WAYWT 2020 [denim edition]

Broark

I’ve never had a beer in my life. Just a sip. I’m pretty boring super healthy eating, never tried anything. Only a fag when I was 6 and threw up. Same with wine or other alcohol drinks. Anyway, as an ex pro athlete I can tell you my coach-medical doctor-trainer told me to have a beer a day after training for the electrolytes sodium potassium  and that it was excellent nutritiously speaking-  minerals  and way better than Gatorade isostar post workout shite etc I was drinking.

so if you are gonna drink beer just buy the best one organic green friendly and but cons is the alcohol obviously. Low alcohol or no alcohol should do the job or not? 

4 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

While we're on the subject, why on earth does the rest of the world think that folks from the UK drink warm beer? i'll happily drink cheap swill but never do i want it to be warm for goodness sake.. most cheap crap tastes great if it's served cold enough.

Maybe some beer-nerds can educate me

I agree. If it’s cold enough it’ll drink just fine no matter how cheap and or shitty the beer is.

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

As a kid, I remember my dad drinking warm bitter on Sunday lunchtimes at the Catholic social club. 
Found this on beerandbrewing.com:

Different styles of beer taste better to most people at different temperatures. Here are some general guidelines:

• 35–40°F (2–4°C): Mass market light lagers
  • 40–45°F (4–7°C): Czech and German Pilsners, Munich Helles, wheat beers, and Kölsch
  • 45–50°F (7–10°C): IPAs, American pale ales, porters, and most stouts
  • 50–55°F (10–13°C): Belgian ales, sour ales, Bocks, English bitters and milds, Scottish ales
  • 55–60°F (13–16°C): Barleywines, imperial stouts, Belgian strong ales, and Doppelbocks

When in doubt remember this rule of thumb: light body and low alcohol beer tastes better cold while full body and high alcohol examples are better warmer.

I don’t think I’ve ever had beer that wasn’t cold (not counting shitty parties where shitty beer is put in a bucket where there isn’t nearly enough ice). Given that the US is probably going to play permanent welcoming host to this virus, trying beers at the different temperatures might make for a fun past time at home. 

30 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had beer that wasn’t cold (not counting shitty parties where shitty beer is put in a bucket where there isn’t nearly enough ice). Given that the US is probably going to play permanent welcoming host to this virus, trying beers at the different temperatures might make for a fun past time at home. 

Careful with that. My attempt at being a self made cicerone at home during lockdown has led to borderline alcoholism.

2 hours ago, 81611 said:

Careful with that. My attempt at being a self made cicerone at home during lockdown has led to borderline alcoholism.

Well i guess one way or the other, some kind of Corona will be involved In my demise. 

17 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Steel Reserve.  If you know you know.

No love for St. Ides?

Really, though, Bud and Coors are pretty close to the bottom of the barrel—I guess they beat Keystone  and Natty and those, but they’re all right in the same category

As far as temperature goes, I prefer room temp (cellar temp, really, which is what I figured most people mean when they say room temp in this context) for most beers—if I’m having something light and refreshing like a lager or a blonde ale I’ll have it cold, but all the cold does really is take away from the flavor, which is the last thing I want when I’m drinking something that’s supposed to be tasty

whew steel reserve....natty light is pretty rough too. years back I had a coworker who would always grab natty light or steel reserve at the corner store and brown bag it whenever we'd hang out or he'd even bring it to dinner parties. Pretty gnarly. In hindsight, he might have had a drinking problem...

Edited by youngofthesoonest

I still remember being like 18 visiting some friends back in Georgia that were having a house party. Drank like 8-10 Natty’s, went to Waffle House after and had a very unpleasant experience. Never again. Over in Singapore the cheap options were Tiger Beer and Bintang, both are much better than their American counterparts. 

1 hour ago, 81611 said:

Nice fit @roomtemplacroix. I like that hat, was thinking about getting one myself.

i have been on the fence with it for awhile, but couldn’t be happier that i picked it up. it’s got a nice deep crown and a pretty long visor. not as long as his hemingway but longer than most of his others. also the thing is so lightweight. it’s a perfect summer cap. 

19 minutes ago, roomtemplacroix said:

i have been on the fence with it for awhile, but couldn’t be happier that i picked it up. it’s got a nice deep crown and a pretty long visor. not as long as his hemingway but longer than most of his others. also the thing is so lightweight. it’s a perfect summer cap. 

whoops! i was actually just ranting and raving about my new papa nui cap lol. ship john caps are awesome too. they sell out too quick unfortunately. i’m gonna try and secure a wills pre-order this month. 

2 hours ago, Broark said:

I still remember being like 18 visiting some friends back in Georgia that were having a house party. Drank like 8-10 Natty’s, went to Waffle House after and had a very unpleasant experience. Never again. Over in Singapore the cheap options were Tiger Beer and Bintang, both are much better than their American counterparts. 

Everyone who's grown up in Georgia has had that exact same story from beginning to end. 

17 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

#lifehacks

I wonder where extra-cold Guinness sits on the chart, i'll still probably stick by my uncultured 'if it's beer stick it in the fridge' onesize fits all solution.

As a fellow plebeian I adhere to this rule as well!

Meanwhile here in the states there’s the common misconception that Brits like to drink their beer at a nice solid room temperature! Haha :P

Edited by SuperJackle

^ Some nostalgic part of me wishes they still made that stuff

I was in my big social drinking phase when they announced they were taking it off the shelves and I remember my pals and I each buying a couple dozen cans to keep around, all long gone now of course

Fuck was it gross