Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

@Graytrain I’ve been wanting to achieve  a traintrack corrugation like that.  Reminiscent of the old 501’s I had long long time ago.

The only thing is that, from experience,  to achieve that degree of traintrack puckering & contrast,  u need a frequent machine wash & dry @hi-heat.  So, downside is,  u give up the combs, fuck up the leather patch ... & consequently, shorten the lifespan of the jeans due to stitch breakage.

Edited by BrownMetallic

20 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

@Graytrain I’ve been wanting to achieve  a traintrack corrugation like that.  Reminiscent of the old 501’s I had long long time ago.

The only thing is that, from experience,  to achieve that degree of traintrack puckering & contrast,  u need a frequent machine wash & dry @hi-heat.  So, downside is,  u give up the combs, fuck up the leather patch ... & consequently, shorten the lifespan of the jeans due to stitch breakage.

Train tracks are life. I wash and dry my current wear every two weeks or so. But not a comb in sight. 

20200702_072717.jpg

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, volvo240thebest said:

Participants list

1. volvo240thebest (Italy)
  2. Topgearskin (England UK)
  3. Julian Wolf (USA)
  4. Tigerstrom (Sweden)
  5. Kylito (USA)
  6. Lazerr (USA)
  7. Broark (USA)
  8. Graytrain (USA)
  9. Ar Thor (Denmark)
  10. NycSurger (USA)
  11. Darren Barbera/mindfulbiscuit  (England UK)
  12. bartlebyyphonics (England UK)
  13. Brownmetallic (USA/Philippines)
  14. PaulT (England UK)
  15. Hopethisoneisnttaken (Israel)
  16. Mtvare (england UK)
  17. tjandaputra (Sweden/Netherlands)
  18. Jared Lee (USA)
  19. Maharu (Sweden)
  20. Roomtemplacroix (USA)
  21. Corporalclegg (USA)
  22. Thanks_M8 (Germany)
  23. Erockisalive (USA)
  24. Shredwin_206 (USA)
  25. Aho (USA)
  26. Momokun (Australia)
  27. Cottonskinblues (Canada)
  28. Erk (USA)
  29. Least Weasel (USA)
  30. Andrew Rose (USA)
  31. Unders (England UK)
  32. DoitsuJin (USA)
  33. Uncle Karl (Japan)
  34. Frost (Germany)
  35. Slab (Belgium)
  36. Nayuta and her cat (Japan)
  37. Justintk (USA)
  38. Yot (Indonesia)
  39. moimanuh (India)
  40. Mariano Vittori (Switzerland/Italy)
  41. RunMountainDrew (USA)
  42. Illcutz (England UK)
  43. Facini (Denmark)
  44. garden gnomes in space (USA/Italy :D)
  45. srudy (USA)
  46. UkeNo (UK)
  47. MrCknNuggets (Japan/Canada)
  48. kameisenpai (Japan)
  49. Hermit (USA)
  50. JDelage (France/USA)
  51. Collin (Switzerland)
  52. Spiraltoy (Sweden)
  53. irual (Finland)
  54. Duke Mantee (Scotland)
  55. YossarianRaw (Denmark)
  56. plattertough (USA)
  57. discwork (USA)
  58. longshanks (USA)
  59. Lori13 (USA)
  60. jigsaw (Indonesia)
  61. mandel9000 (Norway)
  62. yabyoshi (Japan)
  63. lefty (USA)
  64.  iad2020 (Indonesia/USA)
  65. olmecasteve (Mexico/USA)
  66. Elmer.Richard (Philippines)
  67. BionicEye (Netherlands)
  68. RemsB (Belgium)
  69. JohnM (USA)
  70. Esakafurusan (France)
  71. Mrs MJF9 (England UK)
  72. Qube (Belgium)
  73. Bowler (Canada)
  74. Strat (England UK)
  75. MilesTheGreat aka JDelage Jr (France/USA)
  76. Mondo (Australia)
  77. Christ T (Scotland)
  78. not too tight (USA)
  79. buler (USA)
  80. Daf123 (Indonesia)
  81. Dan_F (USA)
  82. dudewuttheheck (USA)
  83. urbancitizen (Switzerland)
  84. Claes (Sweden)
  85. wmb (USA)
  86. Foxy2 (Scotland/Germany)
  87. LazyS (USA)
  88. CSL (USA)
  89. tpun (Hong Kong)
  90. adastrus (USA)
  91. Sattyz (Indonesia)
  92. Eggplant (Hong Kong)
  93. ThatDudeOrion (USA)
  94.  tongtommy (Netherlands/Indonesia)
  95. 81611 (USA)
  96. Jurassic (UK)
  97. breakingfad (USA)
  98. djungelorm (USA)
  99. istewi (USA)
  100. Martin13 (France)
  101. Frs (Indonesia)
  102. theguywhoknewthatguy (USA)
  103. diggers (Indonesia)
  104. SugarCane (USA/France)
  105. Capsicum Fried Meat (China)
  106. propellerbeanie (Australia)
  107. beautiful FrEaK (Germany)
  108. el padre (UK)
  109. JRendon02 (USA)
  110. Chicote (USA)
  111. indigo_junkie (Australia)
  112. crocodino (Indonesia)
  113. olerth (Norway)
  114. vpgosnell (USA)
  115. dau (Russia)
  116. ocellarismax (France)
  117. Toegun (UK)
  118. Slowdownarthur (UK)
  119. FurnitureMaker (USA)
  120. Farood (France)
  121. Boras (France)
  122. H...crimper (UK)
  123. Mustacchio (Italy)
  124. Tiro (Belgium)
  125. JohnnyD (UK)
  126. 7890 (Hong Kong)

[to be completed]

@7890 welcome aboard! you're in the list with #126

giphy.gif

Edited by volvo240thebest

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

so that dude is a believer of laundromats. that's another very Japanese thing, many denimheads in Japan go to wash the jeans in laundromats instead of washing at home.

ha ha I bet they do, 

if they're dumping a ton of starch  into the machine:laugh2:

26 minutes ago, Graytrain said:

Train tracks are life. I wash and dry my current wear every two weeks or so. But not a comb in sight. 

20200702_072717.jpg

That’s why I work on the honeycombs first, when they’re stiff & crisp ... periodic soaks, & forego washing for about 2mos effective wear.

I find it harder to form a decent set of combs once u start washing frequently. As for the tracks ... if u wash, they will come.

Edited by BrownMetallic

28 minutes ago, wmb said:

"honeycombs" directly on the back of the knee area don't happen naturally in my opinion. They have always looked artificial to me

IMO, combs form naturally depending on wear habits & wash frequency.  But, it can be taste-driven.   If u personally prefer a decent set [like I do], then yes,  it needs a bit of extra effort ... if that’s what u mean.  

1st couple of months, I spray water on it to temper the denim & reactivate the residual starch.  I don’t know if there’s factual basis to it, but that’s my ritual ... “fluffing” my combs.

Edited by BrownMetallic

I suspect that honeycomb are also influenced by the jean's cut. I.e., slimmer, tighter cuts will be more prone to combs than looser cuts. (This is how I justify to myself my lack of combs. I like looser cuts...)

I might well get that Caturday tee...

6 minutes ago, JDelage said:

I see. No excuse then... :blush:Time to get some starch...

U can either re-introduce starch on the back knee area after a wash, if u’d rather wash than soak ... or if like I mentioned,  defer wash until u get permanent creasing,  w/c u don’t really need to starch cuz starch is still present in the yarns. 

7 minutes ago, roomtemplacroix said:

if starch can bring me combs like this i’d be interested :)

3FE51B56-9A05-4855-9CEA-69F669AABC66.jpeg

Mate, those are from wear. Not sure if dude rocked them [raw], but definitely those creases formed early on, when denim was new & crisp ... when random creasing usually occurs.

Edited by BrownMetallic

My pair is OW anyways. I'm not interested in going through the Jpz "enthusiast" regimen (because I'm lazy), but I might put a little starch behind the knees and on the front top block, just to see...

13 minutes ago, Chris T said:

ha ha I bet they do, 

if they're dumping a ton of starch  into the machine:laugh2:

good point!
i'm the opposite side of the spectrum. Wash at home with a biodegradable detergent, hang dry cause in this part of the world we're blessed with that beautiful thing called "sun" and no one owns a dryer!

17 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

IMO, combs form naturally depending on wear habits & wash frequency.  But, it can be taste-driven.   If u personally prefer a decent set [like I do], then yes,  it needs a bit of extra effort ... if that’s what u mean.  

1st couple of months, I spray water on it to temper the denim & reactivate the residual starch.  I don’t know if there’s factual basis to it, but that’s my ritual ... “fluffing” my combs.

I like the scientific, highly technical approach to it! On loose cuts I have never succeeded to get any decent honeycomb, but I can live with that. I've entered the dad stage in my life and can't be bothered with that anymore. I always get the same kind of hige (whiskers) on every jeans I own, they're my signature Zorro mark to jeans, and found that they'll show up no matter how much I wash the jeans. So my route for the next pair is let it go naturally and wash every time I want. Don't want to be too anal but perhaps apart form the break in, when jeans don't get dirty easily, I will wash every two weeks +/-
The more I get older the more I think that washing machine fades are the best fades. They just look natural, and nothing is more beautiful than nature. 

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, roomtemplacroix said:

if starch can bring me combs like this i’d be interested :)

3FE51B56-9A05-4855-9CEA-69F669AABC66.jpeg

dude I've seen your IG, your fades are PURRFECT! you're on the right track, don't be distracted by the beguiling sing of the sirens...

Edited by volvo240thebest

1 hour ago, wmb said:

"honeycombs" directly on the back of the knee area don't happen naturally in my opinion. They have always looked artificial to me

Im at the dad stage of life and I get combs set on all my jeans, whether i wear them for work or play, i never do anything untoward, just wear them hard and wash when they need it, nowt complicated..

I'd probably pass on a contest tee, myself—already put in an order for the No Shampoo Club version (as much of a lie as that may be), so I'm all set in that department

Never really seen the appeal in re-starching jeans, in general, but I've always been sorta tempted to try out the whole wood-glue-on-the-outseam trick just to see how it plays out…maybe this'll be the pair

I'm definitely firmly into the dad routine camp but it has taught me a lot about the joys to be released from denim when thoughtlessly washing and drying often. They may not stun from afar but close inspection has you drinking in the intricacies of puck and hige. 

Edited by Graytrain

@volvo240thebest RAW denim is like a blank canvas/journal.  Nothing wrong w/ being creative & have fun with it.

I know that sounds like philosophical/corny bullshit, but for me,  the “ritual” is the foreplay ... it’s what has kept me enthused through the years. 

I never really come even close to winning a contest ... unlike U or the fade artist extraordinaire  @Max Power,  but that’s cool.  I genuinely like journey.  I like switching it up just to see what’s the outcome.  Wabi-sabi, comes when I’m done ... down the line, they’re just faded jeans, after all.

Edited by BrownMetallic

So what we’re after is authentic jeans with bogus fades?

I really can’t be annoyed with all this nonsense around honeycombs, whiskers and traintracks ... may as well go the whole hog and stone wash them.

My plan is to wear them as and when I want to (instead of my lovely FW gear), give them as wash as and when they need it, take pictures as and when there’s something to show then repeat until the last day of the competition. If the jeans are any good then they’ll look great and more importantly I’ll have enjoyed wearing them.

Fade per se, is subjective.   It’s been debated to death since the dawn of SuFu ... but, in a fade contest,  what rules is, whatever criteria the judges adhere to.

Otherwise, might as well, just buy ur raw denim jeans & wear ‘em as u please ... & not bother with a contest.

Edited by BrownMetallic