New Contest Suggestions

Maynard Friedman

okay, i know i was pushing my luck with that suggestion. I'm currently wearing FC 1101s and have a pair of sugarcane MIJ 1966s incoming but I would be ok with the contest as long as the pattern used for the jeans isnt too 'different'. I'm mostly a regular jeans type of guy so the square pockets on the tender would be a show stopper for me. I'd be open to almost any fabric as long as the design isnt too radical and can be worn to the offce

5 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Even though the rainbow canes would be great, I think getting a pair is near impossible. They've been out of production since 2007 or so.

Great idea with making it a real contest: first you spent time/money finding rare rare jeans in deadstock condition in your size and than fade them for 2 years. the one manages - wins 

5 hours ago, mousemouse said:

okay, i know i was pushing my luck with that suggestion. I'm currently wearing FC 1101s and have a pair of sugarcane MIJ 1966s incoming but I would be ok with the contest as long as the pattern used for the jeans isnt too 'different'. I'm mostly a regular jeans type of guy so the square pockets on the tender would be a show stopper for me. I'd be open to almost any fabric as long as the design isnt too radical and can be worn to the offce

as a special production for contest he might would have made them with more traditional back pockets (even though I wore tenders to work just fine)

I felt the same way about the square pockets, but then I lucked into a pair (and now a second waiting in the wings) and realised nobody gives a rat's arse about..er..my arse and got over it. The pockets actually hold a long wallet better than most – I have a FH wallet with silver ring, and unless it sits above the pocket edge it chews through the fabric leaving a notch which is fine once the jeans age, but a bit annoying when they're still new-ish. For some reason the wallet sits where I want it to even though it's not pushed all the way down into the pocket. Otherwise, I find FH, Samurai and SC have the best pockets for that particular wallet. FC, UES not as good.. ah, first world problems, eh

The square pockets are one of the elements that make Tender jeans Tender jeans. I don't think it makes sense to ask William to change that, nor do I think it would make sense for him to do so. A small design quirk for a contest is one thing, a pocket redesign is another altogether.

On 12/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Just to throw another idea in the ring:

Make a new Denime XX/66XX contest. The last one was 10 years ago, Denime created the 30th Anniversary Original Line. You would have one denim in 2 different cuts. I'm sure the denim will be different to the denim from back then so maybe this could be interesting.

For what it’s worth, I second this suggestion. Denime has always been reliable for great denim with the potential for fantastic vintage-looking fades. 
Fit requirements would be catered for. The 66 is super versatile and can be sized down for those that want a tight-up fit and then we can go right through to the non-66 model which should please those after a more full fit.
Rigid and one wash available which could throw up some interesting differences early on. 
I assume we wouldn’t get any special details given the size of Denime, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. 

Edited by unders

been wanting to see how new 30th anniversary denim fades... it doesn’t appear to have the same texture (especially the horizontal warp slub you see so often in “classic” XX/66 denim), but that’s just looking at the raw/one-wash pics so i could be wrong.

it would be fantastic if someone could offer a few inseam lengths to preserve the taper of a cut when it’s worn shorter kind of like resolute does (although i’m 5’10 and i don’t know how many people care about this). might be too hard to pull off, but it could be limited to something like 28, 32 and 36.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, JDelage said:

The square pockets are one of the elements that make Tender jeans Tender jeans. I don't think it makes sense to ask William to change that, nor do I think it would make sense for him to do so. A small design quirk for a contest is one thing, a pocket redesign is another altogether.

yes and no, I like my tenders but I would be ok with them having any back pockets really as they deliver with many other little (and not only little like wattle dye) things. and he does not only square pockets (see Wrangler shaped pockets on his Whooper line). my idea was that as we are to have a limited batch and probably pretty customized they could come with pocket design we all agree here (square or not). for me: not square? good. square? excellent.

yeah. in one wash they are L34 as 81-82cm (along theirs website), less than 32.. usually I need 33 for little cuff ... I am too 6'2"

Edited by vIGGiou riou

Imo this thread won't get anywhere with so many ideas. I'd say there's nothing stopping us from doing more than one and get things rolling.

Seems like there's a few interested in a Tender contest. Someone should take the lead, check how many is up for it and go ahead with William if there's enough people.

Meanwhile Maynard's green jean contest could also take off for those interested in that idea.

And last but not least something else might also take shape.

I'm not really in contest mode ATM after 4 yrs of DWC's, but the thought of a Roy contest sparks an interest. But I'm stuck in TFH fan-boy mode 

19 hours ago, mpukas said:

I'm not really in contest mode ATM after 4 yrs of DWC's, but the thought of a Roy contest sparks an interest. But I'm stuck in TFH fan-boy mode 

I think between we agree on something and the contest start there will be a looong time for you to enjoy tfhs :D

I am participating in gbg contest at the moment and I am looking forward for the next one 'coz it's now even several months before it will begin.

and Roy contest is a great idea!

Edited by dau

happy hols y'all

any possibility of a warehouse contest seems dead in the grass

for what is around right now: I feel tender is most sufu worthy aka least contest historical precedents etc with best product and available supplier

my barrier to tender contest is simply that is what I am wearing at the present moment, i.e. at current moment have an 18 month plan (contract) of wear to a 132 right now from which I am loath to deviate (and would, for entirely selfish reasons, most like to wear alongside a hyper vintage '47 warehouse cut)...

... would advise 129 as the general interest model - and yes: it is the square pockets that makes them: great jeans, great denim, great brutally simple design 

would most likely watch rather than join a roy event: happily raising a glass of cheer

Edited by bartlebyyphonics