Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

1 minute ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

Only contest for jeans.

hey Capsy, should I add you too? I am kind of losing control of the thing and can't remember if you confirmed or not. the whole thread is too long!

3 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

yea sure, sorry if this mention before but is it going to be a cross contest with the 40s jacket? 

the jacket will feature the contest patch but the prizes will be giving by evaluating the jeans only

29 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

oh I'd love to see Michael making a comeback! I still follow him on instagram and chat from time to time. He seems to be much into the tiki cocktail hobby. I am going to send him a message now.
Denim is a healthier hobby, those cocktails are a sugar bomb :D

this is too fun to not share. text from Setterman:

...Had a dream over the weekend that I needed new jeans and didn’t know what to buy and stores didn’t carry any brands I like anymore...

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

all tcb measurements are made on pattern, same method as per 50s 60s etc etc, just to further clarify re this

Thanks for clarifying that! :) I actually didn't know that was the case.

4 minutes ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

I await the ppl wearing the jeans couple more days and then I'll ask Ryo to help me re sizing. I'll let you know once I finalize the pre-order.

they're waiting a hardware order to start making the jeans. the next couple prototypes will be ready after the preorder ended.
I'd say go on and ask Ryo. He probably has figured out the stretch ratio

Anyone else go for a size that's borderline?

According to the measurements, when compared to four pairs of my jeans: Roy's, LVC 1915 etc, I could fit a 33 or 34. 
have ordered the 33 for a more streamlined look. 
Bad move? It'll all work out? I'm an idiot? 
(delete as applicable) 

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, volvo240thebest said:

Participants list

1. volvo240thebest (Italy)
  2. Topgearskin (UK)
  3. Julian Wolf (USA)
  4. Tigerstrom (Sweden)
  5. Kylito (USA)
  6. Lazerr (USA)
  7. Broark (USA)
  8. Graytrain (USA)
  9. Ar Thor (Denmark)
  10. NycSurger (USA)
  11. Darren Barbera/mindfulbiscuit  (UK)
  12. bartlebyyphonics (UK)
  13. Brownmetallic (USA)
  14. PaulT (UK)
  15. Hopethisoneisnttaken (Israel)
  16. Mtvare (UK)
  17. tjandaputra (Sweden/Netherlands)
  18. Jared Lee (USA)
  19. Maharu (Sweden)
  20. Roomtemplacroix (USA)
  21. Corporalclegg (USA)
  22. Thanks_M8 (Germany)
  23. Erockisalive (USA)
  24. Ecsong187 (USA)
  25. Aho (USA)
  26. Momokun (Australia)
  27. Cottonskinblues (Canada)
  28. Erk (USA)
  29. Broark (USA)
  30. Least Weasel (USA)
  31. Andrew Rose (USA)
  32. Unders (UK)
  33. DoitsuJin (USA)
  34. Uncle Karl (Japan)
  35. Frost (Germany)
  36. Slab (Belgium)
  37. Edmond (Philippines)
  38. Justintk (USA)
  39. Yot (Indonesia)
  40. moimanuh (India)
  41. Mariano Vittori (Switzerland/Italy)
  42.  RunMountainDrew (USA)
  43. Illcutz (UK)
  44. Facini (Denmark)
  45. garden gnomes in space (USA/Italy :D)
  46. srudy (USA)
  47. UkeNo (UK)
  48. MrCknNuggets (Japan/Canada)
  49. kameisenpai (Japan)
  50. Hermit (USA)
  51. JDelage (France/USA)
  52. Collin (Switzerland)
  53.  Spiraltoy (Sweden)
  54.  irual (Finland)
  55. Duke Mantee (Scotland)
  56. YossarianRaw (Denmark)
  57. plattertough (USA)
  58. discwork (USA)
  59. maharu (mistery...)
  60. longshanks (USA)
  61. Lori13 (USA)

[to be completed]

10 minutes ago, Lori13 said:

Hi, new to the forum. Just joined the contest from USA.

Welcome aboard @Lori13

You're in the list!

15 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

According to the measurements, when compared to four pairs of my jeans: Roy's, LVC 1915 etc, I could fit a 33 or 34. 
(delete as applicable) 

I am going to ask Ryo to confirm the stretch ratio of the contest pair. Hope it will help.
ATM I would be bang on 36 so no doubt at all for me.
Once I will be able to workout regularly like I did last year I may shrink down a bit but I don't mind, I think the cut will work nicely when worn loose.
I think Karl's fit is exactly what I would hope to achieve myself.

By the way on the Karl subject, peep that fierce contest grimace lol!
His jeans will be done and ready to retirement in three months haha!

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Really happy this has taken off , like someone ( aho? ) mentioned before .... it feels like Sufu of old 

we can plan a CSF contest for 2025 and start to order jeans now lol!
or a WHRanch contest for 2099 :D

2 hours ago, mondo said:

trying to decide if this happening requires any more antipodean participation... I have a hat made from WWII telo mimetico on order – perhaps it's a sign

surely the down under army would help more troopers
telo mimentico: you mean the Italian army one? that'd be cool AF

Edited by volvo240thebest
too many fu**en typozzzz

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

It does mention cold water wash though, so implies there may be a little more shrinkage left in them.

Initial [cold?!] wash shows approx 8% shrinkage lengthwise. ‘Sized up to W36 w/ L34.5 RIGID.   I’m expecting around 2.7” shrinkage  @31.8” on the 1st wash ... guesstimating it will stabilize @round 31” after a few washes.

So, for peeps who opted O/W, expect a residual shrinkage of around 2cm to an inch on longer inseams.

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Cheers!

I’m not particularly bothered with regards the pair I bought - it was more a general understanding of TCB methods. I’ll probably just sit in the bath like a real 1980’s twenty-something (twenty-eleven)

I don’t think they’ve already cut, since they need to know the [actual] breakdown by sizes before laying the markers. If u feel u need to adjust sizing, u might want to email Ryo, if they can still accommodate size change.

Edited by BrownMetallic

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

(delete as applicable) 

Did the same thing and am feeling a bit anxious now that they’re going to be small. I’ve  got a small waist and hips but a bit of a bum sticking out so that might be a problem.

10 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Birgitte from Oslo aka @mandel9000

OMG, how could i forget!  She's awesome!  @mandel9000 So glad you'll be joining!!!!

Edited by srudy

can't believe the uptake; in a great way! 60+ ftw! get to 80 by end of the week? come on you lurkers! get on in here and represent!

@srudy, @mandel9000 so great to see you here again! @Duke Mantee and so many new faces; great interest... sure to get great results; not just fades but all the collective knowledge to bring to bear [looking forward to detailed comparison notes with the FW1940s models...]

loving @Uncle Karl's game face; in it to win it, baby!

@UkeNo & @Spiraltoy in terms of borderline sizing; I am still there, hesitating... in conversation with Volvo I am reminded-instructed; this pair is the damn same as the 50s for top block...

and for the record; my [now just too small] tagged 36w 50s [worn and washed a good three years] sit pretty much damn on the 36" waist mark and my tagged 38w 20s [worn and washed numerous times for the competition period] measure in the realm of 38" waist ... so whilst factoring for stretch and looking hopefully at 'raw' charts, they really have stayed at their shrink to tag size... [whilst my recent 36w lvc def have more give to the 37/38" mark]

so pretty sure [still a week to dither...] on getting one wash w.38 l.30  [to end up in a year with something like 37-39" waist, 29" leg - shrink, stretch and monster rise notwithstanding...] - wanting something in the 37" realm but thinking a 36 and stretch is a losing [not loosening] streak... 

- the hips look trim and Ryo's blurb on the tcb shopify page has me thinking also...

image.png.8ff14d3e6c17cba08aa75ae9db6ea451.png

... it looks (from Ryo's comment above) that a 36 tcb s40s is a comparable shape to a 34 tcb 20s? I want a trimmer fit than the comp. 20s (but still comfortable as a comfortable pair might not fade better, but will be worn more...)which I got as 38w. so think a s40s w.38 will be that...

and watching Uncle Karl go to svelte 34 s40s after his gargantuan 40 waist '20s is watching a proud and confident pro at work! have the confidence to work to the desired worn shape [slim 40s, voluminous 20s], not just the charts!

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Many a thanks @bartlebyyphonics @volvo240thebest

@Spiraltoy think I'm going to request a size up to 34. 

Due to Bartles data in the quote I'd rather have a bit more room to accommodate for any further shrinking from a few washes. 

I've badgered Volvo via dm about the jacket too, and was going round in circles trying to figure it out. Thanks mate. 

Amazed at how many have joined up. If we include people not on Sufu (yet) do you think we'll crack 100 participants? That would be something for a single brand competition. Going to be cool following all these people over 18 months. 

Edited by UkeNo

5 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ How many of those do you think will continue to post regularly?

How many of those do you think are in it to win it?

More than any past contest anyway!