Show Us Around Your Neighbourhood

Double 0 Soul

Not a proper tour by any means but I took the dog for a walk with my son this evening so here are the selected highlights.

Silas (pooch, not son).

54D89193-9767-4743-BF32-6892BF108A62.jpeg

Cambodian Embassy!

F8D15B9C-76DF-453E-962C-4E15B5CD39AB.jpeg

5B927A65-2F57-4ED1-AE19-427576558AC5.jpeg

F671FD9D-DB4F-4290-8276-AB450D8C61A1.jpeg

Unusual motor...

3F385F1D-2F2C-49FE-9488-3A435E25F961.jpeg

51BD9CAC-2018-491F-952F-C7FEA82FC24B.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

A few more, taken from an essential shopping trip this morning.

View from the top of Roundwood Park on a hazy, sunny morning, sports fans should recognise this iconic arch instantly.

911E5877-BF9C-42F5-AA4D-78015AAED42C.jpeg

Local fire station, opened in 1934.

922563C6-53CC-4B8E-916A-BA1595D3036D.jpeg

Brahma Kumaris university - religious, spiritual organisation with its roots in Hinduism and provides a prominent role for women (I always see them strolling about in their white robes, usually with a smile on their face)

7E2EFC9C-4250-4E32-9B65-83B9A38E1ABB.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 4/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

Silas

54D89193-9767-4743-BF32-6892BF108A62.jpeg

You just had to name the whippet after a pair of jeans didn't you Martin... my old Silas denim from the mid 90's

IMG_1315

..primitive Freewheelers 1939 flashes, Levi-esque 1922 era rivets, 1940's 11MW-style patch, they've got it all goin'own, i had a pair of sweet-ass cords too B)

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Another blast... had Replay jeans back then... Chipie before that... all, once again, long disappeared... shame would have made some good posts... hard washed style!

Edited by MJF9

11 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Never heard of Silas jeans, I must say. In the mid-90s I was wearing Replay ring-spun 901s (they had a real vintage vibe) from Swank in Old Compton Street.

Here are my above mentioned cords..

IMG_1345

Silas was owned by some dude called Russell his surname escapes me for the moment.. in an age of graphic tee's and blazing logo's Silas was much more civalised, it was 90% cut and sew all made within the EU, they released a graphic/art novel loosely based on Silas Marner.
In the early 2000's it became Silas&Maria when he and (i'm assuming) Maria joined forces to add ladies wear to the range.
He got bought out by a Japanese group who instantly dropped the cut&sew range and just focused on producing graphic tee's with punk type Silas writing, often in lumo pink...fuck knows what happened after that.
A few of my friends owned small boutique clothing shops in the mid 90's my Mrs worked at one of them when she moved back to Sheff from Manchester... ive just raided her archives and found a Silas&Maria catalogue..
IMG_9222

IMG_9222

IMG_9222

IMG_9222

...The only bit of Silas clothing she still has is this short cropped hoody

IMG_9222

IMG_9222

Not long after this, the gouvernment New Deal scheme caught up with her and forced her to get a proper job... even to this day she's never had one B)

...anyway, enough of an interlude, who's next?

Great stuff Neal, I shall now inform people I named Silas after the Sheffield-based casualwear emporium, rather than the author!

During the 80s and 90s I also sported jeans from Fiorucci, Liberto (same parent company I believe), Chevignon and C17 - which now seems to be making a comeback. Another jeans brand, popular in London, although I never had them, was Ball.

Was GioGoi a thing in the 90's ? Think it was more linked to the club scene 

My cousin gave me a load of old gear when I was about 14/15 ( parents were skint so it was always much appreciated) , few pairs of 90's levis and some giogoi tees . Remember walking through town wearing one and this fella came up to me and was like " fucking right mate , giogoi " then shouted " up the ravers " he was off his head 

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

During the 80s and 90s I also sported jeans from Fiorucci, Liberto (same parent company I believe), Chevignon and C17 - which now seems to be making a comeback. Another jeans brand, popular in London, although I never had them, was Ball.

You’re bringing back locked away and vague memories!

Last time we were at it, I mentioned my mate had C17s with C17 patches all over them. We all thought they were super cool and they were super rare. He benefited from an older brother who used to go ‘touring’ Europe, returning with Head bags full of goodies. Earlier years saw the first Fila and Ellesse trackies round our way (trackies thereafter remaining popular, before anyone says it :)).

I remembered I eventually copped  a pair of black denim C17s with the patch half on show out of the back pocket. Worn with a long sleeved black shirt with red flowers on it (can’t explain it) and long hair. Was the end of 6th form / summer break attire - in fact the summer of love!

I later had some ecru jeans which I think (baffling me atm) were C17 and worn with a denim shirt mostly during a summer camping holiday in Amsterdam. Post lockdown, I need to visit my mothers old photo stash in the attic. 

Ball jeans! I had these (pair not mine). That was a proper blast Maynard - well recalled.

D32D5E87-B385-4622-A038-F39156601085.jpeg

There was the green hardback book called Where Is Silas? My copy is gathering dust somewhere in the loft but I did find this on my little rummage.
D5B45D14-5D57-4232-9784-E309538E6032.thumb.jpeg.c205077ea85a89a1c859bc948c7d3550.jpeg

They worked very closely with James Jarvis (illustrator of the above) who I was/am a huge fan of. He created Amos Toys and was a keen cyclist I alway remember. I splurged far too much on his little toys and sold them all a few years back which I regretted immediately afterwards. 

Silas & Maria still going in Japan. But as you point out Neal, nothing like what it was back in the day. 

https://instagram.com/silasandmariajp?igshid=13hwoj97d2wje

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

@Double 0 Soul never had Silas but iirc they used to sell it in Hip in Leeds. Everton and Umberto used to get some great clothes in. It was a cracking independent shop back then. Now subsumed into JD Sports.

Loved Hip when I was a student in Leeds. The chap with the long ginger hair was super friendly and cool. My go to LVC stockist when I left A2 in Brum. Remember his brother had a little trainer boutique and wore head to toe Bape when it was impossible to find. 
Memories! I’m welling up over here.  

1 hour ago, unders said:

Loved Hip when I was a student in Leeds. Remember his brother had a little trainer boutique and wore head to toe Bape when it was impossible to find.

I used to know those dude's well! the 'little trainer boutique' was called SneakerVille, it was above a swanky shoe shop in the arcade just up from Vivienne Westwood, you had to go through the shoe shop and up some stairs... so you had to know it was there. The 2 guys who own it were/are called Warren and Robin. Robin was manager of Hip for a time prior to Sneakerville. I went to see Warren's band play one night in Leeds in the bsaement of a bar called Joseph's Well.

I haven't seen those guys for years...

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Ha yes above Jeffrey West with those pointy and gothic looking shoes. Yeah know Robin well - he’s at Hip again now. The issue was it was before it’s time - by comparison, the trainers game is buoyant nowadays with plenty of wheelers and dealers.

That Joseph’s Well venue is surprisingly big eh? I’ve only been once for a Bridewell Taxis reunion gig but seemed like a hidden cave.

2 hours ago, unders said:

There was the green hardback book called Where Is Silas? My copy is gathering dust somewhere in the loft but I did find this on my little rummage.
D5B45D14-5D57-4232-9784-E309538E6032.thumb.jpeg.c205077ea85a89a1c859bc948c7d3550.jpeg

Loved Hip when I was a student in Leeds. The chap with the long ginger hair was super friendly and cool. My go to LVC stockist when I left A2 in Brum. Remember his brother had a little trainer boutique and wore head to toe Bape when it was impossible to find. 
Memories! I’m welling up over here.  

Atoo was a regular haunt of mine and I still speak to Ming quite regularly. Really good guy, recently opened a cracking restaurant  (on pause during lockdown)

Edited by Geeman

@Double 0 Soul @unders

Coincidentally Warren posted this on IG tonight and thought you’d like. I only went to Sneakerville a few times. He now has a cool coffee shop called Mrs Athas. Last time I seen him his trainer count was iirc 674 pairs - full of rare pieces - and keeps most in a rented lock up!

2FC09297-73DF-4933-8C1E-DD199EA42A17.jpeg