doesn't look as if it's worked out that way.

1 minute ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The 34 OW should be the same as a raw 34, just washed by TCB. They don't make different patterns for raw and washed pairs.

May be that the raw people on here are washing more strongly than TCB? There's been a lot of talk of dryers and hot soaks.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:38 PM, indigo_junkie said:

So Ryo's reply to lefty said a OW size 33 measures 32.28in. I can work with that. 

My memorable sizing screw-up for comps was the Warehouse x BiG 660. Purchased a size way too big based on the thigh measurement (BiG 'style' measuring isn't the common way). Couldn't make the waist work, even with a belt. Tried to have the waistband shortened by this 'denim guru' in Manly (big mistake) and ended up selling that Frankenstein pair for $50. I'm usually gunshy about sizing up because of that, and I usually size down. 

That being said, I actually sized up on this pair and the jacket. If it's a little smaller than the measurements, it might work out, but we'll see.

@beautiful_FrEaK

Here we go, this is what I had in mind. According to this, Ryo says the 33 OW measures 32.28cm. Presumably he measured it in cm and got 82 (=exactly 32.28") which is exactly the measurement I got for the 33 raw.

If that is accurate for the 33 OW then 34 OW should work for me.

Granted that reasoning is dependent on its being true that the 33 raw and OW measure the same in the waist, which is odd to the say the least, for the reason you give.

Just got mine. 31 post wash measures a not generous 31 pre wash. There does seem to be room in the thighs and seat so I should be able to work with this, I figure they'll be an inch smaller in the waist than my LVC. Time to get out the ply and jigsaw. My pocket bags are lovely, olive green and hickory stripe.
My number seems to have changed from  #14 to #125, sadly.

Gone back to ancient habits, warm soak. Given London's weather, who knows when they will be dry.

Edited by Paul T

43 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Mine just in - 33 Raw measures 33 pulled tight. Thighs a bit trim too.

I can get them on but I feel these are a bit undersized to what was documented ... not entirely convinced about the sizing issue HOWEVER the denim is lovely, I think this will show very very nicely with a bit of wear

B3C3FF57-434D-4535-9E41-CE54B5FD8A0D.jpeg

I just checked the size chart from page one. A size 33 Raw was targeted to be 88.9 cm or 35 inches. A two inch discrepancy is out of bounds. 
I would like to see TCB get involved here on this SUFU thread to help people understand the discrepancy. Maybe Ryo could make a statement and give options to those whose pants are too small?

6 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

You all who sized up were smart. I might be able to pass them onto my lady for her to wear for me. Depending on how much they shrink, they may work for her so that would be a nice turn of events.

I could have gone for a 35 but for some reason that not a typical size and wanted some thing loose.

I wonder how the where worn in the war?

25 minutes ago, H...crimper said:

I could have gone for a 35 but for some reason that not a typical size and wanted some thing loose.

I wonder how the where worn in the war?

They were worn very trim - the war effort meant that waste (and so anything voluminous) met with disapproval ...

9 minutes ago, YossarianRaw said:

Anyone here with an OW order gotten their shipping notice yet?

I'm starting to think I won't have my pair by sep 1st with the way Danish customs usually operate.

Nope, eagerly waiting for it as well. I hope the slightly slimmer than expected waist will work with the high rise, but I'll see once they arrive.

You could also use these if the waist doesn't work for you https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Elastic-Waistband-Expander-Collars/dp/B085VTWG3M/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=waistband+expander&qid=1598282025&sr=8-7

I'm sure this will be a great contest and looking forward to watching it in progress

Edited by jewellben
typo

27 minutes ago, Frost said:

Nope, eagerly waiting for it as well. I hope the slightly slimmer than expected waist will work with the high rise, but I'll see once they arrive.

Yeah, me neither, hoping I get a shipping notice this week. All of this discussion about the sizing being off is kind of illuminating for me, I thought jeans that didn't really fit right were part of the deal. Some of my best fitting pairs started out super uncomfortable, but they became comfortable after wearing and soaking in sweat and blood. Maybe I've been buying the wrong brands!

33 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

they forgot to send me the Caturday t-shirt I ordered along... :(

Thanks for this! Just took this opportunity to email Ryo and confirm that my No Shampoo Club t-shirt would be included with the jeans: one of the unforseen benefits of ordering pre-washed

Sorry to hear about your missing shirt—hopefully they'll sort you out quickly once all the current hubbub's died down some

On the bright side, it seems like your jeans might be the closest, so far, to the posted size charts, a glimmer of hope for those of us still awaiting our tracking info

[and to echo @Duke Mantee ... war time fits were trim due to adherence to rationing, hence the provocation of the zoot suit and its volumetric embrace of waste, hence distancing wearer from the ascetic aesthetic of the war spirt, hence zoot suit riots - us troops hitting out on those who refused patriotic tailoring sacrifices, often who also were generally not whitebread good ol' boys ... ] 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

#107 checking in.  Size 34 raw, measuring 44.5 cm or 89 cm = 35" when the waistband is aligned. 

I like those pocket bags. This whole time I didn't realise you were getting raw instead of OW!

13 minutes ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

[and to echo @Duke Mantee ... war time fits were trim due to adherence to rationing, hence the provocation of the zoot suit and its volumetric embrace of waste, hence distancing wearer from the ascetic aesthetic of the war spirt, hence zoot suit riots - us troops hitting out on those who refused patriotic tailoring sacrifices, often who also were generally not whitebread good ol' boys ... ] 

Thankfully someone’s picked up on my humour ... I was starting to worry

38 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Thanks for this! Just took this opportunity to email Ryo and confirm that my No Shampoo Club t-shirt would be included with the jeans: one of the unforseen benefits of ordering pre-washed

Sorry to hear about your missing shirt—hopefully they'll sort you out quickly once all the current hubbub's died down some

On the bright side, it seems like your jeans might be the closest, so far, to the posted size charts, a glimmer of hope for those of us still awaiting our tracking info

@julian-wolf I really wanted to get the No Shampoo Club t-shirt but my spouse barely tolerates the $$$ I spend on fancy pants and I did not want to get into a discussion about $60 T-Shirts. Though in retrospect I maybe could have gotten them both and rolled the t-shirt price into that of the jeans.

On 8/22/2020 at 5:02 AM, ThatDudeOrion said:

So I just received my contest tux, and i tried on my Jeans in size 31 rigid, and they felt snug...checked the waist measurement and it’s between 15 and 15.5 inches depending on whether you measure with the waistband dipped or doubled... in any event, much smaller than I recall the chart saying the rigid 31 would measure... I’m having some very mixed feelings right now.

Have you soaked/washed yours yet? If so any measurements would be greatly appreciated. Don't have my pair here with me rn sadly..