• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. WWII Ranch Pant

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Ooms' Cant Bust Em Wild Card

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. To Customise or Not, That is the question...

• Ed to please explore options (and costs) with WH re: customised pockets/patch
    • Go for standard pair as bulk order
  9. 9. Request Optional Longer inseam

• Yes
    • No
  10. 10. Rite Stuff shirt issues as part of the competition thread

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/15/20 at 11:55 PM

Maybe it would be a good idea to poll again to assess the number of participants? Things have changed for many people.

Edit: I don't mind waiting either.

Edited by JDelage

Considerations, most said already, but for the record…

Growing number of Sufu’ers forced out, who had wanted in, takes the edge off it

No denim shortage if we defer - surely WH won’t run out of the new denim?

But who knows how long we’ll be in the tunnel, what sh!t awaits or how long to normalise on the other side – between now and then could be a contest timespan itself!!!  

Daily denim wear opportunity for those normally limited… ‘til the other side, pics might be limited but a good distraction from worldy matters

Gut feel says defer… but could go either way depending what others think... not a biggy

We have a week or so to decide – how? poll time?

Obviously need to be fair to Ed – with thanks to him for enabling it 

Edited by MJF9

I know we're talking about pumping the brakes on this for the time being, but just some inspirational ideas seen on Yahoo.
'95-'96 era patch, flannel pocket bags, WWII detailing. These are more likely a '44/'45.
i-img900x1200-158592171870jhfk1826288.jp
 i-img900x1200-1585921718drgufp1826288.jp
i-img1200x1128-1585921718dsqu6u1826288.j
i-img1134x1200-1585921719zd5ymx1826288.j

On 4/5/2020 at 2:57 AM, edmond said:

Lets do

it

Hi @edmond - in much agreement about moving on with it - but worried for longevity of the comp. thread; with 6 dropping out from the responses above (& @volvo240thebest-san) - wondering what methods there are of setting this in motion, first group paying now, receiving jeans but waiting for comp to start (perhaps Jan 2021) and then second group (anyone who had to wait) paying you then (probably more of a financial exposure to risk than you can take on as a business)? [sorry was going to dm this, but trying transparency]. I really really appreciate the efforts gone into this, but the shift in the world between the time of the feb poll and the current moment is pretty big! 

Or, do you think that, as with @MJF9's analysis, economic recovery / bounceback for people may well be 18 months anyway? 

May well be best to just crack on for those who are committed... (I worry if we pause too long the comp. just disappears again - from watching denimbro seeing comp. potentials appear and just wither away I think with this here prepped and ready perhaps best to move for those who can...) - I would love to know if @Foxy2 has an opinion (as I can feel his return in the rep-aether...) thoughts from others?

Do we poll for this before polling on patch? Or do we poll on patch or... general question to all, do we think that the patch below that @Broark so helpfully shared is a possibility - with the text not as 'limited edition' but as 'superfuture edition'? (and I know there is a strong desire for some for the flannel bags... is that a '46 thing though - @Flash would know... @beautiful_FrEaK - didnt your CSF 46-ers come flanneled? or is my denim memory flawed... )

On 4/5/2020 at 3:24 PM, Broark said:

I know we're talking about pumping the brakes on this for the time being, but just some inspirational ideas seen on Yahoo.
'95-'96 era patch, flannel pocket bags...

i-img900x1200-158592171870jhfk1826288.jp

i-img1200x1128-1585921718dsqu6u1826288.j

... and then as a sense-check before I start making crazy amounts of polls again in the little time before Ed needs to report back:

those who want to get on with comp but continue discussion of patches: plus rep this post

those who want to poll on continuation-or-deferral: neg rep this post

those who want poll on patch (between jeans pulling horse or longhorn variations): super rep this post 

those who want who want to get on with comp. with the '95/'96 era patch with 'superfuture edition' trashrep this post - I would trashrep myself here...

those who want flannel pockets pls just say so... I know @Broark finds it a deal breaker: does anyone else?

cheers!

PS. sorry for the longwinded and convoluted posts: really excited for this comp - just trying to involve possible: and very very thankful again to @edmond for all his work

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

@bartlebyyphonics flannel pocket bags are more characteristic of a WWII pair, but the '46 is typically a mix of WWII and post-war detailing.
As far as pocket bags being a deal breaker: I'm just trying to think of details that will set these apart from the 25th anniversary '46s that are already in the pipeline for Warehouse this year.

This is just my opinion , and for anyone wanting to compete in the contest ( I'm not ) take it for whatever it's worth . Think back to all the contests that have took place here on sufu , the Warehouse 660 and the Samurai 0500xx were the best and they didn't need any extra bells and whistles ( with the exception of the wh patch ) to make them good to follow , it's the extras and customisation that adds to the time and more importantly the cost of the jeans . Since I'm not joining the contest I don't have much of a voice in here but if it were my choice , I'd just go for a standard 46 or 25th anniversary if they are available and at most would ask for a different patch 

Hope this goes ahead because a good contest really gives the forum a lot of life . Keep safe out there lads 

I just feel like it's a bit redundant to have a pair of jeans that's essentially the same as something Warehouse is already releasing.
A contest doesn't need all the bells and whistles to be worthwhile (the OA S&S contest just featured a unique denim and is one of my favorite jeans of all time).
Just think we need something to make them different than what Warehouse already has planned IMO.
And if that's a special patch then I'd still be in, since I'd likely get the 25th anniversary jeans.

I kinda agree with Ryan (even though I'm not taking part either):
I get the wish to have something customized for a contest pair to have it stand out from the crowd but a customized patch, customized poket bags..what was the minimum order for such a run? 500 pairs? I'm pretty sure it's obvious this contest will not even gather a tenth of the required run during these troubled times.

To me a contest makes the most fun if you explore something new and the new denim would already be a great basis for this.
The S0500XX contest had no bells&whistles..just a new denim, Samurai never used before. the WH660 had at least a custom patch but I also think they had like 300 pairs for this contest?
You can't compare Ooe with Warehouse...totally different production numbers.

If this contest shall happen this year, it's probably the most viable way to go with the 25th anniversary pair.

How would the competing people stand to a plain red patch on the left side or instead of the classic patch? If the signet-store would sew them on, I could cut them out, and we could get them sent there.
Still got a bunch of red lambskin, I'm not using for anything at the moment. Would surely be kinda unique, and interesting to watch it age.

Edited by Thanks_M8

OK I’m in – assuming we have enough people to make a collective fist of it 

It seems it’s with the blessing of those who aren't in this time round, this helps

I agree with the chaps above - if it’s game on, let’s move quick, avoiding stuff that injects time

Provided not causing a delay and not costly, I don't have an issue with @edmond asking WH about period-correct pocket bags – agree with @Broark this would be a bonus feature but not a breaker at all

@bartlebyyphonics time for a quick 3 question poll? Along the lines of...  

1)      Confirmed participants – names needed… then only those voting yes to answer the next 2 

2)      Preferred patch (options as above)

3)      Period-correct pocket bags (provided no delay, not costly)? 

Promises to be a welcome distraction... consider yourself Trashrep'd @bartlebyyphonics!!

Edited by MJF9

Just popped my trashrep cherry, and it felt good. 
I think the take up may be low. This can be a little bridging contest to the highly anticipated and well attended ‘piss off Coronavirus, we’ve all got our jobs back’ contest in 18months time. 

Yea I’m laid off for over a month and who knows what workload will look like when I go back. 
I’m probably a no buy for the rest of this year. 
Two kids a wife and a house is a lot to keep afloat during these hard financial times. 

One idea to differentiate the patch (and probably wouldn't take much time/money): green stamped lettering.
My knowledge of the specifics of this isn't too deep, so maybe someone else could chime in on the historical accuracy.
Here's the green lettering used on the Sugar Cane Junky Special '46 jeans. I've seen it on vintage Levi's but my Google-fu isn't working very well.
o0640061014095205897.jpg?caw=800
Edit: Stealing a picture from our own @Double 0 Soul as he as a pair.
47033480544_d1352d9a36_b.jpg

Edited by Broark