New Contest Suggestions

Maynard Friedman

I think the interest in Tender will be limited to a handful of people. I’d love to see the SDA 10* range in a contest. It’s a stubborn denim in a variety of cuts to suit  most folk and we’ve seen very few contemporary examples (although I have a superbly faded pair of 101) since the 103 had its Sufu heyday about 13 years ago.

2 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

this thread is a mission to Mars. Funny that seems impossible to get even a minimal support from Warehouse. @Bobbo any news from your pals? We can perhaps give it another shot through a different shop (either in JP or overseas) before abandoning the idea?   

I think they've been super busy lately. Both with work and private matters. I'll check with them again. 

Also think a poll might be good. Can it be made so we can vote for multiple ideas? So we can see which idea gets the most hands on deck. 

On 12/3/2019 at 4:47 AM, oomslokop said:

apart from having already had a warehouse contest, the brand is almost too fail-proof? everyone is pretty much guaranteed cool fades by the end of the contest. i like contests where the denim is a bit more stubborn and would not show any progress for months then suddenly, bam!, like the ooe lefty contest, the devis, the tcb 50s. i'm still gunning for tender tho, it's quite a bit different from your average jeans in cuts and details, i wanna see how people dress it up/down. 

we haven’t really seen the new warehouse denim fade yet so i think it would be a nice choice for a contest, but i’m also just kicking myself for not getting a pair of the 46 1003xx.

tender isn’t my thing, but i can see it making an interesting comp.

8 hours ago, Hendsch said:

20180714_085527.jpg

That looks awesome! The back pockets and their placement over the yoke has always been weird to me though. Do you happen to have a pic of the backside? (Do love their shirts and fabrics/dyeing techniques though!)

another possibility still with a tender flavour could be a "whooper contest". 

whooper is a tender sub-brand: https://www.tenderstores.com/brand/whooper/

four different weave (rht, lht, plain, broken twill) and four different cuts, including a bootcut. 

the vibe is more resolute-ish. made in japan mall jeans.

i've never tried one and there are practically no worn examples in the wild except for bill's. 

everyone can pick one of the four alternatives, we'll end up with a good understanding of the whooper range's potentials.

I'm also in favor of the contest pair(s) having the same fabric. It seems like there's some vague (maybe very vague) consensus on either Warehouse or Tender. Maybe we can narrow it down to either:

1. Tender contest: same fabric, pick your own cut (e.g. Unborn Denim as it's offered in most Tender cuts)
  2. Warehouse contest: same fabric and cut (e.g. 1001XX or one of the Duck Digger models)

Availability/inventory for these pairs may also be a factor.

Edited by discwork

• 2 weeks later...

Just to throw another idea in the ring:

Make a new Denime XX/66XX contest. The last one was 10 years ago, Denime created the 30th Anniversary Original Line. You would have one denim in 2 different cuts. I'm sure the denim will be different to the denim from back then so maybe this could be interesting.

would a sugarcane rainbow denim contest be too far off? I joined the denim jean hobby 2010 and have since only tried the regular lines from the big brands. I've had samurai, sda, warehouse, roy, eternal, etc.. but I keep going back to sugarcane. Its probably going to be next to impossible since i have not seen much rainbow denim posts in the past years, but I hope it is possible.