Happy jeans: TCBxSufu S40s WW2 contest thread

Just now, Darren Barbera said:

I’m in the the ww2 contest Volvo  high to  all I know some of you guys from insta this ones big 

23 minutes ago, BionicEye said:

are you going for the rigid or one wash ones?

I’ve gone for one wash who going raw or ow 

2 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Participants list

1. volvo240thebest (Italy)
  2. Topgearskin (UK)
  3. Julian Wolf (USA)
  4. Tigerstrom (Sweden)
  5. Kylio (USA)
  6. Lazerr (USA)
  7. Broark (USA)
  8. Graytrain (USA)
  9. mindfulbiscuit (UK)

[to be completed]

Really not sure how I should size these. I only ever tried a 50s OW and I gained a lot of weight since. 

My tanuki regulars are 92cm/36.2in in the waist (way too big)

And 34cm/12.4in thighs (perfect) 

Rise is 32cm/12.5in and fine, could be lower, could be higher.

So I'm thinking the cut will work but kinda lost on sizing. 33,34 or 36 OW?

Edited by YossarianRaw

I'm in (from UK).

33 in 50s is perfect for me, but I'm a bit puzzled as to the model's sizing. By my reckoning a 183cm man who weighs 76kg is pretty skinny. And yet the page says he wears 34 OW and they're even a bit tight.

Anyone else find that a bit odd?

Sizing for me comes down the the thigh measurements.
The thigh on the 36 is a little slim, so I think I'll take a size up and wear them loose in true 40s style. I took a 36 in the 20s when I had a pair.
The size 46 jacket looks pretty much perfect.

3 minutes ago, Mtvare said:

I'm in (from UK).

33 in 50s is perfect for me, but I'm a bit puzzled as to the model's sizing. By my reckoning a 183cm man who weighs 76kg is pretty skinny. And yet the page says he wears 34 OW and they're even a bit tight.

Anyone else find that a bit odd?

Different people have different built/muscle mass/bone width etc. weight and height can’t really reflect on sizing in my opinion. I am 184cm and I weigh 82 kg and will need size 33 according to the chart. 

7 minutes ago, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Different people have different built/muscle mass/bone width etc. weight and height can’t really reflect on sizing in my opinion. I am 184cm and I weigh 82 kg and will need size 33 according to the chart. 

Sure, I recognize that people's builds are different, but weight and height ratio does say something. A 34"+ waist with that height / weight ratio looks strange to me. But what everyone else is saying about their proposed size is sounding plausible so I guess I'll go with the 33.

For raw, do we give desired inseam after shrink or before?

Edited by Mtvare
inaccuracy

Yes, again, the best thing anyone can do to determine sizing is:

1) Find a pair of jeans that you own that fits right

a) if that pair is lower, slimmer by design, whatever, use the best measurements from that pair and be sensible

b) if the only comparable fit you own doesn't fit right, take a good, educated guess at how much you would want the waist or thigh or whatever to be

different and adjust your desired measurement accordingly (see below)

2) Measure the jeans at the various points listed on the size chart

a) don't stretch, don't press tight, don't measure to the 1/16", just quick across the mark, note it to the closest 1/4" or .5 cm and move the fuck on

3) Match the most "like" measurements from the chart to a size

a) it's never gonna be exact

b) use all your measurements and find the average set that fits closest to yours and note the size (or like @Broark, if you have a particular measurement

that takes precedence, balance all measurements, but err on the side of that measurement)

c) trust the chart, trust the chart, trust the chart

4) Get that size

a) there will be differences when you measure your received pair, there will be, I promise

b) wear your jeans, wear them some more, if you followed the above instructions correctly, you'll be happy, happier and happy jeans TCB fanboy in no  time

Edited by Jared_Lee

^ I don't think anyone here's new to sizing jeans

As you've noted, measurements never tell the full story, and specific advice from people who have more direct experience with a brand can be very useful

Catch-all advice like "read the size charts" might be better-suited for reddit…

2 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

specific advice from people who have more direct experience with a brand can be very useful

Except that this is a brand new pattern with brand new fabric that nobody can say fuckall useful about so, charts it is. If you have questions about the denim or sizing, the pre-order page directs you to the only other relevant source, Ryo.

6 minutes ago, Jared_Lee said:

Except that this is a brand new pattern with brand new fabric[...]

Which is exactly why some are discussing the pictures provided held up against the vitals and fit preference of the model listed. It might help understand the brand new pattern...

Edited by YossarianRaw

14 minutes ago, fix_me said:

When they measure- are they measuring with waistbands aligned or with the dip?

I am going to add this to the first post too

https://tcbjeans.myshopify.com/pages/how-we-measure

9 minutes ago, Jared_Lee said:

Except that this is a brand new pattern with brand new fabric that nobody can say fuckall useful about so, charts it is. If you have questions about the denim or sizing, the pre-order page directs you to the only other relevant source, Ryo.

Yea I get that I sent Ryo a DM 

ive never owned any TCB that’s why I asked in here. 

^^^^ That's def. fair, but I'd like to believe that, as with many other brands, there's some internal consistency in TCB's sizing

As an example, I've worn a lot of different Cane's, and I know pretty confidently what size I'll take in a new pair from a given era even if I can't find any concrete information (let alone measurements) for the particular pair—many here have similar levels of experience with TCB, and I'd hope that their experience could be applied to helping new folks size these new jeans. Sure, specifics like shrink and stretch might still be unknown to the experts, but there's some level of trust that I'd like to put in Inoue and his crew to keep sizing more or less consistent across the brand

2 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

Yea I get that I sent Ryo a DM 

ive never owned any TCB that’s why I asked in here. 

Ryo is the best solution I think. I reply to all the questions I see and I think I can be helpful with.

@julian-wolf if it helps, I am 31 TCB 50s and not at all concerned with the measurements for the 31 WWII (my ordered size). I am 31 in Warehouse 1001, 1003 and 700 (all differ by 1 or 2 cm here and there, nbd). I am 31 in Sugar Cane 47s, though I haven't owned a pair in years. I am 31 in the MF California Lot. 654 in try-on only as previously mentioned. I am 30 in Full Count 0105. Oh and TCB Seaman's trouser is size 30.

Edited by Jared_Lee

1 minute ago, julian-wolf said:

^^^^ That's def. fair, but I'd like to believe that, as with many other brands, there's some internal consistency in TCB's sizing

As an example, I've worn a lot of different Cane's, and I know pretty confidently what size I'll take in a new pair from a given era even if I can't find any concrete information (let alone measurements) for the particular pair—many here have similar levels of experience with TCB, and I'd hope that their experience could be applied to helping new folks size these new jeans. Sure, specifics like shrink and stretch might still be unknown to the experts, but there's some level of trust that I'd like to put in Inoue and his crew to keep sizing more or less consistent across the brand

There is consistency for sure. The first advice that Ryo shared with me was suggesting to anyone familiar with the 50s to get the same size because both cuts are very similar, which actually makes me pretty pumped, because the 50s are my favourite jeans cut. And also as a rule of thumb, I wear the same size in all tcb jeans (20s/50s/60s) and I am pretty sure I would be a 36 in all the other cuts.