Show Us Around Your Neighbourhood

Double 0 Soul

This pub is just up the road from me.. It's opposite Hallam FC (the oldest football ground in the world)

The-Plough-Sandygate-Sheffield-6.thumb.jpg.2b69c5b19f17a778323c4392b0e1ccaf.jpg

Developers are going to demolish it and build 8x town houses in it's place, local historians battled hard to save it citing cultural-vandalism (the previous pub had been on that land since 1600)  it's where folks first sat down and drew up the rules of football, the council agreed with the campaigners and quashed the developers plans.. but the developers appealed and a building inspector over ruled the council .. so that's another part of the city's heritage gone. The council was also ordered to pay the developer an undisclosed amout, the inspector said refusing the plans was “unreasonable behaviour resulting in unnecessary or wasted expense”

How depressing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @fre-co I'll drop you a DM with suggestions.
Right now COVID is hitting the city pretty hard, we're in stage 5 (highest level) so a lot of things are temporarily closed...
Hopefully by then we get past this peak, would be up to grab a beer somewhere depending on when you're in town.
Anything you're interested in doing specifically? I know a lot of good breweries and restaurants. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Junior MJF9's football was covid-cancelled so we tried a Malaysian café in Headingley, studentsville in the city of Leeds – excellent food, will go again

20220123 Leeds 1.jpg

20220123 Leeds 2.jpg

And a here’s one for @unders memory lane 

20220123 Leeds 3.jpg

The grand arcades of Leeds – in order - Grand Arcade, Victoria Quarter, Thornton’s Arcade 

20220123 Leeds 4.jpg

20220123 Leeds 5.jpg

20220123 Leeds 6.jpg

The latter being home of OK Comics and ex-home of Hip Leeds (see an earlier link I posted)

Patient wait for the little fella to inspect and re-inspect glossy comics in comic sweetshop, emerging with Miles Morales The Clone Saga, thankfully out of his savings

20220123 Leeds 7.jpg

20220123 Leeds 8.jpg

The off home via McKikz – where we last were refused entry for not having a booking – a what? a booking? – surely there are hall passes for heritage-wearing, utilitarian dandy, rugged, denim-clad blokes?  No. OK, give it time dears…

This time, luck was on our side, no booking required; interestingly… no prices on shoes, only barcodes for scanning, leading to the website…

20220123 Leeds 9.jpg

20220123 Leeds 10.jpg

20220123 Leeds 11.jpg

20220123 Leeds 12.jpg

Homeward bound eyes-goggling at comic pricing

20220123 Leeds 13.jpg

Edited by MJF9

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Why surprisingly?  Genuinely unperturbed by the word and curious to hear more... cheers

Just an ignorant Londoner to be honest, currently working for a company based in Leeds so I'm up there once a month.  I didn't know what to expect going to the "North".  The people are cool, I really like the accent too.

This picture sums it up actually.

edit: ignore the tea reference I think that must be an American thing

bou3gt0cvtr71.png

Edited by suchislife

I bet you took your passport the first time you made the trip up north :laugh:.  Good to hear you've been pleasantly surprised, appreciate your candidity

I've spent a lot of time in London over the years and have seen the attitude above sometimes but definitely not always and definitely reduced over time

Londoners are even making it as far as my home town in the North West... including a certain Super Frank who is settling in very well indeed and I reckon will have a nice cup in his cabinet in May!!!