Examples of Greencast/Redcast denim?

khaltire

Older natural indigo jeans have some what of a green hue.. I made a post about this awhile ago, because personally I love that greenish blue look you see on alot of pre distressed jeans

also, certain jeans give a dirtier, green/browner tint when faded, such as APCs, or 5EP resin boot cut raws

The edos have a green hue because the natural indigo is taken from a particular strain of plant, of chinese origin I think...

APC are redcast which is why they have an almost purple tint to em when raw. I think the green you see in faded APC could well be the result of stained denim, from years of use I guess beige yellow and brown stains built up from grease and dirt over countless abraisions, red dirt is less common. My APC and PBJ had a yellowish edge to them before I washed em, but it never quite comes out.

Some denim is made with a red or green cast, check out the omnigod thread, chicken describes how eternals are redcast and omnigods are greencast, Id guess it may have something to do with how the indigo ( synthetic ) is made, and that its something that can be controlled.

So yeah, there is redcast and greencast indigo, but I think the green affect occurs on both when faded what with a build up of yellowish brown grime and grease etc..

Also natural indigo has lots of impurities in its whereas sythetic not so much...

I dont own any blue samurais so I cant really help you with em..

The colour of the selvage has no bearing on the cast of the denim in the case of Levi's. The red selvage was used to differentiate the denim in Cone mills from other brands. The blue selvage was used on the 201 range to differentiate it from the 01XX fabric used for 501's as it was a lighter weight fabric. They even used pink selvage in the 30's for Lady Levi's!!

Before the yarns are woven into the denim fabric the cotton yarns are dyed and the indigo does not penetrate to the core. This is why when bits of the dye fade off you get the white core of the yarn showing through (fades).

Redcast denim, sometimes called true indigo is when the yarns are only dyed with indigo.

Greencast denim means that the yarns are dyed with a green dye before the indigo dying process. This means when the indigo is chipped off through wear the green dye shows through giving it a greenish tinge. This was invented by Levi's in 2002.

You can give denim any colour of cast as it is pre dying the yarn before the indigo dye is apllied.

Some dyes may have faded to have a natural green tint due to the chemicals used in the dying process since natural indigo was pretty much superceeded by synthetics in the early 1910's

Companies like Diesel love dying their washed jeans a sort of green hue. I think it makes lighter jeans look a thousand times better. I'm assuming that like everything else they try to do with their washes, the green cast is based on what really happens to old jeans.

Where does the green cast come from? Is there any way I can encourage my 17oz sammies to take this color? Anything I shouldn't do?

Some of the RRL jeans are kind of green cast.

One example of a non-raw green-cast denim that diesel made a while ago was the 81W fabric which is coincidentally very slubby:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-AUTHENTIC-DIESEL-KURATT-81W-DRAGON-POCKETS-JEANS_W0QQitemZ260106652724QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11483QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(ignore the lame back pockets - they made other jeans in the same fabric that were cleaner looking)

I have a pair of even stevens from nudie in the organic raw, they have a greenish tint to them, i tried finding pics of what it looks like when it fades but to no avail...I'm hoping they fade to a really light greenish/blueish color.

• 10 months later...
So, I know these are out of the price range, but some other redcasts are the Katos I'm wearing. The store site has great pictures, though of course color is monitor dependent.

http://www.bomberairport.co.uk/pants.htm

Hi.....

I just wanted to say that the Kato' red-cast is not a 'tinted' indigo it's a doulbe spun process. we spin a thread and hank dye it with a red organic dye, then spin a second 'coat' on un dyed cotton over the thread and re-hank dye it in double harvest indigo, dipping 35/40 times and steam locking the thread, it gives a slightly larger thread and a open weave......

just wanted to point it out.....

thanks

Neil

i believe selvedge lines have no bearing on the cast of the denim...PRPS has a purple selvedge line, and they sure don't have a purple tint.

yes APCs are redline selvedge

you're best off looking for some inexpensive natural indigo for the nicest green tints, i think. :)

Indeed. In general there is NO connection between color of the thread woven into the selvedge and the cast. Why should there be????

I have come across selvedge fabric with multiple color threads woven in (eg red/green, goldcolor threads, no threads at all, etc.

"and they sure don't have a purple tint."

and

"I have a pair of even stevens from nudie in the organic raw, they have a greenish tint to them"

Oh, forgot to mention that the terms are confused here:

cast: fabric property (due to the dyeing of the yarn before weaving)

tint: color added by laundry during wash process (check out the reverse side of the denim or the pocketlining of a washed jean to see if some tint has been added).

If you want a greenish or redish cast, maybe you could just add color to water and soak them. Perhaps if you added green ink on a hot soak at before wearing a new pair that was turned inside out it would be able to seep into the weft and present itself after the warp faded. I feel like green ink would actually stay in the threads really well. Maybe if you used regular dye instead it would work well too

Hi.....

I just wanted to say that the Kato' red-cast is not a 'tinted' indigo it's a doulbe spun process. we spin a thread and hank dye it with a red organic dye, then spin a second 'coat' on un dyed cotton over the thread and re-hank dye it in double harvest indigo, dipping 35/40 times and steam locking the thread, it gives a slightly larger thread and a open weave......

just wanted to point it out.....

thanks

Neil

Neil -- where you been, mate?

• 13 years later...

Red cast indigo, aka pure indigo ( no sulphur dye mix)

mmexport1597756917052.thumb.jpg.93061e8919c16a69a358714a55c2c233.jpg

Green cast indigo ( a bit extreme though, there are a lot of mild greencast in japanese denim that you can tell by the greenish hue),

Sorry for the terrible background it was taken long time ago at my work place.

Green Nov 2015 Back.JPG

2 hours ago, kenko said:

Red cast indigo, aka pure indigo ( no sulphur dye mix)

mmexport1597756917052.thumb.jpg.93061e8919c16a69a358714a55c2c233.jpg

Green cast indigo ( a bit extreme though, there are a lot of mild greencast in japanese denim that you can tell by the greenish hue),

Sorry for the terrible background it was taken long time ago at my work place.

Green Nov 2015 Back.JPG

Nice nice green cast is way more obvious than red cast

Some examples of one of my oldest pairs, Tanuki's previous red cast denim (they have a new release now, after a hiatus of almost 4 years):

Brand new.

Four months.

This is them at about 6 months.

Seven months.

They are now at about 10 months of wear and shelved as becoming a little tight with all the weight I've put on. Will hopefully get more photos of them shortly, but they seem to be evolving pretty quickly in their later stages.

4 hours ago, cause4pause said:

Some examples of one of my oldest pairs, Tanuki's previous red cast denim (they have a new release now, after a hiatus of almost 4 years):

Brand new.

Four months.

This is them at about 6 months.

Seven months.

They are now at about 10 months of wear and shelved as becoming a little tight with all the weight I've put on. Will hopefully get more photos of them shortly, but they seem to be evolving pretty quickly in their later stages.

Your jeans are famous on Google image search redcast denim fades

how does the shade differ when red cast is fades with a white weft

6 hours ago, Lalafufu said:

Your jeans are famous on Google image search redcast denim fades

how does the shade differ when red cast is fades with a white weft

That's very kind of you to say. This pair actually has a beige weft, which further accentuates the red cast. But I have also seen examples from others that have a much greener cast than I managed to achieve. 

It might have something to do with the frequency of washing, as the indigo dye supposedly oxidises more in the presence of moisture. Being active and sweating in those jeans might achieve the same effect.