New Contest Suggestions

Maynard Friedman

so... fwiw

for the green route: prob. for me it would be some oversize tender 132 imma already just rocking with about a week real wear (my rotation possibilities right now operate around tcb, lvc, tender, vintage Oshkosh) 

40s route: exactly those ones cusswords is pointing out - the wh '46-ers (I was pointing them out in the end of the tcb 20s thread; new warehouse denim, innit...) or fw 601xx 47s

osaka 5 route: for me, as above once wh restock...

if there is a tender contest; 129 cut would prob. cover most peoples bases here, but done got / worn 4 tender pairs already (inc. 132 mentioned above); which shows how much I like them, but not sure I can do a 5th rite now

for shirt ideas... as @Iron Horse is kindly listening; am currently wearing the clutch-cafe / burgus plus collab mostly as it is the only one of the burgus plus popovers there with around 20 inches shoulder (and the longhorn wh collar too narrow) - if vintage details workwear popover possible with half-placket zip (like picture below) in heavy chambray or 7-10 oz. denim would be amaze-balls ... [impossible and narcissistic request, I know, but gotta try... )

8OV9xy5h.png

in full sympathy for maynard's green idea: think everyone in the whole forum should get straight to it (launch in a weeks time? how to organise prize tho? £10 each sounds good... and judges: the three with the oldest deadstock NOS pair being worn - who must then be exempt from winning comp. but get to vote using the tcb method just gone - i.e. each nominates a top 3 each with an ascending point value attached, top number wins... ?)

and then, may 2021 or so... 40s comp with denimba and snazzy new Iron Horse shirt...

simples. 

[and to throw in complications; 12 month, but with summer break, to begin a 3-4 year open rolling contest for 10-9oz. jeans for summer >with north and south equator addressed equally< ... PaulT and his natural indigo needs to be involved)

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

4 hours ago, ecsong187 said:

I’d be down for a Century Denim contest. That would be really cool. 

Would also open up the possibility for folks choosing between jeans and jackets—I’ve had one of those riders on my list for a long while

If we went Maynard’s route I’d be in with either the MP-619 or the M41200; neither have more than a dozen or so wears (would that put me in the category of judges, or contestants?)…that said, a contest with different folks wearing different jeans doesn’t seem like much of a contest; that’s just folks wearing jeans

Edited by julian-wolf

I have to also join the camp with Julian. 
not really interested in a contest where everyone wears whatever they want. 
I’ve always enjoyed when everyone has the same pair but they all age so differently. 

While I like the idea of a every wo/man for themselves I do think it’s just kinda like what we already do on a day to day basis. I like the idea of having a set pair of unique jeans if we can all (mostly) agree on something. It is a bit like herding cats.

I think the aspect we can agree on so far is 40’s detailing. Will (Tender) has mentioned he would be open to it, WH is being explored, potentially a Rite-Stuff companion shirt, and I’ll chat with Roy next weekend. Lots of moving parts.

i would love to get a pair in the new warehouse denim and the 46 seems like a pretty nice cut that should work for most people. something like the fw47 cut seems to have a much higher rise and i'm not sure if i could pull it off. 

i have been wondering if WH will bring the new denim back for the january catalog, but when i asked (about a month ago) they would only say they had nothing planned (other than the jacket). 

would be great to see some pics of how it fades as i think a few people on here got the 46.

@bartlebyyphonics I have been considering a zipper-front pullover for a while since I started to get into Bug Yank/Reliance Mfg as, AFAIK, they were the first to introduce one in 1930 with the Zipper Ace cigarette pocket model:

42827F67-2417-4947-AB6B-706F2697E6B5.jpeg

14A2E3C3-47E5-43C2-A17F-236EB75E7923.jpeg

A non-cig version would be nice too, for the more OCD-inclined:

668A3333-CAB2-4C9E-9706-847F68E285C7.jpeg

Edited by Iron Horse

I’d be more into one specific jean/shirt/or jacket vs. a free for all, especially considering I’m just coming off of the DWC contest which is pretty much that. 

A 40s cut would be cool. That’s a hole in my collection, but I’ve also been drooling over Resolute and Tender recently. 

Cost depending, I’m in. Between $250-350 would be a real sweet spot.

edit: just checked out the Warehouse Duck Diggers 1946 since it’s been mentioned a few times on this thread and would def be into that. 

Edited by erockisalive

Maybe there's a way to bridge the divide. For example, we could ask William (next Spring) to put aside / make for us pairs in his Unborn Denim with some (limited) custom detailing but we each get to choose our cut. Everything would be prepaid to prevent any inventory risk to Will. Maybe we can agree on a custom detailing that does not impact his normal workflow too much. (We would need William to measure existing pairs for us...)

That way there's a common theme (provenance, fabric), but people who like a slimmer cut and people who like a looser fit all get to participate. I suppose we could make something like that work with some other makers who have several cuts in the same fabric (SDA, WH, etc). We could also look at other makers in Europe or the US with whom communication would be easy (e.g., maybe Christophe @ MFSC could make our choice of cut in the 80/20 denim, I don't know).

I happen to have an untouched 40's WH (Lot DD-1003XX 1945 model) at home in Seattle but of course I didn't bring it for my year in France. The 1946 looks sold out on Wharehouse's site, unless I'm not looking at the right one. (I see they have a 1951 model out. Interesting.)

Edited by JDelage

I was thinking exactly the same thing as @JDelage above, using the same denim in similar cuts to be more inclusive to a wider range of body types and preferences, eg:

- SDA 10* range

- Warehouse 800, 900, 1001, etc in whatever the standard denim on offer is (14.5oz?)

- Full Count 1109, 1108, 1101, 0105 in their 13.7oz denim 

- etc, etc, I’m sure there are others.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Narrowing it down to Osaka 5 or any specific concept would be the way for an “open” contest.

I would also think that Bowery Blue Makers would come down in price for a contest lot.

Kind of like the idea of approaching Dawson Denim if enough interest could be secured...

1 hour ago, nycsurfer530 said:

Selfedge will now carry warehouse! Maybe @kiya could help organize a warehouse contest to kick off the selfedge warehouse partnership?

That'd be super cool. A request has been sent already to WH through Bobbo's friends shop in Gothenburg, We have to wait to hear from them before we contact other shops/dealers.

like many others have said  I don't get the appeal of a multibrand contest with people wearing different jeans. to be fair I don't get either the appeal of different cuts/fits, and I would be keen on joining a contest with one single brand/cut/fabric, and a repro jean. I appreciate many of you guys are throwing ideas to make a contest as inclusive as possible, but I think the sweet spot would still be 20/30 people.
warehouse would be my absolute favourite, I am wearing my first pair Warehouse these days and I think it'ìs the only brand that I've experienced so far that does it for me as much as Tcb. Roy would be amazing too, especially if he agrees to work on a repro-oriented project. I would personally be a bit concerned that a Roy contest pair may end up be too expensive, but I guess I would cave and buy if I like what we can get.

Self Edge tend to favour slimmer cuts, so I can’t see them coming up with anything that would suit the requirements of the repro heads on here unless it’s a standard 800, 1001, etc. I could see them coming up with a slim straight collaboration though.

40s WWII is appealing to me too.

For the sake of throwing out another idea:  what about a Sugar Cane 50/50 contest? There's quite a few variations (both in weight and cut) available in addition to the standard Okis & Hawaiis that we could have a coherent theme without a fixed uniform contest pair. You could even conceivably include some Mister Freedom pairs.

prefer the one jeans for all route; the anti-consumerism idea has a nice pitch to it but I think it will dilute the enthusiasm because there is no real comparison possible.

Since Ooe are probably out of question? I'd go with a pair of WH too provided they are the 14.5or or new duck digger denim.

oh and @Iron Horse I'd love to have a front zipper pullover indigo shirt to go along with the denim

Someone is going to have to get a grip of this beast.
Many good ideas here but nothing like a solution or plan so far. At some point that will have to change in order to progress this further. 

Anyone want to throw together a poll of all the broad suggestions and see what comes out? 

5 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Many good ideas here but nothing like a solution or plan so far. At some point that will have to change in order to progress this further. 

Anyone want to throw together a poll of all the broad suggestions and see what comes out? 

waiting to see if @Bobbo & co. bring anything back from warehouse conversations pls.

5 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Boncoura

def. contender... really like their work: sewing, dyeing and material is superb

edit: are the alpha shadows boys still the only non-japan link (strangely I may know a way into their loop?)

really would like something like the cinch back [yeh yeh we know I idiot] - but this does feels strange mix of lee (cinch placement) and levis (back pocket construction)

https://www.alphashadows.com/latest-arrivals/boncoura-cinch-back-denim

but my aim for contest: variations on '37 or '44/'46 (warehouse new denim) remains...

and @Iron Horse zip front shirt omg yes pls... (with a tuckable 20" shoulder option?)

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

@bartlebyyphonics 20-inch shoulders (50 cm) would be my XXL. :)

People are mentioning indigo fabric; do you mean blue chambray? There is an overdyed indigo chambray (like wabash sans the patterns) but it’s expensive, same goes for discharge-dyed wabash. 

Tuckability is no worries; the Atlas was a bit short but Heracles 2 will be longer and that will be the standard length going forward!

Edited by Iron Horse