Denim Distancing: Japanese Denim and Covid-19

It's interesting to read of those brands saying they're pretty much limited to 100% online sales and yet their online outfits often don't ship outside Japan. I suspect that Iron Heart might be in a better position, though of course shipping from IH Jp to IH UK is by itself a challenge.

You have to remember that their bread and butter is the domestic market, we're just a blip on the radar as far as their total gross margin goes.
Also I'd imagine you'd start stepping on the toes of your western retailers if you offered international shipping given domestic pricing vs. international.

2 hours ago, JDelage said:

Agreed, yet some manage to have both online and dealers. I'm just wondering whether this crisis will cause some to reassess their strategies.

Perhaps not directly relevant to this thread specifically but I was thinking the same about Japanese brands/stores that won't ship international. Will they reconsider that strategy and what's stops them doing it now? Loopwheeler springs to mind. They point blank refuse to ship outside of UK. Manufacture can't be the issues as they support 2 or 3 B&M stores with regular restocks, they have a website, they have an amazon JP store (albeit with 3 items only) that does ship abroad((? ??))Since lockdown in JP they have launched a new webstore but still don't offer international shipping!

What prevents them from doing so as they have no international distributors to consider?

Edited by Geeman