Show Us Around Your Neighbourhood

Double 0 Soul

21 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I always liked the brutalist extension to the town hall in Sheffield (The Egg Box)

Town Hall c1890 Egg Box 1977 the buildings are connected via that glass corridor

33587acff7af371c097a73a9bce40389

...folks hated it so they demolished it in 2002

hope u mean the 1890 one!

2 minutes ago, unders said:

Here’s the neighbourhood. 

Immediately outside the door step. Our row are typical Victorian semis with nice bay windows. Neighbours with original sash windows get bonus points (bastards...) 

B40AB646-3BAD-4302-AFC9-877B9B32F255.thumb.jpeg.ec605b6d1f3fc86e0f7b2360c0f62c36.jpeg

...and extra bonus points besides for those with the original rippled Victorian glass, my 101yr old next door neighbour for one who has lived in his house since 1954 without ever getting modern glazing.

Wonderfull post @unders

59 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Great photos and commentary unders, Worcester looks highly liveable indeed.

Thanks kindly. We’re happy here, and of course the centre of the universe and my hometown is only 30miles away in Brum! 

Lol @unders

We ordered a load of food from some barbecue place , ribs , wings and whatnot ... yer man arrived with a chicken burger . I explained the order being wrong ( wasn't aggressive or cheeky ) and instead of saying " sorry about that mate , I'll see what I can do " all i got was " not my problem bruv " and it devolved from there . He ended up shoving the bag into my chest so i hit him , first one hit his scooter helmet ( :D probably where I hurt my hand ) but the second was pretty flush 

Misses was shitting herself in the hotel waiting for the police to show up 

Edited by Flash

25 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

As per results of a straw poll down at the Old Varsity Tavern, Selly Oak. Decent boozer, remembered through hazy eyes...

Enjoyed your post Unders!

Used to be a good boozer, past its glory days now. 20+ years of continued student abuse will do that to a place....

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

Used to be a good boozer, past its glory days now. 20+ years of continued student abuse will do that to a place....

Ah that fits - my hazy memories were around 30 ago!

Edited by MJF9

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve no idea why Birmingham is much maligned. I hear it’s twinned with Middlesbrough you know!

Brum is great - it’s somewhere almost anyone from anywhere in the country - even a cockney - can actually sound posh! :P

4 hours ago, Flash said:

Lol @unders

We ordered a load of food from some barbecue place , ribs , wings and whatnot ... yer man arrived with a chicken burger . I explained the order being wrong ( wasn't aggressive or cheeky ) and instead of saying " sorry about that mate , I'll see what I can do " all i got was " not my problem bruv " and it devolved from there . He ended up shoving the bag into my chest so i hit him , first one hit his scooter helmet ( :D probably where I hurt my hand ) but the second was pretty flush 

Misses was shitting herself in the hotel waiting for the police to show up 

Aye, that’d be a cracker - a couple of English cops listening to “I lamped yer man ...” :laugh2:

Reminds me of this Neal ...

Maybe some of you guys know this cartoon character - probably mostly not - but he’s famous in Scotland and was ‘born’ in Dundee just a few miles from me (although strangely his creator was a Lancashire man)

Oor Wullie

Anyway as you’ll see from the link the character was used to create dozens of statues in different guises all in different locations raising funds for Scotland’s children’s hospital charities. The Duchess and I saw this version on a weekly basis taking Ellie into Ninewells hospital

3F382D46-DD0F-41D0-8560-03DA0989A7A1.jpeg

Some of the ideas were brilliant and really funny - these sitting in Dundee

8A318C0A-D5BD-46C6-B295-4A1438AACA1E.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee