Show Us Around Your Neighbourhood

Double 0 Soul

@Geeman

Ming’s got to be one of the coolest bloke’s in Birmingham right. 
Anyway, you’ve got some explaining to do:

03A32F98-FFBB-484C-A187-1D24C0C8E25D.jpeg.d55cd0254ded95d1e8742105ceafb4fd.jpeg
:biggrin:

I promise to go out to take a few photos of the neighbourhood today. I’ve spammed this thread enough and about time I contributed something half decent!

1 hour ago, unders said:

@Geeman

Ming’s got to be one of the coolest bloke’s in Birmingham right. 
Anyway, you’ve got some explaining to do:

03A32F98-FFBB-484C-A187-1D24C0C8E25D.jpeg.d55cd0254ded95d1e8742105ceafb4fd.jpeg
:biggrin:

I promise to go out to take a few photos of the neighbourhood today. I’ve spammed this thread enough and about time I contributed something half decent!

A man can't live on Netflix alone and with the gym closed.....

I run as much as possible with a full time job with loads of travel and a 3 month old baby ( and a tendency to enjoy Saturday afternoon on the sofa with a whiskey ) and now there is an enforced hour a day maximum outdoor excersise I'm seeing loads of people out for walk (who do not appear to have done much excersise previously :ph34r: ).

I'm hoping that post lockdown people have learned to appreciate what's on their doorstep and get out more. 

General rant incoming. ... when ever I've travelled I'm always struck by how much people hang out in there public spaces: town squares, plazas,parks. In the UK the only people hanging out in those areas are youths and winos.  We all to busy glued to the goggle box.....

@Cold Summer  great pics, would like to see more of Georgia neighbourhoods?

11 hours ago, Broark said:

What part of Georgia are you in? I grew up in the Marietta/Powder Springs area but haven't been back but once or twice in about ten years.

11 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I live near Marietta! I'm the opposite of you - grew up in Texas (Houston), but moved to GA when I was eleven and have lived here since (with the exception of my years in Japan.)

Dang i am also from Marietta. Parents still live in Indian hills

There really isn't all that much to see in my area , it's just a quiet residential area on the edge of Belfast , all the houses look pretty much the same but we're happy here . The last place we lived was on the Shankill road , it's a pretty notorious area with a fair bit of paramilitary activity.  Thankfully we were able to sell that house a few years back and move here 

20200420_110959

We live at the bottom of a hill so walking with Jack usually ends up me carrying him 

Nothing much at the top of the hill ... 

20200420_111312

We're pretty lucky to live at the start of the Cave Hill country park , haven't made it to the top since I was a kid walking it with my dad so it will be cool to do it with Jack in a few years 

20200420_11163220200420_111726

And back down the hill home , off in the distance you can just make out the cranes of the ship yard where the Titanic was built 

20200420_112500

Next time I'm on the Shankill I'll try and get a few pics 

Edited by Flash

I'm dreading if the 12th parades are gonna be cancelled due to the coronaviris  ( Not because of any loyalist pride or anything , that's pretty much non existent with me ) but because I know it will start a lot of riots around the city 

That's an excellent post @Suitedupmon the university in my city in partnership with Chinese investors have invested heavily in attracting their new cash cow 'international students' by buying up factories (and every other scrap of land they can get their hands on) in and around the old industrial quarter which have stood derelict since the outsourcing of the 1990's demolishing them and cramming in high intensity student flats, the city planners have let them ride roughshod because they're currently the only real investment in the city.  Some of the buildings are a right fucking eyesore just giant rectangles, they dwarf everything on the cityscape.

@Flash does the notoriety of Shankill road have much bearing on the house prices, for instance is there much difference between the price of the same type of house on or off it?
You can buy a terrace house in some parts of Sheff for £400,000 yet 4miles away in other parts of the city you would struggle to sell the exact same type of house for less than £30,000 it's total madness.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

@Double 0 Soul I guess its a tale as old as time. The developers have a prime deal with the city and the university. They are in-charge of this grand 2030 plan to renovate the entire city. Their predictive models are laughable to say the least. About twenty years ago, they knocked down one of the only low income housing developments in the city to build premium apartments that they are still struggling to fill.

@Double 0 Soul definitely does mate ,house price in Northern Ireland are generally lot less than the rest of the UK bit so are the wages. I bought the house on the shankill in 2011 for £67000 ( 3 bed semi ) , made a small profit and bought our house now for less than £200000 ( 4 bed detached ) , got a good deal on it though as the guy was going through a divorce and wanted shot of it 

A similar house to the one in the Shankill in our area now are around £16000

Edited by Flash

Here’s a prime example of fugly modern deconstructivist architecture in London (Nine Elms). Hard to beat for sheer aesthetic displeasure and whatthefuckery but on the up side, you could argue that it has something for everyone!

A9415C15-3250-40B1-BAEF-CD7AFDBDA039.jpeg

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Here’s a prime example of fugly modern deconstructivist architecture in London (Nine Elms). Hard to beat for sheer aesthetic displeasure and whatthefuckery but on the up side, you could argue that it has something for everyone!

It's a reject Transformer character...I couldn't come up with a cool sounding transformer-esque name so I'll borrow from Veep and go with "Cloud Botherer"