Show Us Around Your Neighbourhood

Double 0 Soul

So back to part 2 of the slide show…

Junior MJF9 freewheeling down the escarpment…

The wind he causes in passing… Cools the sweat of his neck, making him one with the sky

(words Louise Macneice, inspiration @oomslokop)

#5 2020 Leading the way.jpg

#6 2020 Hill View.JPG

And the 120m (as Junior measured)… this is the place of the lactic acid inducing lockdown hill sprints… not an elastic band or snapped branch in sight @bartlebyyphonics and @Maynard Friedman you'll be glad to hear...

#6a Hill Sprints.jpg

A view of one of the lakes

#6c 2020 Roundhay Lake.JPG

Barran's Fountain – apparently a grade II listed drinking fountain in the shape of a classical rotunda,  presented to the Borough of Leeds by John Barran in 1882

Amazing the facts you find online when you realise you have to describe where you live 

#7 2020 Roundhay Barrans Fountain 1882.JPG

In the heat of the handlebars Junior MJF9 grasps the summer

#8 2020 Lead bike.jpg

A fake castle, no less - a folly built in 1811 by local master builder George Nettleton to give the appearance of a castle gate. It originally had a wooden roof and an upper room, and was used as a summerhouse, a sewing room for the Nicholson girls, and for social functions such as dinners... I still await my invite for afternoon tea...

#9 Castle.JPG

Onto the Mansion House... a large stone two- and three-storey house in Greek Revival style with a view over the Upper Lake, built from 1811 to 1826. It was built for Thomas Nicholson and his wife Elizabeth, who took up residence in 1816. It had three carriage houses and stabling for 17 horses. It was bought by the City of Leeds in 1871, and the sale document noted that the principal rooms on the ground floor were 13 feet high, and on the first floor were 17 bedrooms and 2 water-closets. (words a cut and paste from that trusty interweb)

#10 Mansion House.JPG

#10a Mansion House.jpg

For those interested, next time I have some city centre pics from the spring lockdown coming soon-ish…

Edited by MJF9
To add some words between pics

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Anyone got them super-decorated Chrismas houses in their hood? Americans, i'm looking at you :D

The town I live in made like an official thing, to light up the town to show support for... whatever. So it was pretty unprecedented this year. However, a lot of it was slovenly... like using the light string as an extension cord so you have lights on the ground, and then up into the tree, etc. And I saw a ton of my least favorite decoration, the large plastic Homer Simpson (don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Simpsons, just not as Xmas decorations).

I've always wondered what tier 4 looked like.. that is a MASSIVE difference to what life is in Australia (except NSW) right now where everyone is free to go out with no cases for 6 months.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:49 AM, MJF9 said:

I was at the wrong end of town today to get a picture of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral aka Paddy’s Wigwam. That’s a decent slab of concrete you might like.... will get one next time round

if you're in Liverpool, every end is the wrong end of town. :P

3 hours ago, louisbosco said:

I've always wondered what tier 4 looked like.. that is a MASSIVE difference to what life is in Australia (except NSW) right now where everyone is free to go out with no cases for 6 months.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe all the students have returned home till the 11th of Jan, therefore what you are seeing above isn't the effects of a Tier4 lockdown it's the effects of that once in a year event we call Christmas :)

30 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe all the students have returned home till the 11th of Jan, therefore what you are seeing above isn't the effects of a Tier4 lockdown it's the effects of that once in a year event we call Christmas :)

oh right, that's true. but it is still a massive difference to most of Australia right now. everything back to normal without any restrictions whatsoever and without a case in more than 6 months.

Yup it was definitely the Christmas holidays, same time every year

It's actually in Tier 3, not that you'd know the difference from a picture

You'll be able to look up Tier 4 restrictions online, though imo there are no respectable bragging rights in comparisons

Sadly, there are new cases all over the globe, though thankfully Australia's are much lower (the online stats say only 13 new cases yesterday)

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

Yup it was definitely the Christmas holidays, same time every year

It's actually in Tier 3, not that you'd know the difference from a picture

You'll be able to look up Tier 4 restrictions online, though imo there are no respectable bragging rights in comparisons

Sadly, there are new cases all over the globe, though thankfully Australia's are much lower (the online stats say only 13 new cases yesterday)

yeah I'll admit the tiered restrictions are quite confusing when I briefly read them up. I have a couple mates down in gosport that are in tier 4 I believe. 

Western Australia has no cases at all. We do not care about imported cases as they are from returning citizens and those numbers are irrelevant. Only community spread cases is important as that dictates if a state should shut its borders with other states. all new cases under Australia comes from the damned eastern states of NSW and VIC. 

If the UK had the population density of Western Australia, it would have a total population of approx 235,000. This is why it’s comparing oranges with apples.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 12/28/2020 at 4:34 PM, Double 0 Soul said:

Indubitably but one bit of grass looks very much like every other whereas concrete on t'other hand.. :)

nice updates ppl

and yes; a good bit of concrete, located within grass surrounds (making the point of concrete here, not my neighbourhood, a 20 min drive from the house in yee ol' Crystal Palace...)

the building houses an olympic sized swimming pool, but also has a decent skatepark behind and a kiddie kar trakk aside...

[the park also houses the most excellent [concrete-looking] victorian dinosaurs

uSebyFJh.jpg

5LEd6TNh.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 1:35 AM, louisbosco said:

oh right, that's true. but it is still a massive difference to most of Australia right now. everything back to normal without any restrictions whatsoever and without a case in more than 6 months.

I'm in Melbourne and we still have restrictions, and for your information , Victoria, New south wales, Queensland and South Australia have all had outbreaks in the last six months, though not as serious as some in other parts of the world.Western Australia has been free from it as the state closes it's border at the slightest outbreak, They have just closed their border to Victoria for the second or third time as we have ten or eleven cases, as an example.

Edited by FAB FOUR