Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

Here's a chart that compares the chart from page one of this thread (left column) to the measurements of my raw size 36 (right column).  I'm happy with the jeans, since I'm probably a natural 35.  But it's true that they're smaller in the waist, thigh, and leg opening than the chart would indicate.  I hope there are some good fits out there, but can see that some will end up with jeans that are smaller than expected.  Let's hope for minimal shrinkage, lots of stretch, an active trade market, and good relations with TCB in ensuring that everyone is ultimately happy.

Chart       Actual

image.png.98ca8199ae1b37ddd8aacd88fcf5fb09.png

Hello everyone it's 2.30 am this side of the pond and I've been working all day, I am just back home now. I'm very sorry to hear not everybody is happy. I'll be mad busy until the 28th when my festival will finish the 2020 edition.

the mix of a new fabric and charts on pattern is creating some troubles but I also see that the fabric has more give than expected too. I suggest that at least you start to complain once you've either received your pair or you wore it enough to test drive the stretch.

Relax, enjoy your life and remember these are a pair of jeans after all, not your robbed home, your new faulty car or your hacked bank account, for goodness sake.

Good night beautiful people!

3 minutes ago, lefty said:

Ryo just got back to me.

The 33 one wash measures 41cm across or 32.28”

He offered to cancel my order and issue a refund if that size wouldn’t work for me. I took him up on it.

390D6DC8-0A05-4F6B-A34F-F261A97B2D74.jpeg.e1f4cae2f9d2004464712e6c69ba4fcb.jpeg

It'll easily stretch to 33. His pair in a 34 stretched within two days from 41 to 43 cm.

Anyway whatever makes you happy makes me happy too.

9 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

Anyway whatever makes you happy makes me happy too.

I appreciate that. I just don’t want to rely on one person’s experience to determine how the sizing runs for the entire group. Hopefully, everyone’s order will work for them and I’ll be envious of those who stuck with it. 

Now that I have some extra money for denim, about those Dawson’s I’ve been eyeing...

Waist stretching is no problem. I say with confidence that any denim will stretch back to raw waist  measurements after a few days of wear- but thighs do not. I get that they’re just jeans, but they aren’t free either. Regardless of whether my pair fits, I’ll still support TCB. I just got their denim dude ranch shirt a few days ago, and not only were the measurements that I took the same as that were online, it’s also a badass shirt. I have a pair of their overalls too, and I love them. 

I just got a reply. They based the size chart off of a size 34, not sure if that’s a single pair or what. So basically any other size is an estimate.  I have to ship them back for a refund. Ugh. I’ll likely soak, measure, see how off they are and make due or sell.  

@RunMountainDrew it’s worth a shot just to see what you’re getting into. 

i completely agree with @Dan_F and volvo. these jeans will stretch to tag size. i had to pull my waistband while wet and easily stretched them to tag size even though they were a half inch smaller in the waist when raw than the tag size. 

Edited by roomtemplacroix

I got mine in this morning and just pulled them out of the dryer - didn't see everyone was having trouble with measurements until a second ago, lol. So here are mine for size 30 raw post-hot wash and tumble dry:

Waist 14.5"

Front rise 13.25"

Thigh 10.75"

Knee 9"

Hem 8.5"

Inseam (hemmed at 31") 29"

Seems pretty manageable to me! I'm sorry to hear everyone has been having more significant problems with shrinkage but from what I can tell it doesn't seem these shrink a whole lot - at least judging by only 2" loss in the inseam.

Cold soaked mine in a tub with average agitation and they lost 2” in the waist.  I have a waist stretcher, so we will see how that plays out but I wasn’t planning on having to battle the waist band ever time I washed them. That’s why I’m irritated. I know I can fuck with a waist band and get it to stretch. It’s just the size charts showed that wouldn’t be necessary. I don’t like having to do that lol. 

Im in the same boat gnomes but oh well. 
If I can make them work I’ll deal with a few hours of struggle after each wash. 
I really do like the cut and details. 
or force me to lose those 10lbs I’ve been putting off. 
hoping my one wash jeans work out 

So I just received my contest tux, and i tried on my Jeans in size 31 rigid, and they felt snug...checked the waist measurement and it’s between 15 and 15.5 inches depending on whether you measure with the waistband dipped or doubled... in any event, much smaller than I recall the chart saying the rigid 31 would measure... I’m having some very mixed feelings right now.

I'm exhited/nervous of getting my OW jeans after reading these last few pages.

Exhited to receive my pair and nervous of them fitting or not.

I'm hoping that's not the case with the jacket, but it seems no one is really having troubles with the jacket 

right?

8 hours ago, CSL said:

Mine will be here this evening. Sounds like from what everyone is saying the raw is measuring at tag size rather than the 2 inches bigger that their size chart indicated for size 36. Looks like this pair might have to stay 'washless'....

Exactly what I’m experiencing. 
just measured my tagged size 33 in the waist only due to not much time. If anyone wants more measurements I’ll put them up ASAP. 

Waist: 41,5cm / 16.33” (BiG style)

now unless my math is really bad that translates to 32.7” on a raw size 33...

I reached out to Ryo on IG. 

8 hours ago, BrownMetallic said:

For those who already got their pairs,  I suggest a swapmeet ... maybe, using Volvo’s contestant list,  to post your [actual] WxL measurements.  This way peeps knows who they need to pm.
It’s like a trickledown effect ... the bigger sizes down to smaller, so the biggest either sell or get replaced if there were extra pieces left ... just a thought.

This seems like an excellent idea! If anyone has a 34 or 35 that’s not working for them, hit me up! 

Been watching the last few pages...

That's what I don’t like about big contests - big drama.

People that can’t accept uncertainty or can’t afford to make mistakes should refrain from participating in contests of new cuts & denims!

I understand there’s money involved, but if money’s tight don’t throw it at something that has not been done before - chances are no matter how much you try to outsmart a proposed size chart you’ll end up only fooling yourself...

Good thing is most people will take it as a “controlled” gamble and try to make it work.

Mine hasn’t arrived, yet - they made it from Paris to Cologne overnight.

Edited by Foxy2

I don’t know about that Foxy. I think we all expect and can manage variances. But this is wrong size straight up. Since when was shrink to tag size and shrink from tag size the same thing? Regardless of new cut new denim etc.,  sort it out prior to selling a product. 

I don’t want to bring down the thread with negativity but this isn’t 2010 anymore and quirky sizing issues are not cute. 

My pair won’t work for me and I’m not willing to fight a pair of jeans that are simply not the size they were supposed to be. I’m getting a refund, minus the $40 it will take to return them. I’m out. 

My tux arrived yesterday. 

Weirdly in the opposite camp. 

My 20s contest jeans are perfect. I sized down in the ww2's as I've lost a bit of weight and my same tagged 60s are far too big.

I was very nervous as I thought I may have gone a size too small, but mine are large, verging on clown pants. I also didn't hem as my 20s continued to shrink after several washes.

i can happily lose at least 2" in the waist and at least 5" in the hem (which is how my 20s shrank, tbh)

dont get your hopes up though lads, as they're 38w

my jacket is a perfect fit imho after OW but snugger than I expected for a 44

the denim is tremendous 

i got the much discussed tiger stripe and ticking fabric pockets and am pretty happy.

my only regret will be if they really only shrink 2" on the inseam....I should have had a hem done by tcb.

photos to follow.

Edited by Topgearskin

I agree, big contests do bring big drama, but I’m not a fan of groupthink.

It’s not cynicism or negativity that drives me to expect an item to be as described (within reasonable tolerances), I don’t want to be told ‘but it will stretch’, or ‘this is an experiment’ or ‘it’s only money’ or some such. I don’t lack experience in this arena.

My FW 1922 have just arrived in store - measurements are bang on, and this is a new cut. I’ll put them on and they’ll fit, no issues, adjustments or compromises.

10 minutes ago, CSL said:

I feel bad for those among us who can't make the fit work. For me 'a bit loose' or 'a bit tight' is generally acceptable. 

Anyhow, here's what mine look like in the unwashed state. 

A wee bit loose or tight is never an issue Carl - what’s your plan with these? I’m assuming you hadn’t got them pre-hemmed?

5 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

A wee bit loose or tight is never an issue Carl - what’s your plan with these? I’m assuming you hadn’t got them pre-hemmed?

Duke, I'll probably wear them as is for a short while & then do a bath soak or maybe a dip in the ocean. I wanted the leg long as possible. I like to do three flips on the cuffs if possible.

Just now, CSL said:

Duke, I'll probably wear them as is for a short while & then do a bath soak or maybe a dip in the ocean. I wanted the leg long as possible. I like to do three flips on the cuffs if possible.

Bath soak was my plan too Carl - our ‘ocean’ is the North Sea and it’s not the jeans I’d worry about shrinking in that temperature :blush2:

I do recall some of your other brilliant fit pics and your cuffing style ... that being the reason I asked

3 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Bath soak was my plan too Carl - our ‘ocean’ is the North Sea and it’s not the jeans I’d worry about shrinking in that temperature :blush2:

I do recall some of your other brilliant fit pics and your cuffing style ... that being the reason I asked

Haha! Right. I wouldn't imagine there are many comfortable swimming opportunities on the Scottish coast in late summer. I lived by the mild seas of the UK south coast & the water was never particularly warm there. Thanks for the compliment btw!