Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

6 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

so I need your opinions peeps
Tcb is branching on t shirt making now, as you may have seen.
Tees are not made in Tcb factory, they're made in Japan but Sure Manufacturing, a factory owned by a friend of Hajime in the prefecture of Gifu, specialized in t shirts and bags.

Ryo wrote me this, after I enquired to buy the Caturday tee:

Made of 100% cotton, 30/2 combed yarns used.
Woven, keeping a high tension on the fabric by sinker looping machines.
What we want for a T is that it'll look best after 100 times of washing. Stretched and shrunk by wash and wear, this T reaches its perfection after ample amounts of wear like unsanforized denim.
The sewing is all done with cotton threads. The collar is finished by Union Special and the sleeves and the waist are finished with the overlocking stitch like the 70's~80's Hanes.
The print is done mostly by pigments so it'll gradually fade and show you the color like the faded red selvedge I.D.

They're [supposedly] very nicely made, high quality, loopwheeled, made to look better with wear. They're not cheap either. approx cost 55 usd.
These were initially made in very small quantities only for JP market, but they are looking to sort out international shipping too, since there's been some request.
They have two designs out, and they are perhaps considering (after I suggested that) to make a memorial TCB WW2 contest tee. This could have the patch design on it.
If any of you guys is interested we will try to see a t shirt computer render design and see how the patch would look on a tee. Kinda difficult to imagine.
I am for sure getting the Caturday one. Best tee for a cat daddy.
Just wanted to see if it's worth bothering to try and see a render or not.
Back in the 20s contest I remember we talked about a tee, but then the interest kinda dissipated with time.

Definitely up for a ww2 patch Tshirt I’ll be all over it 

If everyone buys the same jeans and 

47 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

wear ‘em as u please

then I’d still call that a contest because you can make comparisons. Then again I’ve not been here since the dawn of Sufu nor do I know the rules for the competition so I mean no upset - I fully accept everyone will have their own approach and that’s ok, it just doesn’t square with my mindset that the fastidiousness of detailing to make the product is then given the ‘works’ to make them winners ... it’s kinda like saying Lance Armstrong is still the best Tour cyclist ever.

@Duke Mantee Oh, no! I’m not upset at all.  Sorry, if it came out that way.  I’m just saying, since [this] is global in scope,  peeps will have varying perspectives, beliefs, & strategies/ways ... w/c makes the contest even more competitive & interesting.

What I was driving at, is that bottom line it’s the judges POV ... they get the last say on the fadez.

7 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

@Duke Mantee Oh, no! I’m not upset at all.  Sorry, if it came out that way.  I’m just saying, since [this] is global in scope,  peeps will have varying perspectives, beliefs, & strategies/ways ... w/c makes the contest even more competitive & interesting.

What I was driving at, is that bottom line it’s the judges POV ... they get the last say on the fadez.

Apologies are never necessary with me ... but everything else - agreed

3 hours ago, roomtemplacroix said:

if starch can bring me combs like this i’d be interested :)

3FE51B56-9A05-4855-9CEA-69F669AABC66.jpeg

I've had a lot of jeans and never have the back of the pants looked like that naturally -- did the wearer slide down a slide over and over with his or her legs straight out in front?

I too am I’m the Dad fades mode. 
Two kids keep me busy crawling around and playing in the garden. 
The amount of food and other stains also means I wash every 1-2 weeks and gasp! I toss in the dryer! 
vintage fades are my favorite so I treat them how they did in the past. Just wear em and wash and dry often. 
Fades are just a fun bonus in my opinion 

17 minutes ago, wmb said:

I've had a lot of jeans and never have the back of the pants looked like that naturally -- did the wearer slide down a slide over and over with his or her legs straight out in front?

Squats. Nice deep squats. Good for fades and your tush. 

But I’d take nice naturally worn jeans over these any day of the week. 

2 hours ago, BrownMetallic said:

I know that sounds like philosophical/corny bullshit, but for me,  the “ritual” is the foreplay ... it’s what has kept me enthused through the years. 

it didn't sound at all like bullshit! I am all for diversity and I have always looked with interest at your approach actually.

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

So what we’re after is authentic jeans with bogus fades?

for the sake of variety, why not. After all is the wearer that decides how to wear his/her jeans. I am deffo more into keeping it nice and simple and not overthink it, and think that the frequent wash it's the most accurate way to wear in jeans....

by the way, as we speak of this, it comes to my mind that @Paul T never ever disclosed information on his fading methods...

15 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

it didn't sound at all like bullshit! I am all for diversity and I have always looked with interest at your approach actually.

for the sake of variety, why not. After all is the wearer that decides how to wear his/her jeans. I am deffo more into keeping it nice and simple and not overthink it, and think that the frequent wash it's the most accurate way to wear in jeans....

by the way, as we speak of this, it comes to my mind that @Paul T never ever disclosed information on his fading methods...

Haha!

All my jeans end up looking the same. I tend to hold off for four-five months for the first wash. Not because I think the eventual fade will be better but because I like the look and crispness of new jeans. That's it. Used to wash with Dr Bonner but now I use regular non bio, 30 degrees. Usually I wash them right way round as I like marbling. Spin and line dry. I would never, ever use a dryer as those fuckers kill the planet.

I've seen all the folks trying complicated stuff and that's fine. Do you remember all the bollocks with people using vinegar and salt on their jeans? I'm surprised by the Japanese approach with starch, as a new thing, because I like my jeans to fade slowly. Starch can be useufl as as dirt screen though - that's what cowboys used to do. 

I love TCB to bits but honestly, in my ideal world they would have denim that fades just a bit slower.

tl;dr: I'm old and not in a hurry, I have a Japanese wisteria and it took that fucker NINE YEARS to flower.

Edited by Paul T

2 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm surprised to hear that folks actually have fading methods, i just wear the damn things and que sera sera.. i find that good fades often come from giving less of a fuck :D

I think your fades are pretty strong proof of how well not having any special method works.

I'm surprised people are still talking about using any special method at all during this era of vintage fade popularity. Do whatever you want of course, but I am surprised.

14 minutes ago, unders said:

Squats. Nice deep squats. Good for fades and your tush. 

But I’d take nice naturally worn jeans over these any day of the week. 

34 minutes ago, wmb said:

New [random] creasing on top of old ... I’m thinking, they were worn raw, washed/soak & starched, then wore again ... prolly repeat a few times. Does not seem they were tumble dried, as there are no sign of vertical creasing.

I think as long as you have a decent lifestyle and don’t just drive to work, sit at work, drive home, sit at home then a nice looking pair of jeans will eventually come your way.

Some photos of olde worlde miner jeans have the vintage high contrast look (different to just high contrast) but of course nobody’s doing that anymore. I wonder whether that’s what the starchy glue liquid stuff is trying to emulate. 

Edited by unders

^ Not so sure about that—looser fitting jeans, when kept starchy, often seem to crease like that when crouching / kneeling / sitting—remember Uncle Karl's jeans from the '20s contest? Didn't they fade similarly?

10 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I think your fades are pretty strong proof of how well not having any special method works.

I'm surprised people are still talking about using any special method at all during this era of vintage fade popularity. Do whatever you want of course, but I am surprised.

Takes me five years, at least, to get mine primed:laugh2: ... my contest pairs “bloom” years after the contest ended.

In that breath, peeps who want to be competitive do what they do, due to time constraints ... now,  a 5-yr competition, most peeps would be in a slow boat.

Just now, BrownMetallic said:

Takes me five years, at least, to get mine primed:laugh2: ... my contest pairs “bloom” years after the contest ended.

In that breath, peeps who want to be competitive do what they do, due to time constraints ... now,  a 5-yr competition, most peeps would be in a slow boat.

Gotcha. I can understand that even if I don't subscribe to that mindset myself. My jeans take forever to fade too because of work and the fact that I like wearing chinos and trousers a lot too. I still just let it happen naturally. My CSF 37's definitely do not look like they have been my main jeans for almost 3 years by now, but I'm OK with that.

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

I do admire the way some jeans are developed, it’s just that dichotomy of super accurate jeans and super inaccurate treatments - but variety really is the spice of life

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm surprised to hear that folks actually have fading methods, i just wear the damn things and que sera sera.. i find that good fades often come from giving less of a fuck :D

Just what I said really ... same goes for any other article of clothing. I have curry stains, baby stains, adult stains :unsure2: and all sorts of uncontrolled wear and tear and I couldn’t give a flying fek - but I’ve never used my gear for science experiments (however it’s quite handy to see others do that so I can learn at their expense :tongue:)

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

I remember at the time wondering if it was actually real or just some sick joke.
Wonder if that guy is still alive and kickin'...

Probably. And still probably walking around in those jeans he was so reluctant to wash.