Maynard Friedman

New Contest Suggestions

40’s cut from a lesser known brand would be great but a shirt or maybe jacket contest would interest me even more. Pending cut and price I’m in.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

My preference (FWIW) is a Warehouse WWII cut in their (13.5oz?) Duck Digger denim. 

Will Maynard join a contest?

Who knows? Although I suspect his primary role is that of a voyeur.

C'mon Maynard, you know you want in.
I've edited my first post with a list of people that have chimed in so far, let me know if you want to be removed from this list.

14 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Any specific month in 1942 Paul? :P

Oh sorry I meant 44. My bad.

Here here to the shirt idea (with tuckable length)

@Iron Horse maybe something to think about... 40s detailing being the emerging theme.

Edited by MJF9

count me in for a possible contest

leaning very much to a Ooe contest pair

Warehouse (14.5oz) and Freewheelers would be great too but I doubt we could arrange anything special

I'm in for a wider pair but preferably with a slight taper

A matching chambray shirt would be very cool

9 hours ago, JDelage said:

I'd like to hear from @rodeo bill whether he would have the bandwidth to do something with us, at least in terms of custom details (I for one do not care that much about a prize). The advantage of Tender is the ease of communication and the fact that there are existing slimmer & looser cuts... It doesn't preclude anything, but if Bill tells us he does not have the bandwidth, we shouldn't spend more time debating it. I'd love it if he could, personally...

Thanks so much for all this guys, very flattered to be considered! I'd love to be involved in theory, but I'm afraid I have a backlog on jeans production at the moment, and I couldn't offer a special run until existing retailer orders are made up. I'll have a general restock of standard styles around the end of the year/January, but it'll be late Spring/Summer before I can realistically do anything special. Do anyone get in touch if this circles back, but in the meantime I'm afraid I can't promise a specific date for stock. 

Thank you for chiming in. That simplifies things quite a bit.

5 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

40’s cut from a lesser known brand would be great but a shirt or maybe jacket contest would interest me even more. Pending cut and price I’m in.

Ditto 

For what it's worth, seems like this coming Spring / Summer, while a bit away, is still probably sooner than any of the Japanese brands we've been discussing would be able to have anything up and running for us. @rodeo bill—current time constraints aside, is a special run for a "contest" something to which you might be amenable in the future?

I'd be interested.  I have usually stuck to IH and heavyweight denim, but the DWC contest just ended and it feels weird to not participate in some contest.

14 minutes ago, crescent said:

If we have some time, then WH Ranch?

Not sure if serious.:huh:

38 minutes ago, crescent said:

10 years later and only 5 out of ~20 of us end up with the jeans we paid for if we’re lucky.

I’m in for Warehouse or SDA - straight cut, don’t mind decade or year - with or without shirt/jacket.

no need to wait for the other contest to end...

49 minutes ago, crescent said:

I read this as a sly sarcasm and laughed out loud.

I'd be in for Warehouse (a 40's cut in the new denim would be ace!), Ooe, Freewheelers, or Resolute. With a shirt would be double ace.

Edited by Josh'N'Roll

10 minutes ago, Foxy2 said:

don’t mind decade or year

Looks like another vote for WH Ranch then, assuming Foxy’s talking about the start date.

WHRanch is missing in my collection...

Just throwing another one out there: Bowery Blue Makers? 

I’d be in for OOE or Freewheelers 

3 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

WHRanch is missing in my collection...

It’s missing from a lot of collections! :laugh2:

^ True, including those of people who paid for them in full about 5 years ago. 

I quite like the idea of everyone who’s interested in some kind of contest just grabbing an unworn pair of jeans from their stash/pile/wardrobe/denim chest/etc and agreeing to wear them for a year. 
Most of us have a pair ready to go and this would encourage wearing what we already have rather than indulging in further unnecessary consumerism and the accompanying carbon footprint. The ‘green jean’ contest if you like. There could be no prize or each contestant could chip in a sum, eg £10/$10/€10. All contestants get a secret vote and winner takes the pot. C’mon everyone, Greta T would be proud!

tender! or maynard's last suggestion, which in my case might also be tender.

Joking aside, I like the idea. I wouldn't mind going with my Eternal 811, which has been worn a grand total of one day thus far. It'd be good motivation to stick with one pair for a while, compared to what I'm currently doing, wearing a couple different pairs in rotation.

I personally like the idea of everyone having the same pair of jeans- cool to see how everyone’s lifestyles and fits effect the same pair of jeans. If we all get different jeans, then  people should just join the DWC.